Residency Invites for Phase II 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinklotus25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that didn't match in phase I and have applied for phase II, I wanted to start a new thread to see when invites start rolling out again. I know it's going to be a time crunch but it would be great to see when people are getting notified. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who are applying to Phase II of the match, are you asking references to do new evals for you to upload to the new programs you are applying to in Phase II? It does not look like the ones used in Phase I can be used (other program names are on them). It seems like too much to ask of the references. Thanks

For those who are applying to Phase II of the match, are you asking references to do new evals for you to upload to the new programs you are applying to in Phase II? It does not look like the ones used in Phase I can be used (other program names are on them). It seems like too much to ask of the references. Thanks
If you're applying to different programs it's definitely not a good idea to use LOR addressing other programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Any ideas on when to start expecting interview offers?

Any ideas on when to start expecting interview offers?

My guess would be any time next week. Since application for phase II opened yesterday, programs will still need to review any applications they receive, and since ranking order for phase II is due next Friday, most interviews will probably be over the phone, unless you're applying to programs locally close to you.

Good luck!

My guess would be any time next week. Since application for phase II opened yesterday, programs will still need to review any applications they receive, and since ranking order for phase II is due next Friday, most interviews will probably be over the phone, unless you're applying to programs locally close to you.

Good luck!
Thank you so much imclarkent

Some of the programs have had deadlines as early as today. I didn't find out until I checked the program's website.

Has anyone gotten any interview invites or done any interviews yet?

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am participating in the Phase 2 match. I send in my application the moment it opened last Wednesday at 10 MT and received an interview invite from one hospital last Thursday evening around 5:30 pm MT. They set up a phone/video interview for Monday morning.

I applied to 5 other places but haven't heard anything yet from anyone else.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am participating in the Phase 2 match. I send in my application the moment it opened last Wednesday at 10 MT and received an interview invite from one hospital last Thursday evening around 5:30 pm MT. They set up a phone/video interview for Monday morning.

I applied to 5 other places but haven't heard anything yet from anyone else.
Thanks for responding! Good luck on your interview! I have only heard back from one program and it was a rejection.

Congratulations to all who got the interviews.
Would there be clinical questions as well during the post match interviews?

Congratulations to all who got the interviews.
Would there be clinical questions as well during the post match interviews?

I was told my interview would be 30 minutes via video on the computer and just basic get-to-know-you questions. I don't think there is enough time for full clinical questions, although I wouldn't count it out. Maybe short scenarios?

I am not participating in phase 2 but I made another spreadsheet for those of you who are.

Edit to see if I can link the spreadsheet instead of embedding it. I think many problems with the phase 1 sheet were caused by it being embedded in SDN, causing all people who were on the SDN page to show as active in the sheet, sometimes overloading it, and leading to erroneous edits/mess-ups

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious what everyone's application strategy was this round? Or if it changed from phase 1?

Phase 1 I applied to 6 programs, mostly in-state or I had a connection to and got only 3 interviews. I ranked all 3 but obviously didn't match.

Phase 2 I am applying to 6 programs, all out of state with no real connections. I picked ones that had a focus in what I am interested in (acute care). Overall, it seems like there are some pretty good programs available in phase 2. I am curious what the applicant to available spot ratio will be for this round...higher? I can't imagine many of the programs listed have more than 1 resident spot left unmatched.

I have done the same, applied to programs that seemed interesting, no matter the location. I also applied to a program that I applied to previously but didn't get an interview at, hoping I get another chance.

Did anybody try to contact programs after submitting applications? Or is it not professional?

Did anybody try to contact programs after submitting applications? Or is it not professional?

I did just to explain why I didn't apply in match I but I didn't hear back yet...

I have done the same, applied to programs that seemed interesting, no matter the location. I also applied to a program that I applied to previously but didn't get an interview at, hoping I get another chance.

How did you apply to the same program? I tried but it wouldn't let me add programs again, just said I had already submitted (from Phase I)

How did you apply to the same program? I tried but it wouldn't let me add programs again, just said I had already submitted (from Phase I)
I just looked it up and added them again like the first time. It was free to apply to those btw.

I received an interview request this morning for phone or in person interview tomorrow. Short notice! Wish I could do in-person but I am out of state for this program.

Still have not heard from 4 programs.

I received an interview request this morning for phone or in person interview tomorrow. Short notice! Wish I could do in-person but I am out of state for this program.

