Residency for non-EU, non-US/Canadian citizens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolCyber

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got accepted into the RCSI and I know it has done very well in the past. :D (the impressive list of US residents for example) However, as I am neither a citizen of the EU nor the US/Canada, I was wondering what is the possibility of obtaining a rotation/traineeship in the US or in Europe ? I am particularly interested in the US. Can someone help ? Thanks heaps.

CoolCyber :)

Members don't see this ad.

CoolCyber said:
Hi all,

I got accepted into the RCSI and I know it has done very well in the past. :D (the impressive list of US residents for example) However, as I am neither a citizen of the EU nor the US/Canada, I was wondering what is the possibility of obtaining a rotation/traineeship in the US or in Europe ? I am particularly interested in the US. Can someone help ? Thanks heaps.

CoolCyber :)

Many non-US citizens obtain residencies in the U.S.

Last year, just over 52.4% of those actively participating in the match as non-U.S. foreign graduates gained a position (2,970 individuals). Also, it is thought that others also gained positions by signing contracts outside the matching process (see www.nrmp.org for info on the match ). See also www.ecfmg.org for the process that certifies foreign medical graduates (whether U.S. citizens or not).

However, foreign grads have significant disadvantages when it comes to post-graduate training. Generally speaking, they are less competitive than U.S. grads and end up with positions that the U.S. grads shun. This means that for highly competitive fields and or positions they are virtually excluded, unless they have stellar qualifications. For a measure of how competitive each field is, see my post at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165265

Further, non-U.S. foreign grads often encounter difficulties with visas. Search this and the general international forum for visa issues.

Re: Europe. In some ways, Europe is even more restrictive than the U.S. While the U.S. will issue restricted (so called J-1) visas, gaining a work permit in Europe is often mission impossible. Worse, many countries including the UK require non-EU citizens to complete additional examinations (e.g. in the UK, the PLAB) that they do not require of their own citizens.

Miklos

Well said.

-eric