Army Residency Selection Results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any percentage/results for the Army Dental Post-graduate programs (including AEGD-1)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they have already been published. Is there something you are looking for in particular?

BTW...I typed the real words above..for some reason, it edited them to end with the n'...must be some "cool" April fools joke by the admins..

Do you know the selection rate for AEGD-1, AEGD-2, Pros, and OS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Sir,

I'm curious as to the selection rates for the 1 and 2 year AEGD programs. Thanks!

I can tell you the AEGD Numbers...there are 48 slots for the one year program. There were around 130 people that came in...I don't have that exact number..but that is a pretty good ballpark.

There were 38 people that applied for the 20 2 year slots. I have the breakdown on the slide of how many were in school vs on Active Duty.

2 year: 27 Active duty applicants, 14 accepted. 11 Dental School, 6 accepted.
Pros: 10 applied 4 accepted. AD: 6/2 Dental school: 4/2.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you suppose that the AD applicants have lower acceptance rates than dental school applicants?

Hope that helps!

Thank you sir. Also, in the past years is the likelihood of getting the 1 or 2 year AEGD high? Do the waitlists for these residencies tend to move quickly?

Members don't see this ad :)

Hope that helps!

Do you have the numbers for other specialties as well?

63B: 38/20 AD: 27/14, Student: 11/6
Perio: 6/4, 5/4, 1/0
Endo: 20/8, 18/8, 2/0
Pros: 10/4, 6/2, 4/2
OMS: 32/11, 20/3, 12/8
Ortho: 14/3, 11/1, 3/2
Pub health: 3/1, 3/1, NA

That should help!

What are the percentages for AF? Are they pretty similar? I am particularly interested in the AEGD-1 and 2

What are the percentages for AF? Are they pretty similar? I am particularly interested in the AEGD-1 and 2

I believe the percentages for the AEGD-1 is much higher due to more available spots, while AEGD-2 is lower for the AF.

Airborne Dentist, could you provide the numbers for the specialties during the 2015 cycle and the 2016 cycle that's being revealed tomorrow? Thanks for all your insight.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it safe to assume that if there's not as many alternates as there are specialty slots given, then the results are showing all those who applied to the position?

For example, if there are 8 spots for endo and 3 alternates were selected, that means only 11 applied?

Is it safe to assume that if there's not as many alternates as there are specialty slots given, then the results are showing all those who applied to the position?

For example, if there are 8 spots for endo and 3 alternates were selected, that means only 11 applied?
I would be fairly doubtful that only 11 people applied, but I have no official numbers. I know for OMFS this is absolutely not true because last year I applied and didn't even get waitlisted.

For those confused about the "validated" spots on the selection list released yesterday, I know that at least for the OMFS side of things, those two spots were candidates applying to civilian spots for 6 year programs. If they are successful, then those two spots will open to draw from the waitlist for replacements

Last edited:
Endo: 20/8, 18/8, 2/0

As far as Endodontics goes, does this mean that selection boards mostly look at AD for candidates? Would being accepted to endo straight from school considered to be an exception? My only guess would be a lot of dental students go through BOLC upon graduation and have to wait until next cycle, which by then they'll be AD, to apply for Endo.

As far as Endodontics goes, does this mean that selection boards mostly look at AD for candidates? Would being accepted to endo straight from school considered to be an exception? My only guess would be a lot of dental students go through BOLC upon graduation and have to wait until next cycle, which by then they'll be AD, to apply for Endo.
The most recent result has at least 3 new grads out of 8 slots. This is new. It appears having good a GPA plays a critical factor (although they say they look at the "whole person"). Waiting a year or two just to apply for residency will not improve one's candidacy.

Having said, endo is a great gig in the Army, and it is very competitive. Army is only taking 6 for the upcoming cycle (due to budget, downsizing, etc), and it may likely stay this way for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have heard of people getting offers for the 1 year AEGD already. Would it be safe to assume that the Army extends 48 offers at once, and then moves down the waitlist? If this is the case, when does one find out they are on the waitlist? Thanks!

I haven't heard of any Army AEGD results being offered yet but I do know Air Force has released there's.
Last year's Army class did not find out until right after Christmas (at least at our school).

I haven't heard of any Army AEGD results being offered yet but I do know Air Force has released there's.
Last year's Army class did not find out until right after Christmas (at least at our school).

I've heard of two people, one of which in my class and one on SDN. When you found out, was it in December still or January?

I've heard of two people, one of which in my class and one on SDN. When you found out, was it in December still or January?

I talked to my recruiter today and they told me that I was an alternate on the wait list.