Residency ranking and Research in another field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ldiazag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently geared up for an ophthalmology residency, 245 step, strong letters and 5+ ophtho pubs with more to come from a year off of research between years M2 and M3.

However, after this year I have become more and more set in going all in for Neurosurgery instead.

I am curious as to whether any of this ophtho research (Retina if that helps ;) will translate over to help me with a NS app or is it more of a red flag to switch away from one field into another that requires even more dedication....

I can make peace with the fact that because of this sudden switch I should not expect to be competitive any of the top academic NS residencies. But would a mid to lower tier residency acceptance provide any other problems in my future job market (including geographic preference) outside of joining an academic institution? I am not very keen on setting apart another year off to demonstrate my dedication, but I will if enough people believe it is really necessary.

This decision is not an easy one to make, and I am certainly losing sleep over it simply because it is hard to throw away a strong application into one field into a mid to low tier application into another (far more interesting) field. I would really appreciate your answers, comments and critiques.

Tx!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't help as much as five neurosurgery pubs and I would do my best to try to publish something neurosurgical, even a case report. You still should be fairly competitive but as you mentioned you may get less interest from research heavy programs. Job market is tricky, but there tends to be jobs available for everyone but where and why one goes somewhere is complex. Essentially if you are willing to take a worse job your options both financial and geographical expand.