Only doing phase II for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flowerquinolone

Reaction score
This is my first time posting. Been a long time lurker. I am a P3 that had to take a year off school due to medical reasons and now I will be graduating the same time as my husband who is in medical school. I am interested in applying to a residency (more amb-care focused) but his residency match is at the same time as ASHP match so I will not be able to predict which city he will end up in/apply to programs near him. If I only participated in phase II, I would have a shot at being reasonably close to him. I don't want to live apart for a year and I was wondering if anyone had any experience ONLY participating in phase II for residency? I feel like it would be a long shot that one would be open near the geographical region he ends up and then to actually match to it. :/

I feel like this is a no win situation (live apart or not match) and I wish there was a couple's match like there is for med students.

tldr: anyone have any luck with only doing phase II for residency??

Members don't see this ad.

I only did phase II and I matched. Just realize that your options are way more limited in phase II and what’s left may not be in the same city as your husband.