• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UGPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: English / Medical Humanities
GRE (including date taken): April 14, 2012 -- Verbal 166, Quant 155, Writing 5.5
Experience/Research: Student health educator for 4 years in undergrad; volunteer experience at hospitals and medical clinics; political/health-related internships

Applied:
Columbia (Pop. and Family Health), Yale (SBS), Emory (BSHE), GWU (HP), UCLA (CHS), Berkeley (MCH), Michigan (HBHE), UNC (HBHE), Tulane (Health Edu) -- (all sent by SOPHAS on 11/28)
Accepted: Tulane (11/29), GWU (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I just spoke to a lady in the Admissions office and she said that applications are under review, no one has received notification, and they are going to most likely send out notices in the end of February.
Thanks for the information. Ugh, another month or more of waiting - don't think I can take it!! Fingers crossed for everyone.

UGPA: 3.56 (Calculated by WES)
Major/Minor: MBBS (Nigeria)
GRE (including date taken): 10/30/2012 -- Verbal 157, Quant 166, Writing 4.0
Experience/Research: 1 year internship in a teaching hospital; volunteer experience: Volunteer researcher for a child health study in Africa, volunteer organisation and free health care missions
Applied: JHSPH ( Submitted 11/19, last reference 11/22) , UNC (MCH), Emory (HPM), UAlbany (SBCH), Harvard (HSB)
Accepted: JHSPH (1/8/2013) :soexcited:, Emory HPM (1/19/2013)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Best of luck to those still waiting

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Major/Minor: MBBS
Experience/Research: 1 year internship in a teaching hospital; volunteer experience: Volunteer researcher in a child health study in Africa, volunteer organisation and free health care missions
Applied:*JHSPH ( Submitted 11/19, last reference 11/22) , UNC (MCH), Emory (HPM), UAlbany (SBCH), Boston(MCH), Harvard (HSB)
Accepted: JHSPH (1/9/2013) :soexcited:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats on JHU!

Experience/Research: 1 year internship in a teaching hospital; volunteer experience: Volunteer researcher for a child health study in Africa, volunteer organisation and free health care missions
Applied: JHSPH ( Submitted 11/19, last reference 11/22) , UNC (MCH), Emory (HPM), UAlbany (SBCH), Boston(MCH), Harvard (HSB)
Accepted: JHSPH (1/8/2013) :soexcited:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats!!!!I wish the other schools would start sending out invites too...the wait is killing me!!!!

Applied: JHSPH ( Submitted 11/19, last reference 11/22) , UNC (MCH), Emory (HPM), UAlbany (SBCH), Boston(MCH), Harvard (HSB)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

WOW that's amazing! Congrats!

Rejected:
Waitlisted:
That's awesome! Congrats!! Which department were you accepted to?

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

That's awesome! Congrats!! Which department were you accepted to?

WOW that's amazing! Congrats!

Congrats!!!!I wish the other schools would start sending out invites too...the wait is killing me!!!!

Congrats on JHU!

Thanks everyone:highfive:, the forum has been of great help during the preparatory and waiting period. Good luck to everybody waiting for their first acceptance.

@mphready, department is mph and concentration is sort of customised to core courses and selected electives

I'm new to the thread but I've been lurking for awhile..

UGPA: 3.63; Big 10 school
Major/Minor: Kinesiology, Movement Science
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 151, Q: 153, W: 4.0 (these weren't my strong point)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Internship with family and sports medicine practice which led to a full-time job after graduation (spring '12) as a medical assistant. Clinical laboratory work, phlebotomy, assistance with minor surgical procedures, along with other clinical tasks. Also had leadership roles in undergrad with public health community outreach projects for underprivileged teenage girls.

My apps were sent 11/14.

Applied: (all MPH Epi): Drexel, USouth Carolina, Pitt, Boston U, UMichigan, UMinnesota, Yale, GWU, Emory
Accepted: Drexel (12/1), UMinnesota (12/17), UMichigan (1/10), BU (1/11), USouth Carolina (1/25), Pitt (1/25)
Denied:
Waitlisted:

Super excited about UMich! Received the email this morning!

Last edited:

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 151, Q: 153, W: 4.0 (these weren't my strong point)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Internship with family and sports medicine practice which led to a full-time job after graduation (spring '12) as a medical assistant. Clinical laboratory work, phlebotomy, assistance with minor surgical procedures, along with other clinical tasks. Also had leadership roles in undergrad with public health community outreach projects for underprivileged teenage girls.

