Paper notes vs notability

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some more college input. So I’ve been thinking lately that I should invest in getting an IPad 2017 model 10.5 in. so I can take notes in college. I saw my friend carrying around an iPad Pro 2018 12.9 in and she was using it during calculus. I gotta admit, it was pretty sweet. So it got me into thinking, should I invest into an IPad 2017 10.5 in.? I do use a ton of paper for practice problems, and it would be nice to have everything in one place digitally. Also since the iPad 2017 10.5 in is $500, it won’t break my bank. I was considering the 2018 11 in. but $200 extra makes me feel ehhhh.... I’d rather save that money for books and what not. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You need few books tbh. I started college with paper notes and it was very difficult to keep track of everything. I would suggest a decent laptop with a keyboard and OneNote. Writing may work well, but it will become very time consuming.

With OneNote you can compile all your slides, type notes, write/draw, and search through them with a search bar (that will even register and search for words you wrote). It also syncs across devices so I can look at the notes on my phone if I wanted to study them elsewhere.

So I'm very old fashioned notes wise and I usually had a notebook per class where I would add extra notes or do practice problems. It really will depend what is more conducive to your studying regime. However, like Gilakend mentioned, OneNote can compile your notes across many devices which could be helpful in your case.

Hey guys, I need some more college input. So I’ve been thinking lately that I should invest in getting an IPad 2017 model 10.5 in. so I can take notes in college. I saw my friend carrying around an iPad Pro 2018 12.9 in and she was using it during calculus. I gotta admit, it was pretty sweet. So it got me into thinking, should I invest into an IPad 2017 10.5 in.? I do use a ton of paper for practice problems, and it would be nice to have everything in one place digitally. Also since the iPad 2017 10.5 in is $500, it won’t break my bank. I was considering the 2018 11 in. but $200 extra makes me feel ehhhh.... I’d rather save that money for books and what not. What are your thoughts?

I would recommend borrowing one and trying it out for a while to see if it really suits your needs. Sometimes you may not even need to take notes if the lectures are recorded and available on YouTube (such as in my classes).