Regretting DO route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current or former DO students, do any of you regret doing a DO program? Or do you know classmates who regret it? If so, what are the main reasons you or others regret it? How did being in a DO program compare to what you had expected before you matriculated? Was it better or worse? And what aspects surprised you most in a positive /negative way? Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Current DO student:

Most of us at some point or another regret med school in general. You also end up regretting the program you picked, MD or DO bc when you’re getting beat down you’re thinking “ why’d I go to this one? I bet they wouldn’t make me do this at that other one I interviewed at.” Being a DO just gives you something else to b*tch about like mandatory omm, discrimination in the match, and barring a few exceptions the likely higher tuition.

As far as expectations, I don’t think anyone expects it to be this hard MD/DO. So again, not really a DO specific thing. Med school just sucks more than anyone on the outside could ever imagine. I imagine there’s people who think a DO school will be easier (maybe it is, no one’s attended both so who’s to say) and get blindsided.

I was very surprised by how amazing my classmates all seemed at first. Like to the point where I was in disbelief at times that I was allowed to go to the same school as them! One of the first people I met went to a prestigious undergrad and speaks several languages fluently. I met people with masters degrees in stuff I never knew existed. I could give other examples, but I’d sacrifice anonymity to do so. But I’m just some hick from nowhere. Being around all these super high achievers gave me some pretty bad imposter syndrome that I still struggle with. But since you’re all at the same place, with the exception of some outliers, you eventually realize that these rockstars are in the same league as you. So that’s been good and bad.

The friends you make in med school are friends for life. These are like your war buddies. We all go off on our own for different paths. But they could call me up out of the blue in 10 years and I’d happily help them with whatever. This was the best part for me.

• Love
Reactions: 60 users
Current DO student:

Most of us at some point or another regret med school in general. You also end up regretting the program you picked, MD or DO bc when you’re getting beat down you’re thinking “ why’d I go to this one? I bet they wouldn’t make me do this at that other one I interviewed at.” Being a DO just gives you something else to b*tch about like mandatory omm, discrimination in the match, and barring a few exceptions the likely higher tuition.

As far as expectations, I don’t think anyone expects it to be this hard MD/DO. So again, not really a DO specific thing. Med school just sucks more than anyone on the outside could ever imagine. I imagine there’s people who think a DO school will be easier (maybe it is, no one’s attended both so who’s to say) and get blindsided.

I was very surprised by how amazing my classmates all seemed at first. Like to the point where I was in disbelief at times that I was allowed to go to the same school as them! One of the first people I met went to a prestigious undergrad and speaks several languages fluently. I met people with masters degrees in stuff I never knew existed. I could give other examples, but I’d sacrifice anonymity to do so. But I’m just some hick from nowhere. Being around all these super high achievers gave me some pretty bad imposter syndrome that I still struggle with. But since you’re all at the same place, with the exception of some outliers, you eventually realize that these rockstars are in the same league as you. So that’s been good and bad.

The friends you make in med school are friends for life. These are like your war buddies. We all go off on our own for different paths. But they could call me up out of the blue in 10 years and I’d happily help them with whatever. This was the best part for me.

Just finished orientation, and I feel this imposter syndrome deeply. Many of my classmates have incredible stories to tell, and I’m just me, from a super rural background (with the heavy drawl to prove it) who just wants to be a doctor and go back there. I feel quite plain and mediocre often among this group.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished orientation, and I feel this imposter syndrome deeply. Many of my classmates have incredible stories to tell, and I’m just me, from a super rural background (with the heavy drawl to prove it) who just wants to be a doctor and go back there. I feel quite plain and mediocre often among this group.
This is me on all levels except not being a current med student, haha

Reactions: 1 user
With this current cycle, definitely feeling a little bit of the impostor syndrome since I'm super non-trad. If I am fortunate to get in, I will not regret it one bit. You are one step closer to being a doctor, to helping people. Who cares if it says MD or DO after your name!

Reactions: 4 users
For current or former DO students, do any of you regret doing a DO program? Or do you know classmates who regret it? If so, what are the main reasons you or others regret it? How did being in a DO program compare to what you had expected before you matriculated? Was it better or worse? And what aspects surprised you most in a positive /negative way? Thanks !
At graduation we ask our students if they could do it all over again, would the do so? Would they do something else? Would they go for MD?

About 5% say that they'd do something else, and another 5% say that they'd go for MD.

