Residency opportunities New school vs. Established School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POPS45

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of an advantage do students who attend an established school have over students at a new school when they are trying to attain a residency spot?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are speaking about LMU and RVU then we can't really be sure, since no one has graduated from them yet.

Im actually talking about Tourocom and I know no one has graduated from there, but I was curious to see if people thought a graduate from a new school would have difficulty getting a residency that a graduate from an established school would be able to attain.

Members don't see this ad :)
besides board scores etc, residencies from what i've been explained also depends on connections. And an established school would have those in place for you.

Im actually talking about Tourocom and I know no one has graduated from there, but I was curious to see if people thought a graduate from a new school would have difficulty getting a residency that a graduate from an established school would be able to attain.

I believe that somewhere in the NYCOM discussion thread, someone mentioned that the person who was in charge of the residency applications/program at NYCOM is now at TouroNY, and will be setting up the same thing there. So the situation at TouroNY may be a bit different than RVU. I would guess that wthin a couple of years at least, good residencies may be as easy to match into from TouroNY as other more established schools, given that your grades and board scores are comparable.

none of us can give you any real answers....

But I can "guess" that it shouldn't be a problem with residency spots, I mean, think about it, new schools will have a reputation to protect, if they pump out DO/MD degrees but no good residency spots, no one is going to want to attend the school.... so Im pretty sure they'll have some sort of ties to major hospitals so they can ensure that thier graduates will have spots.

I was wondering this same thing and I asked my doctor(who is a DO). He said that an older school will have a reputation and will have numbers to show who matched where, but it doesn't necessarily mean that a newer school will hurt you. I guess you could ask some graduates of newer schools such as PCSOM. These guys have a pretty impressive match list. If the school is accredited, sanctioned by the AOA, and goes through AACOM I couldn't see why there would be a problem matching. I guess that is more up to us not the schools.

What happens if someone doesn't match anywhere, allo or osteo? Are they done or do they have to wait a year (doing nothing)?

What happens if someone doesn't match anywhere, allo or osteo? Are they done or do they have to wait a year (doing nothing)?

They SCRAMBLE...like mad...

I heard some students who go to carribean (esp. Ross) end up doing nothing after their schooling because they couldn't match into US residencies.

from the doctors I spoke to, a United States Medical Graduate "might" not end up in his first or 2nd choice residency, but majority do end up in "some" residency. Its very hard to land zero residencies, you almost have to try to not get a spot (like going into the interview and litterally telling them to F off)