Recorded Notes/Lectures

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people in college ever bring like a pocket audio recorder into lectures or regular class?

Just curious. For example, a prof could be doing a powerpoint in a lecture hall and talking while everyone is typing in the notes on their laptops. Wouldn't it be beneficial to focus on copying down the notes and recording the prof. talking? So that way you can go over the notes and actually pay attention to what your prof said?

Does this make sense?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, people do this all the time, but it's usually a good idea to get the professors permission first, some of them are really uptight about being recorded. Also, I've had some professors record the lecture themselves and put it on the website, that's always really helpful.

Do people in college ever bring like a pocket audio recorder into lectures or regular class?

Just curious. For example, a prof could be doing a powerpoint in a lecture hall and talking while everyone is typing in the notes on their laptops. Wouldn't it be beneficial to focus on copying down the notes and recording the prof. talking? So that way you can go over the notes and actually pay attention to what your prof said?

Does this make sense?

Chances are the professor is talking about whats on the powerpoint. So, if you just listen to what he/she is saying then you will get the main points that were covered on the powerpoint. Also, not everything a professor says is worth writing down in your notes. You will learn to pick up on what is important and what is not. You dont need to record verbatim everything that comes out of the profs mouth. One thing you can do tho is ask your professor if you can copy down the powerpoint slides before the lecture. I did that a few tmes before but then just learned how to take notes better during class and it became unnecessary. Ive never had a professor record a lecture and post it up later for the class to listen to. That being said, peope do record lectures. My friend got this sweet ass gift (im not sure where) but its this electronic note taking thing....It comes with a "pen" that only writes on this special pad of paper that goes along with the pen. Anything she "writes" on this paper she can immediately upload to her computer. The pen also has the ability to record...you can listen to it later at 2x speed or half the speed. You can also click any point in the notes on any page and the recorder will find that time and start replaying that point of the lecture. its probably the coolest thing ive ever seen. I was obsessed with it when i first found out what it was. Its really amusing to listen to your professors voices at 2x speed. They all sound like chipmunks, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)

Does this make sense?

I'm not quite sure about other schools, but many of my professors at Ohio State give the students their powerpoints online before the lecture so you can actually focus on what is being said rather than being busy writing everything down. There are the occasional chemistry professors who like to use the chalkboard, but you're writing everything in your notebook just as the instructor is writing on the board. You can't miss anything that way.

I have never taken a class where I was struggling to find a balance between writing the notes and the speech. They know that and you know that as well. If you do want to bring a recorder however, DEFINITELY let him/her know before hand, especially if you're in a small lecture where they can actually see you doing it. I had a chem lecturer that was especially anal about that. He almost kicked a girl out of his class because of it.

GO BUCKS!

Yeah, we got a full-blown twenty-minute lecture about how recording lectures is a violations of our First Amendment rights, in my Policital Science class. Definitely ask beforehand.

That being said, if you ask a professor, sometimes they'll be willing to email you the powerpoints/lecture outlines, and then if you print those out and take them to class, you just have to make notes on those. Very nice. If saves your wrist. :D

Chances are the professor is talking about whats on the powerpoint. So, if you just listen to what he/she is saying then you will get the main points that were covered on the powerpoint. Also, not everything a professor says is worth writing down in your notes. You will learn to pick up on what is important and what is not. You dont need to record verbatim everything that comes out of the profs mouth. One thing you can do tho is ask your professor if you can copy down the powerpoint slides before the lecture. I did that a few tmes before but then just learned how to take notes better during class and it became unnecessary. Ive never had a professor record a lecture and post it up later for the class to listen to. That being said, peope do record lectures. My friend got this sweet ass gift (im not sure where) but its this electronic note taking thing....It comes with a "pen" that only writes on this special pad of paper that goes along with the pen. Anything she "writes" on this paper she can immediately upload to her computer. The pen also has the ability to record...you can listen to it later at 2x speed or half the speed. You can also click any point in the notes on any page and the recorder will find that time and start replaying that point of the lecture. its probably the coolest thing ive ever seen. I was obsessed with it when i first found out what it was. Its really amusing to listen to your professors voices at 2x speed. They all sound like chipmunks, haha.

