Residency Min GPA..Is this Real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nic24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
looks like Caspr is the "Centralized Application Service for Podiatric Residencies"

looks like Caspr is the "Centralized Application Service for Podiatric Residencies"

Thank you, I didn’t see that. I was trying to search for one for pharmacy residencies, with no luck. I have a certain GPA( not a sky’s the limit GPA), so I was hoping to narrow my choices

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I didn’t see that. I was trying to search for one for pharmacy residencies, with no luck. I have a certain GPA( not a sky’s the limit GPA), so I was hoping to narrow my choices

Your best bet is to check program descriptions and see if there are minimum requirements stated. A general estimate is

4.0 = Cool
>3.75 = You don't need to worry about your GPA holding you back
>3.5 = Competitive
>3.0 = Reasonable chance especially if strong in other areas
>2.75 = GPA will likely hold you back but not unheard of to still match, again need to be strong elsewhere

Your best bet is to check program descriptions and see if there are minimum requirements stated. A general estimate is

4.0 = Cool
>3.5 = Competitive
>2.75 = GPA will likely hold you back but not unheard of to still match, again need to be strong elsewhere
this is a pretty good reference - most places I know have a minimum of 3 or 3.2 to get an interview - but that is also bc our local pharmacy school's median GPA is 3.5

At least a 3.0 gpa and you’ll have a shot. Just need to make sure you have real leadership history (not just social chair or treasurer), volunteering outside of school requirements, work history and research.

If you have <3.0 it would be expected that you have a poor foundation of knowledge and a year of residency will be very difficult and frustrating for preceptors.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, it is hard to say. I think there is no "perfect recipe" for a candidate. For example, I know many honorary academic inductee's that applied and did not even receive an interview/very little interviews* and ultimately not match VS. students that did not even make deans list (>3.5) that did match (LIKE MYSELF!!).

I believe having a competitive GPA 'checks the box' but no way guarantees an interview nor residency. With that said, does not mean to slack off and bank on it -- I found it much more ?difficult or could have just been the entire pressure of the residency process in general; I cannot differentiate. But I think would have given me much more confidence, personally.

Most people applying for residency have great GPA (>3.0), so I believe RPD's are most definitely looking for much more than that such as leadership, work experience, completed APPE/IPPE, completed projects/presentations, research, awards/scholarships, community service, etc. Again, I do not know what is the perfect recipe for what would land someone a residency but I can confidently say a competitive GPA is only a piece of the pie.

Most people applying for residency have great GPA (>3.0), so I believe RPD's are most definitely looking for much more than that such as leadership, work experience, completed APPE/IPPE, completed projects/presentations, research, awards/scholarships, community service, etc. Again, I do not know what is the perfect recipe for what would land someone a residency but I can confidently say a competitive GPA is only a piece of the pie.

Not sure about your area- but I have a hard time saying a GPA of >3 is "great" - at the two local colleges 75-80% of students are >3.0. Of our 78 applicants, 2 had a GPA less than 3.

But agree - GPA isn't everything, just one aspect.

Not sure about your area- but I have a hard time saying a GPA of >3 is "great" - at the two local colleges 75-80% of students are >3.0. Of our 78 applicants, 2 had a GPA less than 3.

But agree - GPA isn't everything, just one aspect.

Do you mean residency application? You had applicants with a <3? Also, what did you mean by having a hard time saying >3 is “Great”? Is there a certain GPA that you consider great?

4.0 = Cool
>3.5 = Competitive

So, I have a 3.1, which I’m worried about. However, I have a ton of pharmacy work history in the hospital(before I started pharmacy school), and while in pharmacy school I participated in a research project, where I presented the data at a conference, and my name is published in 2 journals for that research. I only have one leadership position(not a social/treasurer), and I received a leadership award for it at a pharmacy conference. But still, my GPA is low, which is why I was looking for a program that I would have a good shot at, and not waste my time and money =(. Im not sure if that is enough of a strong history to make up for a low GPA. And the program descriptions don’t give any indication of the GPA they’re looking for, not on their hospital website, nor the ASHP site. Is there any guidance, this is for anyone reading this!, that you can give me as far as the type of programs to try?

So, I have a 3.1, which I’m worried about. However, I have a ton of pharmacy work history in the hospital(before I started pharmacy school), and while in pharmacy school I participated in a research project, where I presented the data at a conference, and my name is published in 2 journals for that research. I only have one leadership position(not a social/treasurer), and I received a leadership award for it at a pharmacy conference. But still, my GPA is low, which is why I was looking for a program that I would have a good shot at, and not waste my time and money =(. Im not sure if that is enough of a strong history to make up for a low GPA. And the program descriptions don’t give any indication of the GPA they’re looking for, not on their hospital website, nor the ASHP site. Is there any guidance, this is for anyone reading this!, that you can give me as far as the type of programs to try?

