Research at BGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirmaid959

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know how the research opportunities are at BGU?

Members don't see this ad.

Research is absolutely no problem at this school. Many of the Profs are published in huge international journals. There is also a ton of lab work to be done since university is across the street from the hospital. I am currently involved in Peds Hem/Onc research and case reports. Others are doing research in Derm, Anesthesia, Path, and Diabetes. The research in obgyn is especially good. Due to the enormous volume of deliveries, the department here has published hundreds, maybe even thousands of papers. They are know all over the world. PM me if you have anymore questions.

As anyone who wants to do anything not GP knows, research is a key pillar in the foundation that is matching....that being said, I would like to provide you 2 experiences in research I have had, one in the US and one here

I worked in a basic science lab in neurology in a major us city that rhymes with goston, busted my *** for 6-7 months spending nights in dark rooms developing slides, and processing tissue from a microtome in a - something really cold degrees freezer, I worked so hard, i think i developed some kind of psych disorder, what were the fruits of my labor, a huge paper, and publication, and my name no where to be found

so i said f that, i am never doing research again

then i came out here to israel, did morning rounds in one of 13 departments to see what kind of doc i wanted to be, and i ended up picking one that suits me perfectly

i started to get to know the residents attendings and doctors, soon after i had my name as first author on a case report, and then i conducted a research project which is going to get me a first author pub in the most popular peer reviewed journal in my field of interest detailing the findings of an entirely new classification for a certain condition, im also working on a grant, and a full literature review in the same field, and am guaranteed authorship, all this after 2 years

the opportunities for research in this country are unparalleled besides the US, there is so much medical research but not enough students to help conduct and publish it, doctors here seek out students to help them, not only are doctors published but they are published in the most prestigious journals NEJM, JAMA, Lancet, Archives of "fill in the blank", and anything else out there thats as good.

If there is one thing I can say that makes my decision to come here totally justified, it is the degree of involvement our clinical professors push on us, if they wanted too, every single student in my class could be published

izzy

Members don't see this ad :)
As anyone who wants to do anything not GP knows, research is a key pillar in the foundation that is matching....that being said, I would like to provide you 2 experiences in research I have had, one in the US and one here

I worked in a basic science lab in neurology in a major us city that rhymes with goston, busted my *** for 6-7 months spending nights in dark rooms developing slides, and processing tissue from a microtome in a - something really cold degrees freezer, I worked so hard, i think i developed some kind of psych disorder, what were the fruits of my labor, a huge paper, and publication, and my name no where to be found

so i said f that, i am never doing research again

then i came out here to israel, did morning rounds in one of 13 departments to see what kind of doc i wanted to be, and i ended up picking one that suits me perfectly

i started to get to know the residents attendings and doctors, soon after i had my name as first author on a case report, and then i conducted a research project which is going to get me a first author pub in the most popular peer reviewed journal in my field of interest detailing the findings of an entirely new classification for a certain condition, im also working on a grant, and a full literature review in the same field, and am guaranteed authorship, all this after 2 years

the opportunities for research in this country are unparalleled besides the US, there is so much medical research but not enough students to help conduct and publish it, doctors here seek out students to help them, not only are doctors published but they are published in the most prestigious journals NEJM, JAMA, Lancet, Archives of "fill in the blank", and anything else out there thats as good.

If there is one thing I can say that makes my decision to come here totally justified, it is the degree of involvement our clinical professors push on us, if they wanted too, every single student in my class could be published

izzy

Thanks Jones and Izzy. Izzy, Did you start going on morning rounds your first year?

yeah i did, I had a lot of free time first year, I had gotten a masters in neuroscience, so I was able to honor out of 5-6 first year course, I tried getting involved with the neuro ward, but i realized i didnt like the field anymore, so I started getting really into research all the other fields, doing all the online "what kind of doctor should i be tests" and bought all the guides to choosing a medical specialty books,

and i zoned in on about 5-6 that really matched me and what i want to do and my personality, and then i spent the rest of my time going on morning rounds, doing presentations, assisting with case reports and prelim research
and then i found the one field for me and started getting really involved

language was kind of a barrier for me clinically but not so much now that I can understand most of the clinical stuff, this paper im working on now will carry a lot of impact for a differential diagnosis for a chronic condition when it gets published, I got to do a lot of the clinical information gathering and most of the diagnostic testing, so i not only get a first author pub in a leading peer review journal in the field, but i really know the subject well now, which is the most important thing

anymore questions feel free to ask