Self-hating DO students are real...they beat themselves up and feel that "they weren't good enough" for MD. I suspect that these are people who would rather curse the darkness than light a candle.

But the vast majority of my students are happy to be where they are.

Reactions: 27 users
Nope. Will get to bill $70/ body region when I start practicing. That’ll be pretty nice.

Accepted early on that the education I was getting was pretty poor, turned to textbooks sketchy etc, checked out of classes for 2 years, did my own thing, did well on boards so it was worth it. Being a DO student is fine, you just have to accept that it’s going to be a journey getting there

Reactions: 8 users
Nope. Will get to bill $70/ body region when I start practicing. That’ll be pretty nice.

Accepted early on that the education I was getting was pretty poor, turned to textbooks sketchy etc, checked out of classes for 2 years, did my own thing, did well on boards so it was worth it. Being a DO student is fine, you just have to accept that it’s going to be a journey getting there

what do you mean by body region lol

I feel like I got a great education at my DO school and ended up in the specialty I wanted. Couldn't be happier.

This forum really exaggerates the differences in DO vs MD education. It makes it seem like MD’s only rotate at tertiary medical centers on resident teams and DO’s only rotate at small community programs with a preceptor. The truth lies somewhere in between for both MD’s and DO’s depending on the rotation.

Reactions: 10 users
I would be stoked to be a DO. It lines up very much so with my future practice interests and my personal philosophy to some extent. I am not sure if I would be able to implement OMM into my practice goals, but I think there are some times it could be used, but that is only a small part.

I’m a doctor and don’t have to carry things up ladders or finish concrete or dig holes anymore.

I’m good

• Love
Reactions: 50 users
I’m a doctor and don’t have to carry things up ladders or finish concrete or dig holes anymore.

I’m good
You're a DO? I always took you for an MD when you posted in the Pharm forums. Cool. What area do you practice in?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a DO? I always took you for an MD when you posted in the Pharm forums. Cool. What area do you practice in?
I’ve been reasonably open about DO. No shame in it but it comes with some baggage that people need to be open about

Current DO student:

I'd have to say I pretty much agree with everything you said. Wife and I were married as students, I was a 4th yr and she a 1st yr. I was in DO school and she in a very old MD program. I looked at her preclinical material during the first 2 yrs and can confirm it nearly identical, Save for OMM. As I later went on to an Acgme residency and fellowship, I felt my school gave me a very good foundation. If you cant handle explaining to patients and family exactly what a DO is, you have made a mistake by becoming one. My MD colleagues were always collegial and accepted my clinical acumen as valid. They never attempted to confirm my judgement by getting another opinion. A small percentage of DOs are self loathing because they are not MDs and believe they should have taken that gap year.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
“And that will be cash only please”
Haha you caught me. The retirement dream is cash only OMM between mountain biking / ski towns hours only after lifts close

Reactions: 5 users
No regrets. My clinical education is the same as my MD friend’s, and I am well on my way to getting into my field of choice and will likely be competitive enough to be able to do it at a high quality traditionally MD program.

3 more board exams until I never have to think about OMM again lol, but whose counting?

• Haha
Haha you caught me. The retirement dream is cash only OMM between mountain biking / ski towns hours only after lifts close
"I believe some High Velocity, Low Amplitude treatments are indicated. Will that be cash or card?"

Hard nope.

I love my school from the bottom of my heart.

Except for the part where our OMM professors told us that we can perceive micrometer differences and should be able to "feel red blood cells". How you're supposed to differentiate objects significantly smaller than the neurons perceiving it is beyond me.
Also, cranial bones don't f****** move, but that's okay. It's okay. We're all okay.

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
Also, cranial bones don't f****** move, but that's okay. It's okay. We're all okay.

Oh ye of little faith

Clearly you simply haven't sat long enough with thine digits in the vault hold to feel the subtle motion of the cranial bones rotating on their axises. Or that could just be your own pulse flying through your finger tips but whose really keeping track amirite?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Oh ye of little faith

Clearly you simply haven't sat long enough with thine digits in the vault hold to feel the subtle motion of the cranial bones rotating on their axises. Or that could just be your own pulse flying through your finger tips but whose really keeping track amirite?

I sat in the vault hold long enough to fall asleep.

