DO Schools & Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

I did some GPA math and discovered one rough semester when something bad happened in my personal life tanked my Grade Point Average more than I thought it did. My cGPA is 3.6-something and my sGPA is 3.50, so I am thinking I will definitely have to dual-apply DO. I have enough earned credits that I won't be able to change my GPA much with more credits.

Anywho, I have definitely heard that research makes people more competitive for more competitive residencies and (down the road) fellowships. I am not sure I'm a person who could handle doing research during the academic year which leaves the summer after M1 and the possibility of a research year between M2 and M3.

What do DO students do for finding a research position considering most DO schools don't have an academic medical center attached? They aren't SOL for taking research years, are they?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh. Cross bridges when you get to them.

You can do research at any school. If they don’t have a hospital affiliation, they either 1. have faculty doing projects who need help (all D.O. schools) 2. have an attached undergraduate campus with projects (NYITCOM-JB, BCOM, CUSOM, etc), 3. are in large cities with research opportunities nearby (TUNCOM, PCOM-GA, etc), 4. ???, 5. Idk just all schools have opportunities.

The basic science research isn’t as common for med students (might be wrong, I’m an incoming M1) but rather data entry and collection. Especially if you’re working with medical school faculty, they know you won’t have time to do full bench work during the year.

TL;DR every...yes every...school has research opportunities. The quality of research opportunities will differ

Reactions: 1 user
Try and get into a school with active research (TCOM, OSU, etc) or in a city with research (PCOM, CCOM, etc).

You can apply for summer research gigs for between year 1 / 2 but some schools (KCU I believe) limits this due to their curriculum.

You can always take a research year.

Its not impossible to do research during your course work if you can plan effectively. Will have 30+ pubs when I graduate without taking time off. Obviously not everyone has that opportunity, but there are probably 10-20 people at my school who will have 5+.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did some GPA math and discovered one rough semester when something bad happened in my personal life tanked my Grade Point Average more than I thought it did. My cGPA is 3.6-something and my sGPA is 3.50, so I am thinking I will definitely have to dual-apply DO. I have enough earned credits that I won't be able to change my GPA much with more credits.

Anywho, I have definitely heard that research makes people more competitive for more competitive residencies and (down the road) fellowships. I am not sure I'm a person who could handle doing research during the academic year which leaves the summer after M1 and the possibility of a research year between M2 and M3.

What do DO students do for finding a research position considering most DO schools don't have an academic medical center attached? They aren't SOL for taking research years, are they?
Well, considering that the odds > 50% that you'll end up in Primary Care, it won't be a burden to lack research.

Thank you all so much for your responses! :) I really appreciate the information.

Goro - It looks like I can get the sGPA up to 3.6 and cGPA to 3.7 if I go an extra year in school and take some more classes. Is it reasonable to expect to get into an MD school with a 3.6 sGPA especially because there is a significant upward trend involved? (Assuming within-range MCAT score and ECs)

I am not from a lucky state.

I don't know what I'll end up liking and want to have options if primary care ends up not being my thing, y'know?

Well, considering that the odds > 50% that you'll end up in Primary Care, it won't be a burden to lack research.

Last edited by a moderator:

A little bit off topic. If a DO student does not perform research during medical school, but has publications from former research positions (from undergraduate etc.) that were published during medical school years, does this count as "research during medical school" and potentially help for residency app?

A little bit off topic. If a DO student does not perform research during medical school, but has publications from former research positions (from undergraduate etc.) that were published during medical school years, does this count as "research during medical school" and potentially help for residency app?

My understanding is that it will be listed in a different category but will not be looked at all that much differently.

Please correct if wrong.

Thank you all so much for your responses! :) I really appreciate the information.

Goro - It looks like I can get the sGPA up to 3.6 and cGPA to 3.7 if I go an extra year in school and take some more classes. Is it reasonable to expect to get into an MD school with a 3.6 sGPA especially because there is a significant upward trend involved? (Assuming within-range MCAT score and ECs)

I don't know what I'll end up liking and want to have options if primary care ends up not being my thing, y'know?
Historically, DO grads have chosen primary care specialties. FM, Peds, IM, OB/GYN. If research is your desire, dont forget local universities have PhDs performing research and may be looking for help.

Reactions: 1 users

The median GPA for MD School is 3.7 so yes, you'll be in competitive range

Gestalt I get from our wise sdn residents and attendings is that research done before med school is not as helpful as research done in med school

Reactions: 1 users