Residency Permit/Physician Licensing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coupa22

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in some major predicament and really need some constructive advice. My post is long, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my story: abt 8/9 years ago I was enrolled in a US DO medical school. During my second year, my father passed away, and I got involved in a nasty divorce and child custody battle with my ex-husband. Needless to say I was under immense stress, my grades were dropping and I was getting close to being kicked out of school. I held it together as long as I could. Then during a midterm I was so afraid of failing and losing my daughter that for reasons beyond my best judgement, I got caught cheating in a mid term exam. I wasn’t given any warning or anything, but the Dean dismissed me from the school. I’m not in anyway blaming anyone or anything else but myself. But the duress under which I was in, I don’t wish that on my worst enemy.

After finalizing my divorce and all, I went and got my Masters in Science degree and was then enrolled in a Caribbean medical school. I got a letter from one of the assistant deans at my previous DO school who was sympathetic to my circumstances and helped me get into this Caribbean school.

Fast forward to now, I have graduated with my MD degree with multiple honors and needless to say I don’t have any further blemishes on my record. I have worked extremely well in all my clinical rotations and have honored most. I will also be getting some excellent LORs from the attendings I worked with. 2-3 of the hospitals I worked at also mentioned to apply there and that they see me “matching there and becoming a successful physician”.

Now to my question. I will be applying to the residency match next year (I had to work the past year to have enough money to apply but I have been doing clinical research so I’m working in the field). But my question is, in the event I actually do match (I’m aware it won’t be easy), I will have to disclose the DO school dismissal when I apply for my resident permit and later when I apply for my physician license. So I’m wondering if that will definitely prevent me from getting my resident permit license/medical training license in the near future and my physician license in 3-4 years down the line?
P.S. I am well aware being dismissed from a medical school for academic dishonesty is a huge deal. And I’m truly remorseful for it. But given I have successfully completed a Masters degree since then, and a full MD degree and have 7-8 years of gap from that incidence with no other blemishes, would that, at all help me in some way to get my residency license and then onto my physician license.
Please help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.