Requesting some advice for a fellow 1st year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince_Ali

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my future doctors!

So I was looking for some advice from current students on how to best utilize the several months before the start of school. Any advice on how to prepare for the courses or what to study ahead of time? Perhaps start looking at Dr. Najeeb videos? I have been just currently working, working out, netflixing, and reading here and there. I know the courseload will be VERY intense and rigorous so I want to best prepare for it as much possible as I want to increase my chances of doing well in the classes and hopefully landing a top residency (as we all do!). If it helps, I will be attending Kent State so any current Kent State students who have some advice please feel free to share! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, keep doing what you're doing. What you are doing now is exactly what all currently accepted students should be doing (unless you need to graduate). Enjoy your time off. I didn't take time off between undergrad and pod school, so I only had a summer of relaxation. I wish I got more time, but oh well. You'll have plenty of time to focus on studying when school starts.

I told this to someone before, but if you really are itching to learn something study some extremely generic anatomy terms. Like large, obvious muscles and bones. Anatomy terms such as medial, lateral, ventral, superficial, etc. That's all I would do.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, the material you will learn is so in depth and specific that if you tried preparing in depth without guidance you may end up just wasting a lot of free time that you'll never get back. If you know which courses you'll be taking first semester and you really want to prepare in some way then do so generally, as Sweatshirt suggested. Anatomy does seem to give people who've never taken an anatomy course before a tough time so that may not be a bad idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think preparing for any Professional school is similar to preparing for parenting or marriage. You can read every book, blog, lecture, study, whatever- but you'll never be fully prepared. You can certainly help yourself, but as bobtheweazel noted, you may get some benefit, but most of that time will be wasted since you don't have that guidance yet.

My advice? See all your friends and family as often as possible. Once you start school you'll have to make sacrifices in order to succeed. The time to study has to come from somewhere, and usually it is the people closest to us that we take it from. Use it while ya got it. GOod luck!

I'll echo what everyone else has already said--enjoy your time off. You'll have plenty of time to study when classes start.

Preparation can take different forms. As others have said, spending the year studying might not give you much of a leg up-the material is very specific and organized (although I can't speak for Kent specifically).

If I were you I would prepare in other ways: working on building relationships with doctors and pods, build social skills, shadow, get valuable work experience, have fun, prepare physically, etc...

Success in pod school has little to do with carrying knowledge over from undergrad (in my opinion) and more to do with time management, good habits, building good relationships, and a lot of other factors.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users