Really need help in decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm really having trouble deciding between Optometry and Physical Therapy. Let me start by saying that if there's a different part of the forum that this question should be posted and can be better addressed, please let me know.

That being said, I just got a new job at a PT office as an aide, so I'm hoping the experience there will help me decide. I've only worked a few days and I like it, but I guess I can't tell too much yet. I also went to shadow an Optometrist for the first time last week, and liked that too. I'm going again to ask more questions and hopefully learn a little more. Both have their pros and cons in my eyes, but there are some questions that I'm hoping people in the field can answer for me.

Is it totally unreasonable to think that I can have my own practice in Optometry (or Physical Therapy) with normal working hours, meaning without having to work nights, weekends, or holidays?

What is the most stable specialty in Optometry (i.e. most in demand and/or job security)? I heard of something called sports vision but I don't know much about it. It just sounded intriguing, being a sports guy.

Even though I don't know what field I want to pursue yet, should I still apply to take the OAT?

How much shadowing is recommended to do in order to really get a feel for the job?

With regards to high student loans and opening your own practice, how long does it take once you graduate to really start making good money?

Thanks a lot for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about PT, so I can only help with optometry.

I don't think its unreasonable to think you can own your own practice with all the benefits that come with it. I have worked in a private practice located in a pretty saturated market for a little over a year now. The Dr. comes in at 8:30, takes an hour lunch, and is usually out of the office at 6:30 (last patient goes in at 5 and he stays with his wife to do the business side of things sometimes). He works Saturday mornings, but takes off Monday afternoons instead. After 14 years in practice, he is probably taking home a nice six figure income. We close down for all holidays including labor day, memorial day...all the ones you are out of school for, we close for.

I think as far as a specialty goes, you have to look at the market you are serving. If you are living in a rural area with an older population, then sports vision probably isn't going to be bringing in much business for you. On the other hand, in a larger city with a number of general practitioners, then you want to present your more advanced skills in one area of optometry.

As far as taking the OAT, that really depends on what phase of your education you are in. If you are a senior in college and want to start optometry school next fall, then yes you should register to and take the test as soon as you feel confident that you will do your best. On the other hand, if you are in your second or third year of college and don't plan on attending optometry school until after graduation, then I would hold off on the test.

I think you as an individual are the only one that can quantify the amount of hours you need to spend in one profession vs. another to figure out what it is that you want to dedicate your life to doing. They are both great professions, but like you said, have their own pros and cons.

Money wise, it depends on the kind of baggage you with you from your undergrad, where you go to school, and how you live while a student. The famous saying goes "live like a student now so you can live like a doctor later" and not like a doctor now so you can live like a student forever. According to the opted.edu site tuition ranges from 10,000 to 43000 USD a year, depending on school choice and residency. So you have to make that decision for yourself. I am probably wrong on this one, but I believe most student loans are 10 year loans, but the average income for all optometrists is $105,000 a year..so you can figure out what is left in your pocket after that.

Good luck with whichever you choose to do!!

Thanks a lot for that information. I'm leaning towards Optometry right now, even though my life has geared me more towards interest in physical fitness. The reason Optometry stands out is because the hours seem like the could and would be better, the pay is definitely in most cases better, and it's still helping people and using my knowledge. If I do go, I would go to SUNY, and since I'm not a resident it's going to be around $27,000 per year, probably increasing a bit each year. That equates to about $110,000 plus my undergrad which will be about $20,000. With $130,000 in loans, do you think it would take a long time to actually start really bringing in money that I will actually keep?

Still looking for more opinions on both fields also. Thanks!