Osteopathic Internship Year Licensing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvnner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does licensing work for an IM internship in Pennsylvania? Are interns given a provisional license at the outset from the state agency then at the end of the internship year apply for the full DO license? Would any kind of exam be required for the license other than completion of COMLEX 3? Do we need to renew that license or complete CMEs during PGY-2 and PGY-3?

Are the inservice exams taken each PGY year mainly to measure progress toward board exam readiness? I guess the exams will never end:)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How does licensing work for an IM internship in Pennsylvania? Are interns given a provisional license at the outset from the state agency then at the end of the internship year apply for the full DO license? Would any kind of exam be required for the license other than completion of COMLEX 3? Do we need to renew that license or complete CMEs during PGY-2 and PGY-3?

Are the inservice exams taken each PGY year mainly to measure progress toward board exam readiness? I guess the exams will never end:)

Thanks.

Most of this can/will be answered by the program you matched into. I don't know what the training license requirements are in PA but your program will tell you what you need to know. You may or may not need to get a full unrestricted license in your R2 year (again...your program can help you).

A quick look at the PA licensing board website shows me that, in addition to COMLEX 3, you have to take their OMT exam to get a license. The renewal cycle can be found on the same website (Google it yourself, I already closed the window) to let you know how often you need to renew it and what CME is required of you while you're still a trainee. In my state (a good 2500 miles from PA), no CME is required as long as your still a resident/fellow as it's assumed that your training program will be all the CME you need.

Finally, yes, In-Training Exams are to help you and your program assess your progress and don't formally count for anything (unless you're in a ACGME Gen Surg program in which case they count a lot).

Finally, yes, In-Training Exams are to help you and your program assess your progress and don't formally count for anything (unless you're in a ACGME Gen Surg program in which case they count a lot).

Not quite true. In-service exams are not SUPPOSED to count for anything, and they cannot have an effect on your progression. However, programs will use performance on in-service exams to "rank" their own residents unofficially and will essentially use your score as a method to judge how "good" of a resident you are.

None of this officially happens, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not quite true. In-service exams are not SUPPOSED to count for anything, and they cannot have an effect on your progression. However, programs will use performance on in-service exams to "rank" their own residents unofficially and will essentially use your score as a method to judge how "good" of a resident you are.

None of this officially happens, of course.

Hence the "formally" in my post.

Thanks for the good feedback. I checked the state licensing requirements and was relieved to see that they waive the OMT exam if you have passed the COMLEX-PE.