Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congratulations

Congrats!! That's terrific news, and I'm sure it's the first of many acceptances for you!
And can I just say- you do an awesome job of answering questions on here, your posts have been of great help to me!!

I second that!

conratulationsss

Amazing! Congrats!

Congratulations!

Thanks, everyone!!! Feelin' the love :love:

Yale emailed me today to notify me that my application was complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everybody! I did not realize how late I am applying compared to everyone else! GOOD LUCK!

UGPA:3.0
Major/Minor:Health Science
GradGPA (if applicable):N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable):Intl Health class, Public Health class
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):Q157, V155, W 5.0 10/2012
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years @ top research hospital; project manager clinical trials, volunteer/community service

Applied: All MPH programs: Full Time:Tulane GHSD 12/16; Emory BSHE 12/16; UNC HBHE 12/19; GW HP 12/17; Columbia SMS 12/4
Part Time: HSPH SHDH 12/4; BU SBS 12/19

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

UGPA: 3.48 (SOPHAS Calc)
Major/Minor:Science Pre-Professional Studies/Computer Applications
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 161Q(83%) 161V(86%) 4.5W - Aug. 9 2012
Experience/Research (please, be brief):Computational research in Orthopaedic Surgery (1 Summer), Biochemistry research in Protofilament dynamics(2 calendar years)

Applied: Northwestern MSEB (Non-SOPHAS, 10/20), UIC (MS-Epi), UMich (MPH-Epi), Harvard (SM-Epi) -- SOPHAS submit 11/20, Mailed 12/19
Accepted:Northwestern MSEB(11/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Long-time lurker, but I figured I'd chime in with my stats seeing that I just got accepted to Minnesota yesterday!

UGPA: 3.60
Major/Minor: Biology, Minors in Microbiology and Psychology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160V, 150Q, 4.5 W (In October)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Three years of cardiovascular disease research focusing on prevention and management in high stressed occupations (Police officers, etc), year working in the laboratory of a large hospital

Applied: U of Michigan (Epi), Emory (Epi), U of Minnesota (Epi), and U of Iowa (Epi) - Verified 10/28, Minnesota and others received around 11/13
Accepted: U of Minnesota (Epi)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Minnesota had this really neat video with the Dean of the college thanking me and saying he can't wait to meet all of us.

Here's to hoping I get accepted to my other choices!

Last edited:
Long-time lurker, but I figured I'd chime in with my stats seeing that I just got accepted to Minnesota yesterday!

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160V, 150Q, 4.5 W (In October)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Three years of cardiovascular disease research focusing on prevention and management in high stressed occupations (Police officers, etc), year working in the laboratory of a large hospital

Applied: U of Michigan (Epi), Emory (Epi), U of Minnesota (Epi), and U of Iowa (Epi) - Verified 10/28, Minnesota and others received around 11/13
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Minnesota had this really neat video with the Dean of the college thanking me and saying he can't wait to meet all of us.

Congratulations! :D

Has anyone received an email for Emory today about getting assigned a financial aid advisor? I did. There is also an announcement about it on OPUS.

Strange, there is still no decision for me yet though.

Has anyone received an email for Emory today about getting assigned a financial aid advisor? I did. There is also an announcement about it on OPUS.

Strange, there is still no decision for me yet though.

I also got that email from Emory regarding a financial aid advisor. No admissions decision for me on OPUS either though.

Just received an email from GW stating that I was accepted!

SOPHAS verified on 10/26, sent 10/30.

Applied: (all Epi) GW, BU, Emory
Accepted: GW (12/21)
Rejected:

First acceptance today! :D

Tulane MSPH in Environmental Health Science (12/21)

Acceptance letter was sent by email
Submitted SOPHAS: 11/2
Mailed: 11/20
Tulane Under Review Email: 11/21

Accepted into GWU today! It's actually one of my top picks. While The school itself isn't the highest ranked, it has incredible connections to Congress and the Beltway for health policy students.

