Residency Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How concerning is it to residency programs if clerkship grades are all passes (school is 25H/50HP/25P and haven't gotten my obgyn grade back yet)?

My comments are good to average but I always end up missing HP by 1-2 points. Otherwise, slightly above avg step score and no publications with pre-med school research experience. Good number of volunteer activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just at the end of my third year so I can't comment on the "real life" judgements PDs actually make about an application, but I would say by no means are you screwed, your above average step 1 with a decent step 2 should at least net you some interviews, even if your clerkships are only pass. I know some fourth years that got interviews last year with multiple passes on rotations.

You'll be able to match somewhere if you apply broadly. Won't be at a place like Hopkins or anything but should be fine.

I matched with worse scores than you, although I went pretty far down my rank list.

Try to do well on Step 2. Do well on your Sub I and get a good LOR. Have your chair/PD make some calls if you want to go somewhere other than your home program.

OBGYN has gotten very competitive. You may get interviews but probably at lower tier programs. You would be better suited for community programs. Step scores don't mean that much if your clerkship grades are not good. I have had students with great step scores and average transcripts. The program needs to see your entire application.

Does the opposite apply here? what about a below average step but honors on most clerkships? Will I be blackballed from OB/GYN due to the step score? Or would I have a shot with being in the top 10% and honors on most clerkships?

Sub-I rotations have been pretty competitive to schedule at my school, so I have been having trouble getting into a spot in the fall. If my application is decent overall otherwise, is an OBGYN SUB-I absolutely necessary? Would another elective like MFM be an acceptable substitute?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile