Residency in Israel by US Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamshid007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does any body know about possibility and where to look for Residency in Israel by US Graduates? (specifically in pmr)

Members don't see this ad.

does any body know about possibility and where to look for Residency in Israel by US Graduates? (specifically in pmr)

great question. i'd love to know if that would be a possibility. i go to med school in australia currently. if anyone has info on doing residency/practicing in israel..

It's better if you complete a residency in the US (or Australia, if you are from there) before making aliyah to Israel.

In order to practice medicine in Israel, you would have to complete a 'stage' (French pronunciation) which is basically a one year rotating internship. You then have to write (and pass) the Israeli boards in Hebrew before starting a residency.

If you come board-certified from the US, you don't have to write the Israeli boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the opposite. if ur Israeli boarded, can u work in the US? Thanks.

What about the opposite. if ur Israeli boarded, can u work in the US? Thanks.

No. You have to pass all three steps of the USLME and complete an American residency.

you could do a fellowship in the US after residency in Israel. You still have to do all the USMLE steps for that, but I think you could then work in the states..(bypassing the residency requirement)

Last edited by a moderator:
you could do a fellowship in the US after residency in Israel. You still have to do all the USMLE steps for that, but I think you could then work in the states..(bypassing the residency requirement)

Not technically. What happens is that top academic institutions like MD Anderson (for example) may be able to retain top international talent at their hospital by loopholes in the medical code. But if that doctor were to leave the hospital, to say attempt to enter the private practice market, they would be unable to obtain their own license, NPI, medical insurance, et cetera as they had never completed an American residency, which is a stringent requirement. More often, these talented physicians will then return to Israel (or whatever their home country is) and become chairmen (professors) of departments in their respective fields.

Hi, i am student at medical school in 4th year in Romania...I'd like to know what papers i need to become a doctor in Israel....what steps do I have to take????what;s the residency exam about?in what language?Hebrew?

Hi, i am student at medical school in 4th year in Romania...I'd like to know what papers i need to become a doctor in Israel....what steps do I have to take????what;s the residency exam about?in what language?Hebrew?

Do you have an Israeli passport? Are you Jewish? Do you speak Hebrew?

Do you have an Israeli passport? Are you Jewish? Do you speak Hebrew?
no i don't have an Israeli passport and i am not Jewish...Hebrew??i learn it now....it's not that difficult.....i am just a foreigner student at medicine....

Last edited:
no i don't have an Israeli passport and i am not Jewish...Hebrew??i learn it now....it's not that difficult.....i am just a foreigner student at medicine....

Since you are not Jewish, you are not eligible to make Aliyah. You should inquire with the Israeli embassy in your country as to how you can move to Israel. It can be done, but you will have to apply for visas, etc.

Since you are not Jewish, you are not eligible to make Aliyah. You should inquire with the Israeli embassy in your country as to how you can move to Israel. It can be done, but you will have to apply for visas, etc.

I don't think you understood what i was asking.I want to go to learn medicine in Israel.....after i finish 6 years of med school here in Romania....

I don't think you understood what i was asking.I want to go to learn medicine in Israel.....after i finish 6 years of med school here in Romania....

You're right, I'm not sure what your goal is. Are you planning on staying in Israel after you complete a residency?

After finishing 6 years in Romania, you would have to complete an internship (called a "stage" - French pronunciation). You would also have to pass the Israeli medical boards in Hebrew. Then you would complete an Israeli residency.

You're right, I'm not sure what your goal is. Are you planning on staying in Israel after you complete a residency?

After finishing 6 years in Romania, you would have to complete an internship (called a "stage" - French pronunciation). You would also have to pass the Israeli medical boards in Hebrew. Then you would complete an Israeli residency.

thank you for the information...Do you know what papers/documents i need for that?where i should apply for that?or how much does it cost?thank you again.

hi!
do you know how to do the recidency in Israel for italian people? someone told me that it is possible for me if i pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination....do you have any information? or a website where i can check it?
thanks!