Residency in the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hi_hello

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone, I was wondering is it possible to apply for residency in the states after completing residency in Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You could apply to a different field if you want. I guess you could apply to the same field, but that seems pointless since you could work in the US with canadian training, assuming you can get a visa if needed. You can also apply to US fellowships with Canadian training.

You would still likely need the USMLE's (although theoretically you might be able to get a full license with your canadian training and exams, unclear whether programs would be happy with this)

So If I want to apply to a different specialty, can I apply in the first iteration through NRMP? I am just wondering because in Canada, after completing post graduate training, I simply cannot apply to a different specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
So If I want to apply to a different specialty, can I apply in the first iteration through NRMP? I am just wondering because in Canada, after completing post graduate training, I simply cannot apply to a different specialty.

We don't have different rounds for the match like in Canada. You have the main match and then SOAP for all unfilled positions at the end. All candidates are eligible for the main match and SOAP.

Oh wow! Thats great to hear!
And which steps will be required? (if applying as a post-graduate resident/staff in Canada)

If you have completed residency you will likely need USMLE step 1 -- this is a big consideration for which residency you'd like to apply to.

I was told you need step 2 CS and CK. How they are considered beyond their completion is unknown to me.

HI everyone, I was wondering is it possible to apply for residency in the states after completing residency in Canada?
You need the USMLE steps 1 to 3 and also please be board certified. I assume you mean for fellowship in the states ?