4th Year Pursuing ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STAHNS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a fourth year who was exposed to the field of ENT in Dec/Jan and fell in love with it - unfortunately well after the deadline for applications.

My question was should I graduate in 2009 and do research next year and apply as an MD or try to take a leave of absence to do research and graduate in 2010 and apply with a student classification. Does it make a difference?

My grades and board scores are competitive and I have a research position lined up.

I could use any help I can get. Thanks ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

My thought would be to graduate because if you stay a student, you will continue to pay $$$ to be in school. I don't think either option would give an advantage over the other. My recommendation would be to talk to your dean and ENT faculty advisor ASAP to help you choose the best path forward. Good luck.

Hi All,

I am a fourth year who was exposed to the field of ENT in Dec/Jan and fell in love with it - unfortunately well after the deadline for applications.

My question was should I graduate in 2009 and do research next year and apply as an MD or try to take a leave of absence to do research and graduate in 2010 and apply with a student classification. Does it make a difference?

My grades and board scores are competitive and I have a research position lined up.

I could use any help I can get. Thanks ahead of time!

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the help.

I was just wondering if applying as a MD would be a negative factor for my application - I am not sure if the application process distinguishes foreign grad vs unmatched vs others in determining who gets an interview because once an interview is given, you would be able to further explain your application.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate all the help.

I was just wondering if applying as a MD would be a negative factor for my application - I am not sure if the application process distinguishes foreign grad vs unmatched vs others in determining who gets an interview because once an interview is given, you would be able to further explain your application.

I think you should take a leave of abscence.

I don't know about ENT, but in other fields programs look at independent candidates last. Statistically, you will have a better chance as a US Senior. Also, you'll be able to brush up on your clinical skills prior to residency and programs won't have to worry about you coming in cold.