You have a good work background and you have research experience. The way you mention your leadership position is a bit worrying from the standpoint I’m not sure you have much to say about it (although I challenge you to). Your gpa is not impressive so you really need to highlight your other strengths.

There is a major aspect you neglected and that is your network. Who is ready to speak to your strengths through letters of recommendations? Who in your field of choice knows your name? Who have you contacted and spoken to?

My advice to you is to generally consider programs that are less renown (although don’t exclude programs highly competitive if you think you have an in). And really work to highlight your strengths (possibly research, leadership, work ethic). And find some really amazing faculty and mentors to give your standing a boost when you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you mean residency application? You had applicants with a <3? Also, what did you mean by having a hard time saying >3 is “Great”? Is there a certain GPA that you consider great?
yes - we had 2 applicants less than 3 - great is subjective - and will vary based on school, but I would say to 10% of your class would qualify as great - probably 3.8 or so and higher

that being said, I recently interviewed a 3.98 who appeared completely clueless

agree with lion - apply to less than "brand names" - programs with high number of applicants may through your app out simply due to the GPA (we require a minimum of 3.2 - but you won't find that anywhere in official language on our website because we want to reserve the ability to change that on the fly if we need to).

You might have to apply to small out of the way programs - never throw all your eggs into the basket of "big name" and remember "big name" doesn't always equal "great program"

You have a good work background and you have research experience. The way you mention your leadership position is a bit worrying from the standpoint I’m not sure you have much to say about it (although I challenge you to). Your gpa is not impressive so you really need to highlight your other strengths.

There is a major aspect you neglected and that is your network. Who is ready to speak to your strengths through letters of recommendations? Who in your field of choice knows your name? Who have you contacted and spoken to?

My advice to you is to generally consider programs that are less renown (although don’t exclude programs highly competitive if you think you have an in). And really work to highlight your strengths (possibly research, leadership, work ethic). And find some really amazing faculty and mentors to give your standing a boost when you apply.

You’re right, I didn’t mention much about my position. This might sound a little crazy but Im a little worried about someone from my class recognizing this. I know quite a few mentioned they come to sdn for getting info. This is only b/c I put my GPA on here, which I would never want anyone from my class to know that, so I didn’t want to put my position and the things I’ve done(Im prob just a little over-paranoid, lol). But thru the position, I organized a lot of community health events, which got me an award. Also, during my p2 year I got Narcan trainer certification, so I also go out and train the community on it(use, safety, etc). I actually hold classes. I have been thinking of my network, which Im hoping will be from my preceptors. I have 2 from last summer that can attest to my work ethic, and then Im getting ready to go on my last rotations in a month, so I hope to make connections for recommendations there before it’s time to apply to residency.

My professors are a bit iffy, only b/c I established a good relationship with them thru my coming to them for help on their lecture material. So they know how hard I try, but sometimes I still got Cs, which made my GPA that low. So I feel like they see me as a person who works hard, but sometimes still got a low grade..but I know they wouldn’t say no to a recommendation. My goal is to get them from my preceptors, and of course I already have my research preceptor. Is that a good plan, to look toward the rotation preceptors?

Last edited:
agree with lion - apply to less than "brand names" - programs with high number of applicants may through your app out simply due to the GPA (we require a minimum of 3.2 - but you won't find that anywhere in official language on our website because we want to reserve the ability to change that on the fly if we need to).

You might have to apply to small out of the way programs - never throw all your eggs into the basket of "big name" and remember "big name" doesn't always equal "great program"

Thanks for that advice! and I guess that’s why it’s not listed on the directory nor the actual hospital site, which is so unfortunate for people like me. Can you tell me how to find small out of the way programs? That has been my dilemma. I know what’s big/small in my state, but what do I look for in other places. How do I find out where a program stands in the “residency program hierarchy”? I tried doing a search, but no luck...would it be bed size maybe?

Thanks for that advice! and I guess that’s why it’s not listed on the directory nor the actual hospital site, which is so unfortunate for people like me. Can you tell me how to find small out of the way programs? That has been my dilemma. I know what’s big/small in my state, but what do I look for in other places. How do I find out where a program stands in the “residency program hierarchy”? I tried doing a search, but no luck...would it be bed size maybe?
bed size is a good indicator - we have two large academic institutions in my city - people often apply to both, but their programs and staffing are completely different -and you would get two very different experiences. You would only know that after you progressed to the interview stage. Honestly, if is a big hospital or in a big city, chances are they will have more applicants per position than a small hospital in a rural area, If it is in a state away from you and you haven't heard of it, chances are that it is lesser known (again less known in no ways means a lesser experience) and hence, you will have a more likelyhood of getting that interview (and once you have an interview, your GPA is less of an issue)

good luck