Boston vs. CHOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zestfest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm couples matching and my partner wants to list Boston programs first. I loved my Boston interview day but am pretty nervous about q4 28h call for seemingly all of 2nd and 3rd year. The CHOP residents just seemed better supported and less burned out. I also feel like Philly is more my speed and cost of living is more manageable than in Boston. My partner is applying OBGYN and feels Penn would be a step down in quality for him.

I know either residency program would be amazing and that this question comes up year after year. I guess I'm just looking for more thoughts about whether Boston is malignant and if it is manageable to handle that call schedule while doing anything else in life (I'd like to have a kid in the next few years). Also any thoughts on the city of Boston vs. the city of Philly and any advice for reconciling rank lists.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. Interestingly, on my interview day I got the impression that Boston residents were a happier bunch. I'm not sure why, it could just have had to do with their happy hour being Friday night and CHOP's being a Monday night. I asked the question specifically about the q4 call for 2 years and they all seemed to shrug. I guess when that's what you do, that's what you do. Everyone around you is doing it as well, and so I suppose there's built-in support in that sense.

May I ask what it was about CHOP residents that seemed less burned out/better supported to you? Is it their "easier" call schedule? I'm just curious if I missed something.

Finally, I think you can't go wrong with either one, obviously. Congrats on having the opportunity to make such a can't-lose choice. If it really makes that much of a difference to your partner (I know nothing about OB/Gyn programs), and you are a little bit undecided, I say rank Boston > CHOP! Other Boston peds programs (MGH, Tufts, etc) I would have a much harder time ranking over CHOP, though. But maybe others have other ideas.

Hey all, not to derail the thread, but did you come across, or hear of, any osteopathic physicians interviewing at CHOP and/or BCRP? Just wanted to know if that is within the realm of possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, not to derail the thread, but did you come across, or hear of, any osteopathic physicians interviewing at CHOP and/or BCRP? Just wanted to know if that is within the realm of possibility.
I pm'ed you! I'm a DO student who was offered interviews at both this year and did not do a sub-I/away at either program. Happy to chat if you have questions.

I pm'ed you! I'm a DO student who was offered interviews at both this year and did not do a sub-I/away at either program. Happy to chat if you have questions.
Woah, that’s amazing. As a fellow DO going into peds, it’s great to hear that you got interviewed at those places. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your steps?

Reactions: 1 user
Woah, that’s amazing. As a fellow DO going into peds, it’s great to hear that you got interviewed at those places. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your steps?
Thanks! :) I ended up doing pretty well on my steps (258/275), but Boston said that’s not the only thing they look at and they’re mostly interested in people with interesting backgrounds and/or leadership potential. I think a lot of osteopathic students don’t apply for fear of rejection but I encourage people to at least try!!