Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted at UMich (HMP MPH) today :D Surprisingly, I didn't have to interview, hoping it's not a mistake! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted at UMich (HMP MPH) today :D Surprisingly, I didn't have to interview, hoping it's not a mistake! :xf:
Congratulations jfloriaxx! That's so exciting!!

If you don't mind my asking, when did you submit your apps?

I submitted to SOPHAS on 10/19, they mailed out my apps on 11/7, and I got an email from UM saying they received everything on 11/19. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted to SOPHAS on 10/19, they mailed out my apps on 11/7, and I got an email from UM saying they received everything on 11/19. Hope that helps!

How were you notified?

*about the acceptance that is, not that they received the app*

UGPA: 3.55 from top 10 university
Major/Minor: Human Biology major, psychology minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (2/2012) V 161, Q 167, W 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 years full-time social science research assistant on NIH funded large-scale projects

All (except UW which doesn't use SOPHAS) were mailed 10/14 and have gotten responses saying they've been received except from Columbia. Submitted UW later: 11/29.

Applied: UC Berkeley (HSB), UW (HS, SBS), Columbia (SMS), BU (HBHE), Harvard (SM in SHDH), UMich (HBHE), UNC (HB), Yale (SBS)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone gotten an email from Emory saying that their application was received? The website says you should get one, but my application was mailed out on 11/21 and I still haven't gotten anything. I called their admissions office and left a message but haven't heard back from them.

Has anyone gotten an email from Emory saying that their application was received? The website says you should get one, but my application was mailed out on 11/21 and I still haven't gotten anything. I called their admissions office and left a message but haven't heard back from them.

I got an email saying that my app was received but their reviewing process hasn't started yet. My app was mailed 11/14 and I got the email 11/19.

Awesome! You must have quite the application :p

I got scheduled for a phone interview with faculty for sometime in January.

I never got an e-mail from Emory :( The app went out around the 21st of November.

My app was mailed Nov 21st and I haven't heard anything from Emory either. They're probably getting a lot of apps in now so maybe it's taking a little longer to process

Congrates!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I just received my admissions offer from the University of Pittsburgh for MHA Fall 2013.
Let me know if any one else has applied or is applying to UPitt for MHA?
Most probably planning on taking it! :banana:

Hey guys!
I just received my admissions offer from the University of Pittsburgh for MHA Fall 2013.

Congrats! =)

Hey guys!
Congratulations on your acceptance!

-Ryan, University of Pittsburgh, MHA ‘12

I received an email with a link to see that I was accepted at Drexel for an MPH in Epi today!

Has anyone received notification from columbia, ucberkeley, or ucla regarding applications being complete or received?

SOPHAS sent them 11/14/12

-just wondering

Has anyone received notification from columbia, ucberkeley, or ucla regarding applications being complete or received?

-just wondering

To my knowledge the UC's do not send out notifications if an application is complete - only when an application is incomplete. So, if you do not hear from them, assume they have it and it's complete. I know for sure Berkeley specifically states on its website that applicants should not expect to hear from them until a decision is made.

I cannot speak for Columbia. I have yet to submit mine. Good luck! ;)

I agree with porkbuns on the UC situation. I didn't apply to UCLA, but Berkeley did say that they would NOT notify you of receipt.

I also have not heard anything from Columbia (and my apps were also mailed 11/14). Don't know why, but I also only just got notification of receipt from Harvard about a week ago. I assume they either don't notify, or are particularly slow (perhaps related to the 12/1 soft deadline? maybe they don't review any apps until then?) All just speculation I suppose.

Anyway, I think it's normal. :)

In past years Columbia has not notified that apps were received, not sure if it changed since they did switch a few things around. I wouldn't expect to hear from them until late Feb at the earliest.

In past years Columbia has not notified that apps were received, not sure if it changed since they did switch a few things around. I wouldn't expect to hear from them until late Feb at the earliest.

I did not receive a notification last year, but I did email them to confirm that they did receive it (I got a confirmation from every other school, so I was worried). They were very polite about it, and confirmed they had received it.