Applied: (all MPH Epi): Drexel, Boston, UMichigan, UMinnesota, Yale, GWU, Emory
Accepted: Drexel (12/1), UMinnesota (12/17), UMichigan (1/10)
Denied:
Waitlisted:

Congrats on Michigan! When were all your apps mailed btw?

Members don't see this ad :)

Applied: (all MPH Epi): Drexel, Boston, UMichigan, UMinnesota, Yale, GWU, Emory
Accepted: Drexel (12/1), UMinnesota (12/17), UMichigan (1/10)
Denied:
Waitlisted:

Congrats as well! We got accepted to UMinnesota the same day, so hopefully I'll be hearing back from Michigan soon as well.

Today I was accepted to NYU's MPH program for Community and International Health. I was wondering if anyone else was applying to this program or if anyone had any opinions on it. I know it's a rather new program and has been recently accredited but I can't find a lot of information from current or prospective students. Thanks!

As the news come in the next several weeks, let us be reminded of the "real" costs. The following are estimated total Cost of Attendance (COA), which includes tuition, fees, and living expenses. These are for the schools to which I submitted an application.

UCLA: $98,600 (as a California resident, 2 years)
UC Berkeley: $115,248 (as a California resident, 2 years)
Harvard: $65,448 (1 year)
Columbia (GH Track): $117,890 (2 years, including the 6-month practicum abroad)
Boston U: $90,268 (3 semesters)
London: $66,080 (1 year)

It is nice to know that my top 2 choices are the cheapest - nicer still that I was accepted to one of them. As excited, and perhaps nervous, about the news that awaits us, making this kind of chart can be a sobering reminder of what we are getting ourselves into - and the implications of our financial choices. Save the chances of being offered a scholarship/grant/fellowship, are you ready to take out that amount of student loans? There is "prestige" in the degree itself and wherever we may end up. But it loses its cache, I believe, when one is knee-deep in debt.

I encourage you to make a similar chart for your own use. It is a reality check. :)

Last night I received an email from Georgetown University inviting me to an interview and campus visit on the 11th of feb. I have been accepted at University of Pittsburgh a few weeks ago for their MHA program. Can someone please shed some light on the MHA programs at both these universities? Which one will give me better job opportunities later?

I graduated from the MPH in epidemiology from Columbia University in May 2012. If anyone has any questions regarding anything that has to do with Columbia, feel free to private message me. I don't visit this thread often.

The only advice I would like to give to anyone pursuing an MPH is to realize how much debt you are putting yourself into. Of course a school like Columbia is amazing. After all, its an ivy league. Of course a school like Univ of Michigan is a great school. However, realize that UMich has a tuition of about 72K (last time I checked) and Columbia was about 60K (last time I checked). This is pretty steep, given that most jobs out there don't start with high salaries. I would also apply this to Boston U and NYU.

Anyways, good luck everyone. Feel free to PM me.

As the news come in the next several weeks, let us be reminded of the "real" costs. The following are estimated total Cost of Attendance (COA), which includes tuition, fees, and living expenses. These are for the schools to which I submitted an application.

UCLA: $98,600 (as a California resident, 2 years)
UC Berkeley: $115,248 (as a California resident, 2 years)
Harvard: $65,448 (1 year)
Columbia (GH Track): $117,890 (2 years, including the 6-month practicum abroad)
Boston U: $90,268 (3 semesters)
London: $66,080 (1 year)

It is nice to know that my top 2 choices are the cheapest - nicer still that I was accepted to one of them. As excited, and perhaps nervous, about the news that awaits us, making this kind of chart can be a sobering reminder of what we are getting ourselves into - and the implications of our financial choices. Save the chances of being offered a scholarship/grant/fellowship, are you ready to take out that amount of student loans? There is "prestige" in the degree itself and wherever we may end up. But it loses its cache, I believe, when one is knee-deep in debt.

