Utility of Research Year between 3rd and 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud268

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what your opinions were of a research year between 3rd and 4th year. If I were to just apply, I think I would have about averagish numbers for applying regarding step(250s) and grades and maybe slightly above research(hope to have 6-7 papers published by September). Do you think it significantly improves one's chances of matching to do a research year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what your opinions were of a research year between 3rd and 4th year. If I were to just apply, I think I would have about averagish numbers for applying regarding step(250s) and grades and maybe slightly above research(hope to have 6-7 papers published by September). Do you think it significantly improves one's chances of matching to do a research year?

I'm fairly sure you are well above average for both Step 1 score (average for matched applicants is in low 240s) and your research experience. We don't know your grades or anything else about you, but based on what you've said, you sound like a solid applicant.

I would say there are 2 reasons to take a year off from med school for ENT research:
1. You are a below average applicant and wish to bolster your resume.
2. You like research and want to spend a year doing it.

For you, #1 does not sound like it is the case.

If #2 applies, my suggestion would be to apply for a 6 or 7 year program where there are built-in years for research. At least that way, you have already cleared the hump of matching into a residency, and you will be certain that you will be paid for your research work. Typically, the 7 year programs are also easier to match into, because most people don't want to spend 7 years in residency when they could spend 5.