UGPA: 2.92, graduating in May, hoping to get it up to at least a 3.0
Major/Minor: History/Biology
GRE: 167 V, 159 Q, 4.0 W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research with a Medical Anthropology Professor, some volunteer experience in Thailand and Indonesia

Applied: UMich, BU, Yale, GWU, UT, UCLA (all epi), Tulane (Tropical Medicine), Columbia (Global Health) - Applied 9/28, SOPHAS verified 10/24
Accepted: Tulane (12/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Accepted to Tulane today via email :)

-just wondering
I just heard from UCLA today saying they received my app and its heading to my department for review. SOPHAS mailed it out on 11/7. I think the reason for the big gap in confirming apps is that UCLA doesn't even begin going over applications until their deadline, which was the 1st, so they're probably just getting out confirmations now.

Congrats on all the acceptances everyone!

I just heard from UCLA today saying they received my app and its heading to my department for review. SOPHAS mailed it out on 11/7. I think the reason for the big gap in confirming apps is that UCLA doesn't even begin going over applications until their deadline, which was the 1st, so they're probably just getting out confirmations now.

Congrats on all the acceptances everyone!

...ditto ;)

Hi all,
I am a BDS graduate from India, willing to pursue 1 year MPH program at one of the following:
1. Emory Univ
2. Tulane Univ
3. UNC - chapel hill
4. Thomas Jefferson univ
5. Alabama Univ

I'll be taking my GRE and toefl in a month. I want to get into one of these schools and may i know what kind of profile is needed so that i can easily get in. My gpa is 3.39 and have 5 years work experience in dentistry. I would appreciate any of your reply.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted to Pitt BCHS department on 12/13/12!

Applied: Pitt, Drexel, Yale, Columbia, UMich, GW, BU, WUSTL
Accepted: Pitt (12/13), Drexel (12/12)

Apps Mailed by SOPHAS 11/28

Congrats!!

Hi all,
I am a BDS graduate from India, willing to pursue 1 year MPH program at one of the following:
1. Emory Univ
2. Tulane Univ
3. UNC - chapel hill
4. Thomas Jefferson univ
5. Alabama Univ

I'll be taking my GRE and toefl in a month. I want to get into one of these schools and may i know what kind of profile is needed so that i can easily get in. My gpa is 3.39 and have 5 years work experience in dentistry. I would appreciate any of your reply.

Thanks in advance!

I suggest looking at their websites. Most programs outline what they perceive as "successful" candidates and what specific requirements they may have. Good luck! :D

UGPA: 3.35
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 10/12/12 V-159, Q-151, AW 4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): International research in Ethiopia, research in microbiology lab, internship with public health project, science museum explaining public health's benefits to visitors

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Submitted applications 11/16, weren't mailed until 12/12 according to SOPHAS but Tulane said they received the application on 12/10, GWU received 12/14

Applied: Tulane (epi), Johns Hopkins (international health - GDEC), GWU (epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

london, baby! :soexcited:

such a good monday morning already!

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MED (MSc, Global Mental Health):
11/5, submitted online myApp
11/30, myApp completed (all LORs submitted)
12/17, admitted

Last edited by a moderator:
i received an email from emory today with opus information.

london, baby! :soexcited:

such a good monday morning already!
Congrats!! :):) That's terrific news, and I'm sure it's the first of many acceptances for you!
And can I just say- you do an awesome job of answering questions on here, your posts have been of great help to me!!:)

Congrats!! :):) That's terrific news, and I'm sure it's the first of many acceptances for you!
And can I just say- you do an awesome job of answering questions on here, your posts have been of great help to me!!:)

I second that! :thumbup::)

I posted in the wrong area on the application post butttttttttt I just received my acceptance packet from Drexel and a paper said I was awarded the Dean's Award, with 8,000 a year support.

I posted in the wrong area on the application post butttttttttt I just received my acceptance packet from Drexel and a paper said I was awarded the Dean's Award, with 8,000 a year support.

..as I've said before, fancy!!!!

Got into UPitt a few days after my phone interview. Financial aid TBD in the acceptance packet (I think). I'm not making any acceptance decisions until I see decisions from all of my schools and fin. aid offers from them too.

I have been lurking around this forum for a while. Thought I'd post my stats/profile (not that great). If anyone could comment on my chances, it'd be great.