Reactions: 2 users
I started med school in 2009 (PCOM). I've been in practice for just over 3 years (FM). In that time I have had no regrets about my training. In my relatively short career I've received a "Star" Award, made it to the lead-level of the office, serve as a faculty member and will soon be starting a robust leadership experience. The degree has not limited me one bit. Most of the patients I have seen have had no qualms about seeing me, their reviews back this up.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Absolutely. So much utter nonsensical pseudoscience in OMM its baffling. We're being taught that omm can heal gastritis ffs.

I suspect @sb247 is a PGY2 FM resident... Waiting to be a PGY3 so he can sign that 250k/year contract with 25k sign-on bonus :p ...

This DO thing allowed me to be an orthopedic surgeon, so can’t complain too much.
I think SDN exaggerates that DO thing. I am a MD and have colleagues that are DO and no one gives a cr...p

I think SDN exaggerates that DO thing. I am a MD and have colleagues that are DO and no one gives a cr...p
The Nephrologist I work for has not discouraged me in the slightest from wanting to apply mostly DO. He is an MD, also. I think the stigma arises from people who just want to see a huge difference when there is none.

Somewhere in Manhattan there's A meattornado absolutely losing his cool right now.

• Haha
How did being in a DO program compare to what you had expected before you matriculated? Was it better or worse? And what aspects surprised you most in a positive /negative way? Thanks !

I knew med school was hard (this is my forth day of OMS-1) at KCU, but I did not think it would be like this. So I guess the biggest surprise at being a DO is not even the OMM. It's not even bad tbh, 1 hour lecture with 2 hour lab per week. But, the course load right now for the biochem and immuno (finish all in 4 weeks) is kicking everybody's ass. Yesterday for the first time in my life, as I was going to get lunch I thought, I cannot spend more than 1 hour getting lunch because I will not have enough time to reasonably get through the material for today so I do not fall back behind tomorrow.

Oh ye of little faith

This just sounds like you are trying to use the Force... if OMM training led to full mastery of the Force I'm pretty sure DO would be vastly superior to MD

My school, like a lot of DO schools, has a strong mission to train primary care physicians. They didn’t exactly encourage me pursuing surgery, but they also didn’t stop me. Just know the school you’re going to, it’ll be fine.

2017 graduate from DO school. No regrets. Definitely creates certain barriers that MDs don't have to deal with so if you're accepted to a USMD school I suggest you go there automatically. But I wouldn't delay my education and forgo DO school just to get into an MD school.

I am quite plain without much excitement surrounding my background. No "calling" to medicine or anything like that. Just liked it and ran with it.

In any case, you don't have to have a special story to do a dang good job in school. No special stories required to be an excellent physician. I just try to learn my trade the best I can and treat my patients with the utmost respect. That's honestly what matters.

Reactions: 6 users
Why have I noticed a trend of all the strongest SDN carrib bashers (Goro, Isoval, sb247, Anatomygrey12) are all DO students as I read around? I just had to comment because here you guys are saying your route couldn't make you happier, yet it seems these type of forums bringing DO credibility to light or discussing Carrib schools where you get MDs are exactly the forums you guys are drawn to. Something isn't adding up. Either you're not as happy as you keep propagating you are, or there is a deep insecurity somewhere that needs to be resolved in other ways besides spreading hate and propaganda in an attempt to self-verify your own path and life decisions. Let's all accept what we do and act like doctors and stop hating on one another. Just an observation from someone who mostly reads forums and doesn't get involved.

Why have I noticed a trend of all the strongest SDN carrib bashers (Goro, Isoval, sb247, Anatomygrey12) are all DO students as I read around? I just had to comment because here you guys are saying your route couldn't make you happier, yet it seems these type of forums bringing DO credibility to light or discussing Carrib schools where you get MDs are exactly the forums you guys are drawn to. Something isn't adding up. Either you're not as happy as you keep propagating you are, or there is a deep insecurity somewhere that needs to be resolved in other ways besides spreading hate and propaganda in an attempt to self-verify your own path and life decisions. Let's all accept what we do and act like doctors and stop hating on one another. Just an observation from someone who mostly reads forums and doesn't get involved.
@Goro is not a student. They are Faculty Adcom at an osteopathic medical school . They are plain spoken and dispel rumors and misconceptions about osteopathic education and post graduate training. Please read their badge. Their direct and non sugar coated comments are sometime scary to students who have suffered from helicopter parenting. I dont think @Goro is insecure in any way. If you search the forum, you will discover excellent threads created by them for reinvention and medical school interviews

Reactions: 15 users

Apparently reading is hard for you.

