Any Questions for 1st Year Student at KSUCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSUPOD2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future student doctors!
I am a first year student at Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine and am approaching the end of my first semester! I would like to extend this opportunity to anyone who has questions about the field of podiatry in general, and/or KSUCPM to feel free to ask me anything. I will add some pertinent information below.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a first year student at Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine and am approaching the end of my first semester! I would like to extend this opportunity to anyone who has questions about the field of podiatry in general, and/or KSUCPM to feel free to ask me anything. I will add some pertinent information below.
Why anatomy averages are so low compared to some other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why anatomy averages are so low compared to some other schools?
Could you please provide a source from where you received the anatomy averages? I am honestly not to familiar about other schools anatomy averages at this current time. Perhaps I could evaluate those and then gather some information to help answer your question better. Thanks!

Could you please provide a source from where you received the anatomy averages? I am honestly not to familiar about other schools anatomy averages at this current time. Perhaps I could evaluate those and then gather some information to help answer your question better. Thanks!
never mind about it. sorry. I guess I mixed something. I saw low board scores and low graduation rates for Kent, not anatomy scores.

Why do you think it is? Is it due to academics or other reasons?

never mind about it. sorry. I guess I mixed something. I saw low board scores and low graduation rates for Kent, not anatomy scores.

Probably just the amount of students they accept. To fill the class they need to take more risks with more students. 125 is a lot compared to day DMU or AZPOD where they are going to be much more selective

Probably just the amount of students they accept. To fill the class they need to take more risks with more students. 125 is a lot compared to day DMU or AZPOD where they are going to be much more selective
Kent class is 125? oh, That's big. I thought Scholls is largest class

Board scores posted are based on a 3 year average of scores. Thus, one of a somewhat "down year" could affect this statistic. Most recently, the Class of 2019 scored a 92% class average on Boards Part 1. The national average was an 88%.

In addition, the attrition rate is based on a variety of factors. Certainly some are academic in nature, but others can be because a student graduates as part of a later class year due to a medical leave or leave of absence. Other students just realize that podiatry is not for them. I would HIGHLY recommend to shadow multiple podiatrists (both private practice and in hospitals) to assure yourself of your future career path. I honestly couldn't see myself doing anything else and have a great passion for the field. Great question!

Reactions: 3 users
As a 2nd year KSUCPM student, the school adequately prepares you for boards. Generally speaking, so long as you put effort in, you should be fine. As for the board scores, I'd agree that it largely has to do with the large class sizes and what that entails in terms of the candidates that matriculate. By this year, a majority of my class are solid - most of the people who weren't cut out for this have been weeded out. That said, there are always going to be a few scraping by - they're usually the ones who struggle to pass boards.

Additionally, KSUCPM's board pass rates are generally in line with the rest of the schools. Some years are worse and some years are better. Last year's class actually exceeded the average with a 92% pass rate. Considering our very large class sizes, that's pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
When are you first introduced to clinical experiences?
DMU, for example, has no clinical exposure until 3rd year, while Scholl provides exposure in the first year.

When are you first introduced to clinical experiences?
DMU, for example, has no clinical exposure until 3rd year, while Scholl provides exposure in the first year.
The great thing about KSUCPM is that our clinic on site allows you to shadow anytime you want. You would just need to set up a time with one of the full-time clinic workers. Students themselves can even set up an appointment to receive treatment.

Clinical exposure is built into the curriculum starting in the 2nd year in order to give students the 1st year to build a foundation to assess some of the patients' conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im going off of the AACPMAS catalogue. It differs from year to year but point being its top 3 largest

True. Coming from AACPMAS, these are the maximum class sizes for each school as of last year:

AZPod: 30
BUSPM: 67
CSPM: 48 (not specific, just listed as "entering class size," not "annual class size")
DMU: 53
KSUCPM: 125
NYCPM: 109
SCPM: 98
TUSPM: 100
WUCPM: 50

True. Coming from AACPMAS, these are the maximum class sizes for each school as of last year:

CSPM: 48 (not specific, just listed as "entering class size," not "annual class size")

AZpod will be moving up to 40 next year and 60 in a couple or more years.

As a 2nd year KSUCPM student, the school adequately prepares you for boards. Generally speaking, so long as you put effort in, you should be fine. As for the board scores, I'd agree that it largely has to do with the large class sizes and what that entails in terms of the candidates that matriculate. By this year, a majority of my class are solid - most of the people who weren't cut out for this have been weeded out. That said, there are always going to be a few scraping by - they're usually the ones who struggle to pass boards.

Additionally, KSUCPM's board pass rates are generally in line with the rest of the schools. Some years are worse and some years are better. Last year's class actually exceeded the average with a 92% pass rate. Considering our very large class sizes, that's pretty good.
You only doing podiatry since you couldn't get into a med school? I realized after a little while this field is frowned upon by many and the clinic work is awful.

are apps to Pod schools declining?

You only doing podiatry since you couldn't get into a med school? I realized after a little while this field is frowned upon by many and the clinic work is awful.

No

Do you think it would be better if The podiatry school was on Kent State’s main campus?

Probably not as proximity to Cleveland is useful for the clinical years. There isn't really anything that proximity to the main campus would offer as the current facility is more than fine. Maybe more research opportunities but that's pretty much it.

Do you think it would be better if The podiatry school was on Kent State’s main campus?
Probably not in my opinion. That would also mean that students would have to commute approximately an hour to go to a different site. Additionally and more importantly, it's definitely easier for the patients considering main campus is a lot more congested

Does using textbook that is 1 or 2 editions older matter?

I almost never used any textbooks, so probably not. The only class where you'll need a textbook is Physical Diagnosis in Spring semester, and you'll probably need the most recent textbook for that as she assigns specific page numbers.

Does using textbook that is 1 or 2 editions older matter?
I would agree with the other two users in saying that it also is not a significant. I know students at the school have a bunch of resources including PDF's of books that are shared amongst students of required textbooks. The library also has copies of all updated textbooks on file. I would feel very comfortable though buying a old edition of the book though