Registering for 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTapplicant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Besides doing my home Sub-i in ENT and aways, should I be worried about the "difficulty of coursework" as might be perceived by residency programs when signing up for fourth year elective rotations? For instance, I'm choosing between Endocrine Surgery and Autopsy Pathology for one block, while I think it would be cool to see some autopsies since I won't do stuff like that as a resident, I wonder if it would be "smarter" do do Endocrine Surgery as it may be perceived as a more rigorous and relevant course to ENT (thyroidectomies and parathyroidectomies).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Besides doing my home Sub-i in ENT and aways, should I be worried about the "difficulty of coursework" as might be perceived by residency programs when signing up for fourth year elective rotations? For instance, I'm choosing between Endocrine Surgery and Autopsy Pathology for one block, while I think it would be cool to see some autopsies since I won't do stuff like that as a resident, I wonder if it would be "smarter" do do Endocrine Surgery as it may be perceived as a more rigorous and relevant course to ENT (thyroidectomies and parathyroidectomies).

Thoughts?

You'll have 5 years of residency to learn how to do thyroid surgery. The whole point of M4 year in my opinion is to take a breather and enjoy a few interesting electives that you'd never get exposed to otherwise. If you're interested in autopsies, then go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Literally not a single person will care whether you did endocrine surgery or autopsy. Do some enjoyable things and take some chill courses.

^^^ Agree with the above.