• Haha

They’re mentioning USMD, not carib. Carib MD’s are not the same and everyone knows the DO route is better than the Carib MD. USMD opens more doors than DO, and that is a fact. They’re DO’s or associated with a DO school and shed light on their own education and experiences, but also the drawbacks.

Either way, talking about it doesn’t make them insecure. Carib is a bad option.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
ciestar I see you haven't even started medical school yet to be making such comments. Well i'll tell you that a carrib MD is no different from a US MD once you finish your training, neither is an MD from india, china, bangladesh or anywhere else. It only creates difficulty getting to that point. In about 9 years when you're done and not so naive you'll see as you'll be working right side by side with foreign trained MD's and feel free to keep talking down then when you know more and let me know how that goes. My post is from reading many forums not just in reference to this one, why else would I be discussing "strong carrib bashers" in reference to just one post, which isn't even about the Caribbean?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
ciestar I see you haven't even started medical school yet to be making such comments. Well i'll tell you that a carrib MD is no different from a US MD once you finish your training, neither is an MD from india, china, bangladesh or anywhere else. It only creates difficulty getting to that point. In about 9 years when you're done and not so naive you'll see as you'll be working right side by side with foreign trained MD's and feel free to keep talking down then when you know more and let me know how that goes. My post is from reading many forums not just in reference to this one, why else would I be discussing "strong carrib bashers" in reference to just one post, which isn't even about the Caribbean?

1565965141038.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Could have sworn it was a premed from the syntax and the type of stuff he's been posting around, Lol him being an MS4 is even worse then if you ask me.

That isn’t what i meant. Once in practice, no, no difference. It is getting there that makes a huge difference.

Could have sworn it was a premed from the syntax and the type of stuff he's been posting around, Lol him being an MS4 is even worse then if you ask me.

Im an it and he. Gee, thanks.

Man I'm not even applying to medical school, but I love coming to these forums with some popcorn.

Anyways, I'm not here to start a big argument. It's just what is literally spammed on these forums by a vocal minority of members on a constant basis seems to have some ulterior motive besides "protecting students" at times which I'm sure even others have picked up on. I appreciate any advice that was made to students that came out of a place of genuinity, which is great, but I question many others. It gives SDN a bad name and the hard working physicians and colleagues that come from those schools a bad name as well. A lot of the information spread here comes from a place of ignorance as none of these "bashers" have actually been through the carib process at a big 3 school, yet here they are posting the most about them. Speaking to an actual alumni is the best way to get information, which seems to be forgotten in these comments from people. It's gotten to the point where people think it's literally someone that works for the school when something positive is posted, which is absolutely terrible. Here's an example of a post from an SGU graduate I saw today on a recent forum which is more accurate. Anyways I'm going to try to get out of here as I prefer to stay back because SDN is a volatile place.

Caribbean grad here from SGU who matched into emergency medicine at a pretty good program. I'm gonna throw in my two cents regarding matching from a Caribbean school, particularly into EM and then Ross vs SGU at the bottom. *Ended up being a lot more than two cents, sorry for the long post* If anyone wants to talk to me personally about SGU or matching EM, shoot me a PM and we can chat.

First off, don't listen to people on SDN. Most people base their opinions on false information/misinterpretation of data and blogs written by the very few Caribbean students who did exceptionally poorly, nearly always because of their own poor study habits, who then go on to write things that are either blown way out of proportion or are outrageously false.

That being said, I'll be the first person to tell you that if you can get into a US med school, go for it. It's always the best option. But if you just can't get in and you're a person with good work ethic the Caribbean is a great option as long as you're not trying to go into something ultra competitive like neurosurgery, ophthalmology, dermatology, ortho etc.

And now I'll give my little spiel (with an emphasis on matching emergency medicine) that I give to students who have questions about Caribbean schools and matching (I volunteer as a mentor for SGU because there is soooo much false information out there).

Regarding matching from a Caribbean school. Residencies can essentially be broken down into three levels of competitiveness.

Low - specialties like psychiatry, family medicine, internal medicine, PMNR etc. From a Caribbean school you should have no problem matching into any of these fields. The reason being is that there are more spots available than there are people applying, therefore, programs aren't going to be very picky. The only people from the Caribbean that don't match are usually those with very subpar Step 1 scores, they're just weird, or some sort of red flag. Bottom line - if you plan on going into these specialties, I wouldn't worry about going to a Caribbean school.

