Last minute residency decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpazzyJessie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A pgy1 resident job at a large hospital network was just posted in my town. I don't see the program on the match website and I am getting the feeling that it might be unaccredited (which doesn't bother me), as they are accepting applicants outside of Phorcas.

I went to school in Nevada. Didn't work while in school and had originally planned to stay there so I never pursued an intern license back home in California. In the end, I decided to move back to Cali and arrived back here in June 2018. I applied for the CPJE in July and despite passing all the necessary exams, the long wait with the BoP prevented me from being fully licensed until last month. So, I've got no relevant intern or pharmacist work experience.

I've been applying for any full time positions I can find, retail or hospital, but I don't have a competitive resume and it's a difficult market.

Long story short, I just found out about the residency opening today and have decided to go for it. It's been a scramble to get LORs and difficult to draft my LOI.

I guess I just am not sure how to approach my LOI, as there is not a lot of information in the job posting about the program at this location (they have established, accredited residencies at some of their other hospitals), and I don't know how to frame my spontaneous decision to pursue this in a good light. I really do feel like this posting is a blessing. Last year I wanted to pursue residency, and began to, but ultimately decided it just wasn't the right time. The opportunity to apply has sort of fallen in my lap and I want to present myself as postively as possible.

If they accept applicants outside of Phorcas, does that mean they are not accredited? Are accredited programs required to select students through Phorcas?

Help me?!

Members don't see this ad.

If you see the job posted on their website or an aggregator, it’s likely that they’ve posted the position for their matched candidate to formally apply for HR reasons.

Expect to see lots of pharmacy resident positions on hospital websites the next few months while everyone gets on boarded.

It can’t hurt to reach out to their clinical coordinator or RPD to express interest in a position, but likely this is not an unmatched spot.

If you see the job posted on their website or an aggregator, it’s likely that they’ve posted the position for their matched candidate to formally apply for HR reasons.

Expect to see lots of pharmacy resident positions on hospital websites the next few months while everyone gets on boarded.

It can’t hurt to reach out to their clinical coordinator or RPD to express interest in a position, but likely this is not an unmatched spot.

Thank you. I'll look into it further.

Any updates?