Boston vs LA competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

def1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in which area is more competitive for pediatrics. My SO is applying peds next year and I am trying to figure out the best location that works for both us as I am applying for residency this year. My SO has pretty good stats 232 step 1, a few publications in process, hopefully will be AOA next year. But I'm worried that being from a small Texas school is going to make it difficult especially trying to go to the northeast boston area.

Does anyone have insight on which area would be relatively less competitive to get into? I would find this really helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in which area is more competitive for pediatrics. My SO is applying peds next year and I am trying to figure out the best location that works for both us as I am applying for residency this year. My SO has pretty good stats 232 step 1, a few publications in process, hopefully will be AOA next year. But I'm worried that being from a small Texas school is going to make it difficult especially trying to go to the northeast boston area.

Does anyone have insight on which area would be relatively less competitive to get into? I would find this really helpful.

Thanks.

Both areas have quite a number of pediatric residencies due to the fact that both areas are population dense. There's Tufts, MGH, and BCH in the Boston area (and a little further out Brown and UMass) and CHLA, UCLA (2 programs if I recall), UCI, and USC in the LA area (or Loma Linda and UCSD for a bit further of a drive, but a reasonable one).

Thanks.

I hope this doesn't come off too strongly, but you may want to consider avoiding Boston all together. The way they have set up pediatric medical education in Boston is bonkers. Find places that will go above and beyond to make sure two individuals in a couple are appropriately matched. Consider looking at UPMC which tends to go well out of their way to bring couples together (and it's a top peds residents). Stand alone children's hospitals who have strong collaborative bonds to their academic medical centers and medical schools would be a good place to start. Think: Cincinnati, UPMC, PENN,/CHOP, Seattle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this doesn't come off too strongly, but you may want to consider avoiding Boston all together. The way they have set up pediatric medical education in Boston is bonkers. Find places that will go above and beyond to make sure two individuals in a couple are appropriately matched. Consider looking at UPMC which tends to go well out of their way to bring couples together (and it's a top peds residents). Stand alone children's hospitals who have strong collaborative bonds to their academic medical centers and medical schools would be a good place to start. Think: Cincinnati, UPMC, PENN,/CHOP, Seattle.

That did come off a little strong. What about how pediatric education in Boston is? Any examples?

Thanks.
Why do you feel compelled to live in Boston or LA? Economically, both of these places are terrible places for physicians to live. The pay is relatively low but the cost of living and the taxes are astronomical. Furthermore, Massachusetts is a medical malpractice hell hole for physicians. You are much better off staying in Texas. There are wonderful pediatric residency programs in Texas such as Texas Children's. This coastie compulsion, that so many millenials have is just crazy.

Why do you feel compelled to live in Boston or LA? Economically, both of these places are terrible places for physicians to live. The pay is relatively low but the cost of living and the taxes are astronomical. Furthermore, Massachusetts is a medical malpractice hell hole for physicians. You are much better off staying in Texas. There are wonderful pediatric residency programs in Texas such as Texas Children's. This coastie compulsion, that so many millenials have is just crazy.
The medical malpractice hellhole shouldn't apply to residents and fellows though, right?

The medical malpractice hellhole shouldn't apply to residents and fellows though, right?
Wrong. It all depends on the statutes, case law and the factual circumstances. Residents can't commit malpractice with legal impunity.

Wrong. It all depends on the statutes, case law and the factual circumstances. Residents can't commit malpractice with legal impunity.

I mean, yeah, this at a base level is true. But medical trainees - especially residents - in many states are rarely practicing under their own licenses and the rules of supervision that are in place mean that attending physicians have the ultimate responsibility for the care of patients. While there are undoubtedly cases in which residents or fellows get named to a lawsuit, (I was named once, got dropped immediately), no personal injury lawyer worth their salt goes after trainees. There's simply no meat there. Med mal insurance is covered by the institution, and most academic medical centers have the best medmal defense attorneys on retainer. The medical legal environment should be a low level concern for medical students.

OP, in general, I think the overall level of competition is higher in Boston than LA. The large number of programs big and small in LA gives a lot more options.

Reactions: 1 users