Accepted into GWU today! It's actually one of my top picks. While The school itself isn't the highest ranked, it has incredible connections to Congress and the Beltway for health policy students.
congrates guys :) ..

I am very tensed about my application status. no response at all !!:confused::confused:

Congrats on all the acceptances. Though late, thought I would post my stats:

GPA:3.84 from medical school in India(acc to WES)
GRE: VERBAL:159, QUANT: 162, AW: 4.0
TOEFL(IBT) :116

Experience: currently working as a research intern with 1 paper on its way
1 year exp as a doctor in India, with high emphasis in public health.

Applied: SOPHAS sent everything on 1/28

UW (MPH-Epi) (Dec 1st)
BU (MPH-IH) - BU sent my app for review on dec 5th
Harvard (MPH- global health), Harvard received the app on dec 4th
Yale (MPH-CDE/EHS), Yale told me they received my app on Nov 27th(completed on 1/4)
UC Davis (MPH),
SDSU (MPH-Epi),
UC Berkeley (MPH-Epi/ID),
UNC (MPH-Epi)

Accepted: BU(1/14/13 with merit scholarship)
Rejected: Yale (1/24/13), UNC (2/6/13)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UGPA: 3.48 (SOPHAS Calc)
Major/Minor:Science Pre-Professional Studies/Computer Applications
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 161Q(83%) 161V(86%) 4.5W - Aug. 9 2012
Experience/Research (please, be brief):Computational research in Orthopaedic Surgery (1 Summer), Biochemistry research in Protofilament dynamics(2 calendar years)

Applied: Northwestern MSEB (Non-SOPHAS, 10/20), UIC (MS-Epi), UMich (MPH-Epi), Harvard (SM-Epi) -- SOPHAS submit 11/20, Mailed 12/19
Accepted:Northwestern MSEB(11/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I also got that email from Emory regarding a financial aid advisor. No admissions decision for me on OPUS either though.

Just received an email from GW stating that I was accepted!

SOPHAS verified on 10/26, sent 10/30.

Applied: (all Epi) GW, BU, Emory
Accepted: GW (12/21)
Rejected:

First acceptance today! :D

Tulane MSPH in Environmental Health Science (12/21)

Acceptance letter was sent by email
Submitted SOPHAS: 11/2
Mailed: 11/20
Tulane Under Review Email: 11/21

Congratulations!!! It sounds like a great start for folks - and indeed, great news still to come for all of us. :D

Judging from last year's thread, it is going to be a quiet next 2 weeks. There were a few posts between now and the New Year. However, it seems likely that things won't start bumpin' again until after the New Year.

Happy Holidays! And Happy Stuffin' Our Faces!!!

O crap..I applied to GWU also but did not receive anything from them yet. Do they send out all acceptances the same day?...just wondering!

Last edited:
When did you apply? A lot of schools seem to have rolling admissions without specifically stating that they do.

UGPA: 3.5 Top Ten IV
Major/Minor: Neurobiology
GRE : 163 (Q) 161(V) 5.0 (AW), 161 (Q) 163(V) 5.5 (AW) -Mailman said they take the best so I sent both
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Healthcare consulting at two firms (3 years experience) working on both pharmaceutical and health system strategy projects. Clinical trials to implementation of health reform

Applied (all health policy in December): Harvard (SM2); Columbia(MPH); Hopkins (MPH); University of Michigan(MPH); Yale (MPH) Emory (MPH) UPenn (MPH)
Accepted: Emory (2/7)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
New here :)

UGPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: BA Arts & Humanities, BS Anthropology, minor in Bioethics
GRE: 162 V, 159 Q, 5.0 W- In September
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Not much research- had to work full time throughout undergrad; work as a domestic violence advocate, interned for a Senator doing health policy research, studied health care in a Latin American country

I'm focusing on maternal health or MCH epidemiology depending on where my interests fit for that school.

