Residency opportunities for DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, a D3 school known mostly for its School of Business. It may be a bit early for me to be thinking about this sort of thing, but I figured I'd ask while it was on my mind. Are DO's generally able to successfully secure residencies in traditionally Allopathic areas of specialization such as Radiology, Anesthesia, and Emergency Medicine? I am just curious, as I have not yet decided which of the two medical approaches best fits my own ideals. However, I am fairly certain that I would like to specialize in one of these three areas somewhere down the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

yep. When I was looking for a DO to talk with last semester I found many to be Anethesiologists. The DO who wrote my LOR was an emergency room physician. To my suprise there weren't that many primary care physicians as I expected to see. A few in Internal Medicine, a few in neonatology. the field is wide open.

Imbebo is correct: the field is open.

There are osteopathic and allopathic residencies in radiology, anesthesiology, & emergency medicine. That gives you lots of options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies! I'm just curious because although I'm fairly certain of where I'd like to specialize, I'm not so sure about which theory (osteo. vs. allo.) best reflects my own sentiments. Thanks again for the insight!

It all depends on how competitive the program is and how competitive the spot is at the time.
I finished DO school and one of my friends got accepted to a MD radiology spot. It took him two years to get it. Forget doing ortho at an MD program. It all comes down to your USMLE score and somewhat on grades. There is a balance with all the above and your interview. Just make sure you rotate at the places you would like to do residency so they get to know you