:D This helps. Yeah, I think I'll pick up that pen. It sounds like that is exactly what I need.

So, wait. It is illegal to record you prof? Why does it violate their rights?

No, it's not illegal. My prof just has strong beliefs about the thing--he has a similar rant about the Impending Doomsday Internet Lawsuit That Will Bring About The End Of Civilization As We Know It.

So, wait. It is illegal to record you prof? Why does it violate their rights?

Would you like it if someone recorded everything you said without knowing it? It's called manners. No matter if they can see you or not, ASK.

Would you like it if someone recorded everything you said without knowing it? It's called manners. No matter if they can see you or not, ASK.

I wouldn't care if I was a professor, I'd actually welcome it. I see where you are coming from though. I'll make sure I ask, even though theres no need to. I could just record using a laptop and plug in headphones later.

what if you ask, they say no, and you record stuff anyway? would they fail you or something?

also, could you take pictures of the powerpoint with your phone/ record lectures with your phone?

what if you ask, they say no, and you record stuff anyway? would they fail you or something?

also, could you take pictures of the powerpoint with your phone/ record lectures with your phone?

I would like to know this too.

Most often they simply give you the power point ahead of time on the class web site. And if the teacher finds you recording them after they've explicitly told you not to (and you don't book it out of there before they figure out who you are), you could be in some serious trouble with the school. I've done recordings before and they're really not all that worth the extra effort most of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't want to be "that guy" who records the lectures. A friend of mine says that a classmate records his professor with a camera from his laptop and he probably doesn't know why no one talks to him.

Either that or learn how to type faster. I can easily type 110 words per minute with my extensive auto-correct in Microsoft Words. 80 words per minute without any mistakes.

But in computer applications class, I was "that guy" for finishing all the typing assignments in less than half the time of anybody else. So get a quite keyboard.

The lecturer can and most likely will simply take you out of the class knowing you did that.

It's not that big of a deal to record every little thing the lecturer says. If they want to emphasize something, just pay attention. Like I said earlier, you'll get the powerpoint online in most classes so you can actually listen.

Honestly, if your professor expects you to write down the powerpoint slides, they probably won't have too much information such that you can't write it down and pay attention and take side notes too. Orrr, if there is a lot of text on the slides, many professors will put them online.

I would absolute hate these professors who don't use power point to teach. :mad::diebanana::beat::sendoff::shrug::caution:

I would absolute hate these professors who don't use power point to teach. :mad::diebanana::beat::sendoff::shrug::caution:

It's kind of hard to teach some courses with power point. I prefer blackboard teaching.

Like others have mentioned, a lot of professors put the slides up ahead of time, especially for most science classes. Chem classes do tend to use chalkboards, but like others said, you don't get behind writing stuff down because you are writing with them. I did have one professor that wasn't planning on posting the slides, for a non-science class, but people just asked him if he could, and he now posts them afterwards.

I have never heard of teachers being so particular about being recorded, thats kind of funny. Others are right though, I did record some lectures my sophomore year, and I never listened to them actually.

My friend got this sweet ass gift (im not sure where) but its this electronic note taking thing....It comes with a "pen" that only writes on this special pad of paper that goes along with the pen. Anything she "writes" on this paper she can immediately upload to her computer. The pen also has the ability to record...you can listen to it later at 2x speed or half the speed. You can also click any point in the notes on any page and the recorder will find that time and start replaying that point of the lecture. its probably the coolest thing ive ever seen. I was obsessed with it when i first found out what it was. Its really amusing to listen to your professors voices at 2x speed. They all sound like chipmunks, haha.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1chWA4y459U[/YOUTUBE]

Whoa! This thing is sweet.

I remember seeing something similar in Target that required special paper and could record voice at the same time you are writing. This thing is much better as you don't need the special paper and can see the thing simultaneously on the computer.

Still, I think you'll be labeled as "that guy" if you use on of them.