SOPHAS submitted on 11/29, processed 12/19

Applied: Columbia (11//27, EPI), U of Minnesota (12/01, MCHEpi), Emory (12/20 Global Health), St. Louis (12/22), Arizona (12/23 MCH), Michigan (12/24, HBHE)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Applied later than I would have liked and I'm still finishing up BU and Tulane.

Hello! :)

New to the forum. For those still completing their undergrad degrees, is anyone sending the schools to which they applied their update fall 2012 transcript directly? I know most schools don't mention providing recent semester transcripts if still enrolled...

Thanks!

How long did it take for schools to send confirmations that they've received applications? I assume there's an extended delay since mine were sent out right before the holidays.

How long did it take for schools to send confirmations that they've received applications? I assume there's an extended delay since mine were sent out right before the holidays.

I am tracking for schools/programs to which I submitted an application. Here is what I have:

UCLA (MPH, Health Policy Track & Global Health Certificate):
10/30, submitted to SOPHAS
11/14, mailed by SOPHAS
11/30, submitted GradApp
12/14, confirmation email/app sent to dept

BERKELEY (Joint MPH/MPP, Health & Public Policy):
10/30, submitted to SOPHAS
11/14, mailed by SOPHAS
11/16, submitted Grad App
***No confirmation email is sent to applicants.***

HARVARD (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Interdisciplinary Leadership):
11/17, submitted to SOPHAS
11/21, mailed by SOPHAS
12/4, confirmation email/app sent to dept
12/15, MyFinAid portal open/PIN provided
12/19, MyFinAid completed/sent to HSPH

BOSTON U (MPH, Human Rights Focus):
11/30, submitted to SOPHAS
12/5, mailed by SOPHAS
12/11, confirmation email/app sent to dept

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MED (MSc, Global Mental Health):
11/5, submitted online myApp
12/15, scholarship app completed/sent to dept
12/17, admitted

COLUMBIA (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Global Health Certificate):
12/14, submitted to SOPHAS
12/19, mailed by SOPHAS

This is a pretty specific question, but I thought I would post on here since it is some what relevant.

So I applied to Columbia for the priority deadline but I noticed, after submitting, that my statement had a hyphen in a word that does not need a hyphen. I am debating calling the admissions department to ask to re-submit (I heard this is a possibility), but I am not sure it is worth it. I realize this is minor but I am obviously obsessive and nervous. I do not know if this is a make or break type of thing. My stats are below.

UGPA: 3.5 U of Pennsylvania (started in engineering, made Dean's list the last two years)
Major/Minor: Neurobiology with honors
GRE : 163 (Q) 161(V) 5.0 (AW), 161 (Q) 163(V) 5.5 (AW) -Mailman said they take the best so I sent both
Experience/Research: Healthcare consulting at two firms (3 years experience) working on both pharmaceutical and health system strategy projects. Work ranges from Clinical trials to implementation of health reform. Recs are from two of the partners at the firm who know me very well and my thesis professor.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?
Sorry if this sounds totally crazy.

This is a pretty specific question, but I thought I would post on here since it is some what relevant.

So I applied to Columbia for the priority deadline but I noticed, after submitting, that my statement had a hyphen in a word that does not need a hyphen. I am debating calling the admissions department to ask to re-submit (I heard this is a possibility), but I am not sure it is worth it. I realize this is minor but I am obviously obsessive and nervous. I do not know if this is a make or break type of thing. My stats are below.

UGPA: 3.5 U of Pennsylvania (started in engineering, made Dean's list the last two years)
Experience/Research: Healthcare consulting at two firms (3 years experience) working on both pharmaceutical and health system strategy projects. Work ranges from Clinical trials to implementation of health reform. Recs are from two of the partners at the firm who know me very well and my thesis professor.

what's the hyphenated word?

"take-on" is the word. The essay is all okay apart from that.

It is NOT a "make or break type of thing" for you or anyone else. It's a hyphen.

Harvard confirmation email says to expect a decision between end of February and end of March. Doesn't that seem a bit drawn out for a Dec. 15th deadline?

Harvard confirmation email says to expect a decision between end of February and end of March. Doesn't that seem a bit drawn out for a Dec. 15th deadline?