I encourage you to make a similar chart for your own use. It is a reality check. :)

Just curious, how did you figure the cost for the UC Berkeley program?? It seems a bit high to me... are you calculating most of that from living expenses?? From this link (http://registrar.berkeley.edu/feesched.html) it looks like the MPH program (for in-state) tuition would total just over $45,000 for the 2 years (4 semesters). I know the cost of living in the Bay Area is steep, but I'm not sure it's quite that much--just trying to figure out if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Just curious, how did you figure the cost for the UC Berkeley program?? It seems a bit high to me... are you calculating most of that from living expenses?? From this link (http://registrar.berkeley.edu/feesched.html) it looks like the MPH program (for in-state) tuition would total just over $45,000 for the 2 years (4 semesters). I know the cost of living in the Bay Area is steep, but I'm not sure it's quite that much--just trying to figure out if I'm missing something. Thanks!

It is an estimate. You are right, it is about $45k for the 2 years (which is a bargain, relatively speaking). The Bay Area is expensive. I know, it's where I got my doctorate. But if you look at the cost of attendance on the website (http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/home/cost.htm), the cheapest cost (in-state tuition + living w/ relatives for 2 years) would be around $92k. Living off-campus would be around $100k. These figures are obviously based on their estimates. It is surely possible to "survive" on way less. In any case it shows a stark reality, I think, even at, say, $80k.

It is an estimate. You are right, it is about $45k for the 2 years (which is a bargain, relatively speaking). The Bay Area is expensive. I know, it's where I got my doctorate. But if you look at the cost of attendance on the website (http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/home/cost.htm), the cheapest cost (in-state tuition + living w/ relatives for 2 years) would be around $92k. Living off-campus would be around $100k. These figures are obviously based on their estimates. It is surely possible to "survive" on way less. In any case it shows a stark reality, I think, even at, say, $80k.

Got it! Thanks. Yes, I do know how expensive it is around here--I've been in the area for almost 6 years now. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something besides the insane cost of the area :) Compared to my other potentials (columbia, BU, 2 years at harvard, michigan out-of-state), it somehow is still perhaps my cheapest option. Oof! Good thing I love the Bay!

Someone had mentioned that it was 8 weeks since boston university sent their application for review. I was wondering if they had heard anything or if they had contacted the program? Thanks

Someone had mentioned that it was 8 weeks since boston university sent their application for review. I was wondering if they had heard anything or if they had contacted the program? Thanks

My app was received around November 21, I haven't heard anything yet, but I did call and they said my app was in the process of being reviewed.

It's been 7.5 weeks since BU emailed me saying that they were reviewing my app. Still nothing

It's been 7.5 weeks since BU emailed me saying that they were reviewing my app. Still nothing

I learned a long time ago to not rely heavily on what programs say about their timelines. Not to be a thorn on the threads, but I still say it is way too early to hear from many of the schools. We can debate about the point with having deadlines in early December, for instance, or the point of telling us that it will take 8 weeks to arrive at an admissions decisions. However, if prior threads are any indication, it is way too early. Again, BU may have notified students in December, based on last year's thread, but this is not indicative of BU's "promise" to do so on a yearly basis.

I can bet that if we call programs to ask they will all say "still under review." I mean, what else could they say? People who answer the phones are less likely to be in a position to provide more specific information, anyway.

It will vary by program, by department/track, by deadline, by when you submitted, by when they received it, etc., etc., etc.

I just spoke to someone at BU (I stopped by) and they said *most* applicants can expect admissions decisions 4 - 8 weeks from now. Not sure if that helps.

Just found out via OPUS that I got accepted to Emory's MPH program for Epi! Oddly enough I received an email a few hours ago from Emory saying that my application was forwarded to the department for review and that I would hear back in 3-4 weeks. That email must have been very delayed!

SOPHAS verified on 10/26, sent 10/30.

Applied: (all Epi) GW, BU, Emory
Accepted: GW (12/21), Emory (1/11)
Rejected:

Just found out via OPUS that I got accepted to Emory's MPH program for Epi! Oddly enough I received an email a few hours ago from Emory saying that my application was forwarded to the department for review and that I would hear back in 3-4 weeks. That email must have been very delayed!

Rejected:

Congrats! My app was sent in a few weeks after yours was, so maybe I will hear soon!

Rejected:

Also, would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure, my stats are as follows:

UGPA: 3.60
Major: Biology
GRE: 158 V, 156 Q, 4.0 W
Experience (all during undergrad): 1 year in microbio lab, summer research in cancer lab, 4 month internship with community-based public health organization, 6 month full-time internship at a state department of public health, 6 month full-time internship at biotech company.

