applying for state license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PunaHI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my internship year and had planned to work locum tenens in a neighboring state that required only 1 year to get licensed. However, even though the license and individual jobs require only 1 year, the locums companies require 6 months of experience outside of residency. I can't get experience if I can't get hired but I can't get hired without the experience! I'm not working and being away from patients is killing my chances. I don't want to get a license because I don't know what state I might come across something and because money is tight since I'm not working. I feel so stuck! Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my internship year and had planned to work locum tenens in a neighboring state that required only 1 year to get licensed. However, even though the license and individual jobs require only 1 year, the locums companies require 6 months of experience outside of residency. I can't get experience if I can't get hired but I can't get hired without the experience! I'm not working and being away from patients is killing my chances. I don't want to get a license because I don't know what state I might come across something and because money is tight since I'm not working. I feel so stuck! Any advice?
Go back and finish a residency.

Easier said than done.
No one will take me since I used my year of funding in a TRI and I've been away from patients since finishing last summer so it makes it beyond tough to get a second year spot. I'm limited geographically which I've been told it my biggest set back. I had no idea the process would be so difficult and felt so unprepared for this side of the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Easier said than done.
No one will take me since I used my year of funding in a TRI and I've been away from patients since finishing last summer so it makes it beyond tough to get a second year spot. I'm limited geographically which I've been told it my biggest set back. I had no idea the process would be so difficult and felt so unprepared for this side of the process.
Getting into a residency will be easier than getting someone to hire you in the current situation.

What have you been doing this year, other than trying to get a license and a job?

And if you want to continue with a career in medicine, you need to ditch the geographic limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, if I were you, I would cough up the money and get a license in at least one state. That will open the door for you to at least work on federal land/for federal agencies.

In the longrun though, I would recommend returning and finishing a residency. Something short like FM or Preventive Medicine, etc. should do just fine. Some programs (especially new ones looking to fill PGY-2 spots) may be interested in giving you some credit for the TRI too.