Still have not heard from 4 programs.
Was it from a program that already closed? I applied to 2 but one closed yesterday and the other one has a deadline of 3/31 so I'm wondering if they will wait to contact..

Do most programs call or email?

Good luck!!!

Was it from a program that already closed? I applied to 2 but one closed yesterday and the other one has a deadline of 3/31 so I'm wondering if they will wait to contact..

Do most programs call or email?

Good luck!!!

Yes both of my interview requests have been from programs with deadline of 3/25. Both emailed to set up the interviews.

Yes both of my interview requests have been from programs with deadline of 3/25. Both emailed to set up the interviews.
I got a phone interview for the one that closed yesterday. My other one doesn't close until the 31st...hope they don't wait that long!!!

Just receive a phone call inviting me to interview for a program which has an app deadline of 3/31. The current resident called me which is unique.

That's 3/6 programs I've heard from now - things are picking up! I hope everyone else is having good luck.

Anyone know if the application deadline is 3/31 for most programs but ranking is due 4/1...how will programs have time to reach out to candidates if application is submitted on 3/31?

Anyone know if the application deadline is 3/31 for most programs but ranking is due 4/1...how will programs have time to reach out to candidates if application is submitted on 3/31?

I have an interview Friday at 9am..that just seems so close...should be interesting...

Do programs always respond even if it's a rejection?!

I haven't heard from 3/6 programs yet and I noticed that all 3 are listed as having sent out invites on that excel spreadsheet. o_O Maybe some don't have time for rejections?
I hope you'll hear good news soon

For those getting rejections, are they coming as part of your follow up with the program or independently? because there are many programs I applied to and haven't heard back at all!!

For those getting rejections, are they coming as part of your follow up with the program or independently? because there are many programs I applied to and haven't heard back at all!!

The programs emailed me

I also got email, but most haven't responded yet.

Has anyone called the program? I sent an email last week and didn't hear back so my sister (who is also a residency director) keeps telling me to call and follow up. I figure at this point, it can't get worse but wondering what everyone else is doing... I can fly out for an interview but would need to know by today to book a flight tomorrow!!?!?

Has anyone called the program? I sent an email last week and didn't hear back so my sister (who is also a residency director) keeps telling me to call and follow up. I figure at this point, it can't get worse but wondering what everyone else is doing... I can fly out for an interview but would need to know by today to book a flight tomorrow!!?!?
I hear you! same problem here. I had a phone interview and was supposed to hear back regarding a further onsite interview since yesterday but I still don't have a rejection or an appointment and I need to fly there as well!

Wow! I had no idea some programs were still asking applicants to travel for onsite interviews. That seems exceedingly stressful! My good thoughts to both of you that you hear something soon!

I received 2 rejections emails last night. So just waiting to hear from one last program.

Reactions: 1 users
So I sent out emails yesterday and some emailed me back saying they were pursuing other options.

I'm afraid it's too late to wish for further interview offers!! :(

I'm afraid it's too late to wish for further interview offers!! :(
I'm thinking that too but I don't understand how some programs have a deadline of tomorrow still. I just sent another email follow up. Figure it can't hurt anything at this point!

I'm thinking that too but I don't understand how some programs have a deadline of tomorrow still. I just sent another email follow up. Figure it can't hurt anything at this point!
You're right this is my plan for today too. Good luck to all of us!!

You're right this is my plan for today too. Good luck to all of us!![/QUOTE

I got a "your application is still being considered" response back...at least it's something!

So I sent out emails yesterday and some emailed me back saying they were pursuing other options.

Sorry, been lurking here. But what does this even mean? They are going to bypass phase II and wait for the scramble?

Sorry, been lurking here. But what does this even mean? They are going to bypass phase II and wait for the scramble?

That does seem like odd wording. One of my programs said they were overwhelmed with deadline and number of applicants. Their deadline is tomorrow which boggles my mind that they could turn around and rank the next day. I wonder if there will even be a scramble after all this...

I find this whole process so stressful, sigh.

Sounds like they are going to be interviewing other people, your application didn't make the cut.

That does seem like odd wording. One of my programs said they were overwhelmed with deadline and number of applicants. Their deadline is tomorrow which boggles my mind that they could turn around and rank the next day. I wonder if there will even be a scramble after all this...

Deadline as in last day to apply? If it is, then it doesn't mean that they will go ahead and rank the next day, just means that they will no longer be taking applications...