Just type fast, dammit!

Whoa! This thing is sweet.

I remember seeing something similar in Target that required special paper and could record voice at the same time you are writing. This thing is much better as you don't need the special paper and can see the thing simultaneously on the computer.

Still, I think you'll be labeled as "that guy" if you use on of them.

Just type fast, dammit!

A lot of people with laptops are "that guy" too. Just a warning lol. I prefer old school, paper and pencil.

It looks like you could just store them in the flash drive on the pen though and then no one would know you're being a techy.

You don't want to be "that guy" who records the lectures. A friend of mine says that a classmate records his professor with a camera from his laptop and he probably doesn't know why no one talks to him.

Either that or learn how to type faster. I can easily type 110 words per minute with my extensive auto-correct in Microsoft Words. 80 words per minute without any mistakes.

But in computer applications class, I was "that guy" for finishing all the typing assignments in less than half the time of anybody else. So get a quite keyboard.

Honestly, the only reason I ask is when it comes to taking notes in class and listening to the teacher talk, I just can't do it. I can't write down notes while the teacher is talking.

The pen thing sounds like a good idea I guess.

Hmm.

With Word 2008 for Mac in the Notebook layout you can record audio using your built -in microphone(little "Audio" button at the top). It makes it so you can go to certain places where you were typing and listen to what the professor said at that time. :thumbup:
I believe you can do something similar with a program thats bundled with the windows version of word but I wouldn't know.
Personally I never go back and listen to the recordings but every few lectures I record it...If I am really distracted or tired it helps.

You'll learn. It's a combination of zoning out when your professor starts talking about why LSU doesn't have to worry about Title IX and zoning in when he's telling you about how the Women's Rights Movement in the 70's created Title IX.

Honestly, the only reason I ask is when it comes to taking notes in class and listening to the teacher talk, I just can't do it. I can't write down notes while the teacher is talking.

The pen thing sounds like a good idea I guess.

Hmm.

You're going to need to learn how to multitask and listen while you write. :)

Not sure. I guess it's just something you pick up on. When you need to write notes and listen, you will do it. I never took notes until college so I'm not sure what advice to really give. You will find it comes easily once you get there.

I'm not good at multi-tasking either.

Is there any good ways to learn how to multi-task ? :oops:

Last edited:

No real secrets, just something that you start to learn for yourself, especially once you hit college. Highschool and college are just different animals. I don't remember taking a whole lot of notes in high school, or studying a whole lot for that matter..... just seemed like whatever you needed to learn or do was clearly laid out. In college that can be very different and if you haven't already learned how you "study" in high school (like me) then in college you'll start developing those skills and by trial and error figure out what works for you.

In undergrad if I took notes it was pen/paper. I had a laptop but didn't use it for notes. I enjoyed the freedom of paper, especially in the sciences where you may have to draw a pathway, chart, molecule, etc....

In med school I rarely take notes. There are so many resources (powerpoint lectures, review books, note services, that it can actually be overwhelming how many sources you have and it then becomes a skill to narrow it down to what sources work for you. At the most I'll highlight or just some notes down in the book.

It's very abstract so don't stress too much about the "mechanics" of how to study or take notes, or multitask. Yea, people will offer hints and what worked for them, but for the most part I'd say it's just something that you learn step by step along the way.

If the pen things looks interesting to you then give it a try. That's part of the process, trial and error. Actually, I think that's necessary as it's the only way you'll see if it helps you. For a while I was using Microsoft OneNote (a very neat program, can also record audio) but just never got to a point where it helped my studying, rather I was trying to change my habits and skills to fit the limits of the program.

Thats kind of a blanket statement. Its totally class depenent. And the youtube video you posted was similar to what i described but not the same. Same idea tho.

The thing at Target is a Pulse Smartpen, you can also get it at amazon. Runs $149 for 1 gig, $199 for 2 gig (Target sometimes gives free giftcards with it). The notebooks are around 3/$10 or you can print out the microdot paper it needs yourself. Here's a link to the demo video/specs:
http://www.livescribe.com/