Research in Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am an MS2 and I am planning to take a year off next year for research in pediatrics (clinical research preferably). I am especially interested in pediatric cardiology, neonatology, and hematology/oncology (in that order) and I have been having great trouble in contacting possible mentors. During the summer and recently, I e-mailed a bunch, but either got no replies or was told that the doctor did not have enough time to mentor. I am especially interested in research in Boston (but I am open to research elsewhere if it is really interesting), because I really like the city and would like to live there for a year before I make a decision to apply to all the peds programs there for residency. I would really appreciate any information on how to contact possible mentors or if anyone knows a doctor doing research at one of the pediatrics hospitals in Boston. I am looking into applying to Doris Duke and the Howard Hughes and perhaps Sarnoff. Thanks everyone in advance and enjoy your weekend! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings - If you go to to the Society for Pediatric Research website (it is in the useful links in this forum or you can find it easily with a search) and look at the summer research program, there is a directory of laboratories you should be able to access. It is designed for summer students, but might serve your purposes as well. Alternately, send an email to

[email protected]

and describe your interests and they should forward your request to Dr. Charles (Skip) Smith at Ohio State who directs the student research program. They should be able to help you with contacts.

Regards

OBP

DrJ2B said:
Hey all!

I am an MS2 and I am planning to take a year off next year for research in pediatrics (clinical research preferably). I am especially interested in pediatric cardiology, neonatology, and hematology/oncology (in that order) and I have been having great trouble in contacting possible mentors. During the summer and recently, I e-mailed a bunch, but either got no replies or was told that the doctor did not have enough time to mentor. I am especially interested in research in Boston (but I am open to research elsewhere if it is really interesting), because I really like the city and would like to live there for a year before I make a decision to apply to all the peds programs there for residency. I would really appreciate any information on how to contact possible mentors or if anyone knows a doctor doing research at one of the pediatrics hospitals in Boston. I am looking into applying to Doris Duke and the Howard Hughes and perhaps Sarnoff. Thanks everyone in advance and enjoy your weekend! :)

What about using someone from your school as a contact?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I tried to do as you said ODB and sent the e-mail to [email protected] but I have gotten no reply and it has been over a month or more. I also tried to go through people at my school but that has not panned out yet. Is there anything else I can do? I have tried so many things this past summer and now and am honestly getting discouraged. I have so many other things to do at school and I cannot devote all my time to this. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

-DrJ2B

DrJ2B said:
Hey all!

I tried to do as you said ODB and sent the e-mail to [email protected] but I have gotten no reply and it has been over a month or more. I also tried to go through people at my school but that has not panned out yet. Is there anything else I can do? I have tried so many things this past summer and now and am honestly getting discouraged. I have so many other things to do at school and I cannot devote all my time to this. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

-DrJ2B

I can try to send you some specific contact people by PM (remind me) but on a more general basis, I think the problem is that many folks doing clinical pedi research haven't really thought much about what they would do with a med student for a year. So schools that have a research year built into their program (Duke and Baylor that I know about, maybe there are others) might be better as people are thinking about this issue.

http://www.ccri.net/ccri/investigators/smithc.html

I also suggest you try calling Dr. Smith at Ohio State directly. Tell him I sent you....I suggest calling since not everyone conducts all their business by email like us oldbears....

Regards

OBP