Step 1 preperation at BGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsbqb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a concern about the school. I was wondering how the school's Step 1 preparation is. Are the classes geared towards preparing you for the test? Or is studying for Step 1 very different from studying for classes?

Does the school provide support for test prep?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

The classes in the first two years are not geared towards the Step 1, you are taught what you need to know to become a good clinician, and like in all schools, there are holes with regards to the Step 1.

To rectify this, our program offers the all the basic science shelf exams the 2nd semester of the 2nd year to prepare students for the USMLE step 1, these are optional, but most students tend to do 2-3 (Micro, Biochem, Physio)!.

The classes are all powerpoint based, some students never went to a single one and did awesome on the Step 1, others missed every single class, didnt do well on the class tests, and didnt do well on the Step 1, I can't know if there is a correlation between time spent in lecture versus performance on step 1, but I can tell you for sure, the students that did best on Step 1 were the students that put the time and effort into step 1.

It is really a personal decision that you have to make with yourself regarding the field you wish to apply for come residency!

It is to my understanding that most schools have a curriculum to teach basic science and not the step 1!

Hope that helps

Izzy