I just got an email accepting me into Boston University's MPH in Epi! Woooooo!

Accepted to Boston University Epi today! They received my app on 11/15.

In at BU and Emory HPM today!! Sophas mailed on 11/21

Congrats everyone!

My app was complete towards the end of December - should I be worried? (BU Epi) :scared:

I have been reading this thread for a while, and I thought I would post my info too:

UGPA: 3.9/4.0
Major/Minor: Human Ecology (with a focus on pre-med and health studies)
GRE (including date taken): 8/29/12; Q- 156, V- 150, W- 4.5
Experience/Research (during undergrad): 10-week internship at a Ministry of Health in Africa, about 1-year experience in biomedical research, volunteer experience at several hospitals

Applied: BU (Epi), GWU (Epi), Yale (EMD), Drexel (Epi), UC Berkeley (Infectious Disease&Vaccinology), Brown (General MPH)
Accepted: Drexel (11/17, merit award), BU (1/11, merit award), GWU (1/30), Yale (1/31), UC Berkeley (2/6, merit award), Brown (2/25, merit award)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I submitted most apps (except for Berkeley and Brown) on 10/13/12, SOPHAS mailed them on 10/25. I am so anxious and excited!

All the best to all of us!

Attending: UC Berkeley

Last edited:
I have been reading this thread for a while, and I thought I would post my info too:

UGPA: 3.4/4,0
Major/Minor: International Studies
GRE (including date taken): 10/13/12; Q- 157 V- 165, W- 4.5
Experience/Research: 4 years of experience working in complex emergencies in Africa - South Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Ethiopia, Libya.

Applied: Columbia (MPH), Harvard (MSc), Johns Hopkins (MPH), Yale (MPH), Emory (MPH) - global health/humanitarian assistance tracks for all schools.
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hopkins didn't notify me by e-mail, I had to log in to my account to find out. They did send a letter to my home address.

Received an email today from BU! Accepted into the MPH Health Policy and Management with a merit award!!! I have also been accepted into Upitt for MHA and have an interview pending with Georgetown for the MHA. Can someone please explain what difference will there be in job opportunities etc after an MPH HPM vs an MHA?

Accepted into Emory HPM as well today.

UGPA: 3.9/4.0
Major/Minor: Human Ecology (with a focus on pre-med and health studies)
GRE (including date taken): 8/29/12; Q- 156, V- 151, W- 4.5
Experience/Research (during undergrad): 10-week internship at a Ministry of Health in Africa, about 1-year experience in biomedical research, volunteer experience at several hospitals

Applied: BU (Epi), GWU (Epi), Yale (EMD), Drexel (Epi), UC Berkeley (Infectious Disease&Vaccinology), Brown (General MPH)
Accepted: Drexel (11/17), BU (1/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I submitted most apps (except for Berkeley and Brown) on 10/13/12, SOPHAS mailed them on 10/25. I am so anxious and excited!

All the best to all of us!

UGPA: 3.4/4,0
Major/Minor: International Studies
GRE (including date taken): 10/13/12; Q- 157 V- 165, W- 4.5
Experience/Research: 4 years of experience working in complex emergencies in Africa - South Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Ethiopia, Libya.

Applied: Columbia (MPH), Harvard (MSc), Johns Hopkins (MPH), Yale (MPH), Emory (MPH) - global health/humanitarian assistance tracks for all schools.
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hopkins didn't notify me by e-mail, I had to log in to my account to find out. They did send a letter to my home address.

Congratulations, everyone! These are great news.

Received an email today from BU! Accepted into the MPH Health Policy and Management with a merit award!!! I have also been accepted into Upitt for MHA and have an interview pending with Georgetown for the MHA. Can someone please explain what difference will there be in job opportunities etc after an MPH HPM vs an MHA?

I would imagine these are two different fields - or maybe even three (policy, management, and administration).

Umm no. Not really. The MPH at BU has a specialization in Health Care Management. Health Administration and Health Care Management are one and the same. Correct?

I was wondering whether we could compile which universities require additional forms to be filled out other than FAFSA for financial aid. These are the ones I know:

1)Harvard
2)Yale

Please feel free to add on. It would be a big help to everyone.

When was your application complete at BU?