This is common. Also, while the faculty/staff may be working in the month of January, it may be worth noting that the Harvard spring semester does not start until the end of January. Ostensibly, the school (the students, at least) is "off" for 4 weeks - and in some programs at the university, for 5 weeks. Many applications are due in December, many do not notify until March. It is par for the course.

Hello! :)

New to the forum. For those still completing their undergrad degrees, is anyone sending the schools to which they applied their update fall 2012 transcript directly? I know most schools don't mention providing recent semester transcripts if still enrolled...

Thanks!
I know that Johns Hopkins wants you to send your updated transcripts after you're accepted, but I don't know about other schools

So today is the 3rd....and this is when the previous years started hearing back from a lot of universities. Keeping my fingers crossed for some good news.
:scared:

So Yale had emailed me December 16th telling me that my app was considered complete, and today, I got a second email that said the same thing. Anyone else? I was so excited when I saw I got an email from Yale. :/

So Yale had emailed me December 16th telling me that my app was considered complete, and today, I got a second email that said the same thing. Anyone else? I was so excited when I saw I got an email from Yale. :/
Yep, I got the same thing. Erggg.

Has anyone heard anything from BU? Seems they're taking awfully long for rolling admission.....

Nothing yet from BU; it's been almost seven weeks since they informed me that my application was being reviewed

Last edited:
New here :)

UGPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: BA Arts & Humanities, BS Anthropology, minor in Bioethics
GRE: 162 V, 159 Q, 5.0 W- In September
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Not much research- had to work full time throughout undergrad; work as a domestic violence advocate, interned for a Senator doing health policy research, studied health care in a Latin American country

I'm focusing on maternal health or MCH epidemiology depending on where my interests fit for that school.

SOPHAS submitted on 11/29, processed 12/19

Applied: Columbia (11//27, EPI), U of Minnesota (12/01, MCHEpi), Emory (12/20 Global Health), St. Louis (12/22), Arizona (12/23 MCH), Michigan (12/24, HBHE)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Applied later than I would have liked and I'm still finishing up BU and Tulane.

Update: got in to my first program- St. Louis' Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness program :D

Applied: Columbia (11//27, EPI), U of Minnesota (12/01, MCHEpi), Emory (12/20 Global Health), St. Louis (12/22), Arizona (12/23 MCH), Michigan (12/24, HBHE), GWU (1/02, MCH), BU (1/04, IH)
Accepted: St. Louis (BSDP)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone heard anything from BU? Seems they're taking awfully long for rolling admission.....

Nothing yet; it's been almost seven weeks since they informed me that my application was being reviewed

It is way too early to be hearing from programs. Getting news at this time of year is the exception rather than the rule. True, BU started to give notices some time in December, according to last year's thread. However, most programs do not notify until late January, at the earliest, with most some time in February through March. Also, programs that follow rolling admission do not necessarily mean they accept students on a rolling basis (i.e., as applications come in). This, in part, simply means that they can notify students at any point in the application process, as opposed to a particular date(s). Also, some programs may prefer a "gathered field" approach to admission, whereby they wait until a sufficient number of applications have come in to make a reasonable assessment of the following year's cohort.

I also applied to BU. I would be lucky to hear from them this month. I do not expect to hear from programs, including BU, until mid-February. I was accepted to London in mid-December. This is a rare case - and the fact that there is one person who decides. :D

Update: got in to my first program- St. Louis' Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness program :D

Applied: Columbia (11//27, EPI), U of Minnesota (12/01, MCHEpi), Emory (12/20 Global Health), St. Louis (12/22), Arizona (12/23 MCH), Michigan (12/24, HBHE), GWU (1/02, MCH), BU (1/04, IH)
Accepted: St. Louis (BSDP)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congratulations! I have never heard of that field, but it sounds specialized and unique. It sounds like a great opportunity. Kudos! :)

It is way too early to be hearing from programs. Getting news at this time of year is the exception rather than the rule. True, BU started to give notices some time in December, according to last year's thread. However, most programs do not notify until late January, at the earliest, with most some time in February through March. Also, programs that follow rolling admission do not necessarily mean they accept students on a rolling basis (i.e., as applications come in). This, in part, simply means that they can notify students at any point in the application process, as opposed to a particular date(s). Also, some programs may prefer a "gathered field" approach to admission, whereby they wait until a sufficient number of applications have come in to make a reasonable assessment of the following year's cohort.