Grad GPA: 3.42 Molecular Biochemistry, GWU.
GRE: V 152 (56%) Q157 (71%) 3.0 (Sucks that I scored higher on my previous test)
Experience:
1. Undergraduate thesis for 1 year on drug interactions between anti-diabetic drugs on mouse models.
2. Graduate research thesis for 2 years on a gene called Plk1 and hexavalent chromium induced DNA damage implicated in lung cancer (basically environment carcinogenesis research). My head mentor is a big name is cancer survivorship and public health. He's now the deputy director at the Duke Cancer Institute (if that adds any value to my application)
4. Interned at Children's National Medical Center for 1 month doing research on pediatric neuro-oncology.
5. Worked as research fellow for 6 months at GWU's office of tech transfer helping them with biomedical patents and marketability research.
6. Currently working as a research assistant since 6 months in the department of radiation oncology at Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel cancer center (no.3 cancer hospital in the US). Doing research on radiation carcinogenesis, breast cancer genes and DNA damage.

I am applying to epi programs and mentioned my concentration as cancer epidemiology (pertaining to my research experience and passion for cancer science).

Applying: Harvard (SM2 cancer epi), Yale (CDE), Boston (epi) and Columbia (epi)

Chances at any of these schools? (Harvard is out of question. Just applied because my senior from GWU got into it)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have been lurking around this forum for a while. Thought I'd post my stats/profile (not that great). If anyone could comment on my chances, it'd be great.

Grad GPA: 3.42 Molecular Biochemistry, GWU.
GRE: V 152 (56%) Q157 (71%) 3.0 (Sucks that I scored higher on my previous test)
Experience:
1. Undergraduate thesis for 1 year on drug interactions between anti-diabetic drugs on mouse models.
2. Graduate research thesis for 2 years on a gene called Plk1 and hexavalent chromium induced DNA damage implicated in lung cancer (basically environment carcinogenesis research). My head mentor is a big name is cancer survivorship and public health. He's now the deputy director at the Duke Cancer Institute (if that adds any value to my application)
4. Interned at Children's National Medical Center for 1 month doing research on pediatric neuro-oncology.
5. Worked as research fellow for 6 months at GWU's office of tech transfer helping them with biomedical patents and marketability research.
3.Currently working as a research assistant since 6 months in the department of radiation oncology at Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel cancer center (no.3 cancer hospital in the US). Doing research on radiation carcinogenesis, breast cancer genes and DNA damage.

I am applying to epi programs and mentioned my concentration as cancer epidemiology (pertaining to my research experience and passion for cancer science).

Applying: Harvard (SM2 cancer epi), Yale (CDE), Boston (epi) and Columbia (epi)

Chances at any of these schools? (Harvard is out of question. Just applied because my senior from GWU got into it)

Thanks.

Dang. I think you have a really good chance. Especially with experiences like those!

I received my Emory OPUS id yesterday and I checked the To-Do list today and it states my official scores as "Initiated". According to their table that means that something is outstanding and can't be forwarded. However, I did send my GRE scores and SOPHAS lists Emory as a recipient under the official tests section.

I emailed them today to see what's up. Anyone else see this?

Dang. I think you have a really good chance. Especially with experiences like those!

Thanks. Your comment is definitely encouraging. But I am worried about my GRE and GPA numbers. Compared to others in this forum, I just have run-of-the-mill numbers. BU i think I'll have a chance. Any opinion on my prospects at Yale and Columbia?

Honestly, my experience has been purely in molecular biology and cancer science and I don't have any experience directly related to public health like you do. Could that be one of the downsides of my application?

I received my Emory OPUS id yesterday and I checked the To-Do list today and it states my official scores as "Initiated". According to their table that means that something is outstanding and can't be forwarded. However, I did send my GRE scores and SOPHAS lists Emory as a recipient under the official tests section.

I emailed them today to see what's up. Anyone else see this?

I've got the same issue going on.

Awhile ago, I emailed my other schools to see if they had my GRE scores and they all did, so I'm not entirely sure why Emory hasn't gotten mine yet.

I've got the same issue going on.

Awhile ago, I emailed my other schools to see if they had my GRE scores and they all did, so I'm not entirely sure why Emory hasn't gotten mine yet.

I have the same thing too. I know all the other schools got mine and SOPHAS shows that I have sent it to Emory too. My guess is that since they just started sending opus information that they haven't yet updated our GRE scores in their system. It said that sometimes it can take up to 48 hours for information to show up, so maybe by Monday of next week the scores will be up. I'm not worried about it right now. :)

I got accepted to Tulane today! They took 8 days from emailing me about receiving my application to sending my acceptance email.