Medium - emergency medicine, OBGYN, gen surg, etc. You are a bit of a disadvantage going to a Caribbean school for these specialties, but in my opinion, it's not a big disadvantage (may for gen surg, that's a tough one, but doable). Because these are more competitive, programs are looking for reasons to discriminate and whether or not they screen you out based on going to a Caribbean school is entirely dependent on the program director. Some really don't care, some do. So do your homework, find out which programs have taken Caribbean students in the past and apply there.

Side note about emergency medicine. Programs generally (not all) screen you based on your Step 1/2 score. If you hit their minimum score the next most important part of your applications are your SLOE's. Remember, EM is a team sport that requires a particular personality and whether or not you fit the bill will largely be determined by your SLOE. Killer step 1/2 score but average or subpar SLOE's? You're not gonna match. I asked program directors during my interviews what it was about my application that got me the interview (specifically so I can pass that on to people like you) and they all unanimously said it was my SLOEs (apparently I had really good SLOEs). I got a 248 on Step 1, not one person mentioned my step score, they didn't care. And I think, for the most part, the kind of person that goes into EM is the kind of person that really doesn't care if you went to a Caribbean school. They just want to make sure you're a cool person they can drink a beer with and that's willing to work hard. And I quote the APD during an interview, "You like to drink? Good. We expect our residents to be able to drink until 2am and come to work ready to rock and roll." I had 13 interviews (and I totally failed my standardized video interview, long story). My girlfriend got a 240 on step 1, no research, no extracurriculars, stellar SLOEs and got 16 interviews for EM. She had quite a few university program interviews to boot and successfully matched into EM. She also applied internal medicine for back up and got over 20 interviews, some of them at top notch university programs. All that is to say that you don't need to absolutely kill step 1 like everyone on SDN would have you believe. I'd say shoot for a 240+ (not that hard to obtain if you put in the work) and, presuming you do well on your EM rotations, you should be able to match EM.

High - Neurosurg, derm, ortho, ophtho, etc. If you have your heart set on one of these specialties, this is when I'll agree with everyone else and say you should try for a US school. Can you do it from a Caribbean school? Sure, but you better be in the top 0.1% of the nation in everything.

Regarding SGU vs. Ross. Both are good schools, both will get you where you want to go if you put in the work. As far as the match numbers they put up, be careful if you're planning on going into EM. Numbers that aren't reported, by either school, are how many people apply for EM vs how many people matched. I've talked to SGU about this, they simply aren't provided that data. But if 100 people applied and only 30 matched, that's not a very good match rate. So the best you can do is look at each school's match list and see how many people matched into EM. SGU usually matches around 30 per year, this year we matched a record high into EM at around 50 people. I can't say how many people applied, but anecdotally speaking it seemed like almost everyone I knew that applied for EM was able to match EM. Ross matched 24 into EM this year.

If you can, try to reach out to Ross graduates and get their opinion. Rumor and hearsay, so I say it cautiously, is that Ross doesn't setup your 3rd year clinical rotations, which can lead to a lot of headache, frustration, and in some cases completing some of your core rotations in 4th year. I don't if it's true, but I'd look into it.

Can't remember where I read this otherwise I'd post a link, but I remember reading that after DeVry bought out Ross they simply couldn't turn a profit and were hemorrhaging money. Might be worth looking into.

SGU is more expensive, but you get what you pay for ;) And I hear SGU has much more attractive students.

Lastly, gonna go on a rant about some rumors that bug me and get thrown around a lot (speaking only for SGU of course).

The attrition rate is not sky high. These rumored attrition rates of 30% are simply ridiculous from a common sense stand point. The school is a business and losing 30% of your business is not sustainable nor nearly as profitable. The real attrition rate is about 12% per officials. 4% drop out in the first semester for whatever reason (family member died, they changed their mind, can't handle the island etc), 4% fail out academically and 4% transfer to a US medschool after step 1. I double checked this with the roster for each class from the first semester to the last semester and the number I got seemed to match up with their report.

There are no "weeder" classes. If the school wants to weed people out they would grade classes on a curve, because grading on a curve is the best and most accurate way to weed people out. None of the classes are graded on a curve and the exams are all adjusted to have an average of roughly 80%. Hard to make a claim that a class is a weeder class when it's not on a curve and the average exam score is 75-80%.

At one point you did have to take an exam before you could take step 1, but honestly, if you failed that exam then you probably shouldn't be taking step 1 in the first place. The school was doing you a favor in my opinion. Anyways, they did away with that exam.