Interesting. The email clearly states "notification may take up to eight weeks". Since I applied pretty early (application submitted late October and mailed out soon after that), I figured I would hear from them by now. I'll keep everyone updated as to when I do hear back. Cheers.

With the first full week coming up after the holidays, it is likely (at least based on last year's threads) that more programs will start to give out notices. This is a friendly reminder, as stated in the 1st page of this thread, to follow some kind of format (such as below). It will generate as much as assuage any anxieties we may have. :)

UGPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck! And thank you! :D

In the email from Yale stating they received all materials it mentions making sure to apply for financial aid by March regardless of admissions decisions.

What is the process for submitting FAFSA? I am so confused. Any help appreciated! :)

Nothing yet from BU; it's been almost seven weeks since they informed me that my application was being reviewed

In the email from Yale stating they received all materials it mentions making sure to apply for financial aid by March regardless of admissions decisions.

What is the process for submitting FAFSA? I am so confused. Any help appreciated! :)

Go to the FAFSA website and fill it out for 2013-2014. One of the questions will ask to which schools you wish to designate the information on FAFSA. List all the schools that are asking for FAFSA. When you complete and submit it, then the schools will have access to your financial aid information.

Go to the FAFSA website and fill it out for 2013-2014. One of the questions will ask to which schools you wish to designate the information on FAFSA. List all the schools that are asking for FAFSA. When you complete and submit it, then the schools will have access to your financial aid information.

I completed it a few days ago. Does it expedite the admissions process in any way?

I completed it a few days ago. Does it expedite the admissions process in any way?

I doubt it. It may expedite how close the time may be between the time you hear about acceptance and the time you hear about financial aid (e.g., grants/scholarships, etc.). However, admissions decisions are independent of the information for financial aid. Also, some schools may accept you with a merit-based scholarship independent of financial aid. Just take pleasure in knowing you completed that piece of the application. :D

UGPA: 3.54
Major/Minor: Environmental Public Health/Chemistry
GRE: 162 V, 155 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research with an Econ prof on impacts of Climate Change in US & China, Sustainability Director at school and two PH internships

Applied: Columbia, BU, GWU, Tulane, USC, UMinn (all MPH EHS). Turned in everything to SOPHAS 12/18 but nothing mailed yet.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anybody else starting to get a bit eager? haha

When did people start hearing from Yale last year?

Thanks!

Last year the first acceptances were sent out on 1/11 for Yale. So we'll see if it's the same this year - fingers crossed!

Last year the first acceptances were sent out on 1/11 for Yale. So we'll see if it's the same this year - fingers crossed!

I just spoke to a lady in the Admissions office and she said that applications are under review, no one has received notification, and they are going to most likely send out notices in the end of February.

I feel like they are all running slower this year. BU started sending out decisions earlier last year.

UGPA: 3.33

Major/Minor: MBBS from India

GradGPA (if applicable): 3.13 MS(ENT) from India with research done in my post graduation.

GRE : V-150, Q-155, AW-3

Experience/Research (please, be brief):3yrs of work experience- 6months as junior doctor, 2&1/2 years as ENT Specialist with 6months experince in abroad Ministry of Health.

TOEFL- 108.

applied for MHA program

Applied: cornell, vcu, jhu, trinity, tulane, texas woman, minnesota, michigan.----- just submitted my application through HAMPCAS . cornell application status - complete.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

i am still waiting for my transcripts to be updated in HAMPCAS section. really getting late

I am not able to understand cornell u status- saying application status- completed??????????