Real esperiences!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGarfield

Fat Cat of the house
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please write about some of your good/ bad/ inspiring/ funny/ mysterical/ ANY experiences in your life??

Members don't see this ad.

One Saturday morning, I was going from wards to the canteen after the rounds, when a young boy of about 10 yrs. age came to me and asked

“Do you have a change??” He showed a 5 rupees coin to me.

I said no, as I usually don’t carry my wallet to the wards.

He asked further, “do you have one rupee coin only by any chance???”

I again checked my pockets for any chance of a coin but finding nothing, I asked “what’s the matter? Why do you need a coin?”

He said “my mother has been admitted and I need to call to my home. Nobody knows at home about this!”

I asked “who’s there in the home?”

He said, “My sister must be there”.

I asked, “Your dad?”

He said, “He’s dead”.

I felt sorry for him and said OK, let me help you and I pulled out my mobile phone from my pocket, and asked him to tell me the number, but he denied,

“No, I don’t want to call from mobile.”

I asked why,

He said “just”.

“I just want to help you”, I insisted.

“No, this costs more!” he said.

I said “OK I’m not going to take money for the call from you”

He said OK and then gave me a number.

I called the number, but there was no reply. I told him so. The kid was a little disappointed, but then said

“OK I’ll call later. May be my sister is in the ward with mommy!!” this sounded a little stupid to me.

At about 7 in the evening the same day, I was in the wards lobby just opposite my ward C1, talking to a man, husband of one of the patients, when I overheard “Uncle, do you have change??” I turned around and saw the same boy with the same 5 rupees coin in the hand asking to some man.

“Hey, what happened, you’re not done through it yet?” I asked.

He saw me and ran away.

The man to whom I was talking started laughing. I could not understand anything, and then he said “did he ask for change, for some phone?”

I said yes.

He said, “He’s a patient himself, admitted in the E1 pediatric psychiatry ward, and he does this all the day. Asks for change from all the people and collects change. Who would take a 5 rupees coin from a kid with such a reason? He usually gets away with single rupee coins and keeps showing the same 5 rupees coin to everybody.

People have role models in their life.

Some medical students have rock stars and movie stars as their role models. I have seen people in sdn having Bono or Britney as their idols. It depends on personalities whom you admire most because of their achievements and your interest.
When i was a medstudent i had some people as my role models and wanted to be like them.
like that famous south african open heart surgeon Professor Christiaan barnard, that famous russian orthopedic surgeon Professor Iliazrov, my dad was also my role model and another top orthopedic surgeon in madras who is considered as father of modern orthopedics in india. He has the biggest orthopedic hospital catering patients all over asia and middle east. I had the opportunity to work with thim for few months after my internship. This guy is a hardworking, dynamic and contankarous orthopedic surgeon who gave me the inspiration for success. He was born as a son of an ordinary teacher who became a very successful surgeon and multimillionaire because of his surgical skills and business savviness.

Some small things happened in your life will stick forever. I do remember some petty things happened in middle school, high school and medschool. But, this trivial incident which happened while working with this surgeon will stay with me for a very long time.

I was very excited when i got the oppurtunity to work with him immediately after my internship. He was my hero. I hope you guys will understand the feeling when you become a doctor from a medstudent. it is a great feeling! You feel like you know everything. people look at you differently when you become a wholesome doctor. nurses respect you and patients treat you like god (only in india). That was the first week of my job. I was in the operating room with this surgeon.

He asked me to bring the next case from the inpatient floor to the OR. I immediately went to the floor looking for the patient. Patient was all set and ready to go the OR. There was a stretcher outside the room. I could not find any porter or hospital orderly to transfer the patient.
I waited for few minutes.
still no one came.
few mins became 10 minutes.
I did not know what to do.

I saw the surgeon coming from the OR to the patient room. He asked me what is going on and the reason for the delay. I told him that i am waiting for an orderly.
He did not say a word.
He quietly went near the patient and informed about going to OR. He brought the stretcher from outside the room, started slowly transfering the patient by himself and then pushing the stretcher to the OR swiftly. I was standing there like a ***** without helping him and started running behind his heels unable to cope with his speed. The patients family and others in the corridor were amazed watching a great surgeon who is pushing his patient in stretcher like an orderly.

After the case was over, he told me that " First, you have to learn to push the stretcher and then you can learn about operating skills on patients. Everything should start from basics and no job is too low for a physician".

That words has stuck with me forever. He taught me a lesson on that day abt patient care. If you are an intern in america, you have to do everything. I had never felt lowly about pushing stretchers after this incident. and i will never feel bad again. I could push stretchers like driving a race car. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey NY- You gotta do Residency at the Civil hospital Ahmedabad- there we have to do everything- pulling the stretchers, shooting the x-rays and developing them by self, making up the instruments drum for ot and what not!! ha ha

and by the way- can you please name this great surgeon from Chennai you are talkin about?

One of my friends saw a sitar video of me, and he liked it. For some reason we started talking about marriages and stuff (I know big leap!), and he said he wanted me to play at his wedding. I was really shocked, because I thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. I then told him "listen, I only play for poeple who are serious about music and respect the performer (whether it be dance, etc.). I will not play at a big event, only to be humiliated by aunites/uncles talking during my performance OR little kids screaming and running about". He then told me, "Don't worry, that is exactly why I am not inviting 90% of my family". So I am scheduled to perform at his wedding, approximately 12 years from now.

:laugh:

sunny123 said:
One of my friends saw a sitar video of me, and he liked it. For some reason we started talking about marriages and stuff (I know big leap!), and he said he wanted me to play at his wedding. I was really shocked, because I thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious. I then told him "listen, I only play for poeple who are serious about music and respect the performer (whether it be dance, etc.). I will not play at a big event, only to be humiliated by aunites/uncles talking during my performance OR little kids screaming and running about". He then told me, "Don't worry, that is exactly why I am not inviting 90% of my family". So I am scheduled to perform at his wedding, approximately 12 years from now.

:laugh: :thumbup: :laugh:

sunny123 said:

ha ha- Good! all the best!

sunny123 said:

sunny
I will select you as the Music Director for my next Production :laugh:
I hope you will bless my upcoming movie with your Melodious Music :laugh:
sitar.gif
musical_notes.gif

Lol :laugh: Glad everyone enjoyed it. And Nimesh, I'll be glad to take on the role as Music Director.

a patient came to OPD and said he had a pain in his right thigh. my junior saw him and found nothing clinically, there was no history of trauma or any other constitutinal symptoms or related complaints and the pain was quite vague in nature. he gave him Ibuprofen(That's the Prasaadi of the Orthopedic Vibhag--we give it to all the faithful visitors) and sent him home.

the very next OPD he came back and came to sir's (Chief´s) office and there he said that he had pain but more that he was scared.

he said his father died at age 46, he had a pain in leg and died suddenly,

his elder brother had some body pain at the age 46 and he died, undiagnosed.

now he was 46

and he was having pain in the right thigh............

he literally pleaded to sir, "please admit me"

sir said OK and we admitted the patient. clinically he had two lipomas on the thigh and then we took x rays that showed some unexplained sclerosis in the shaft of the femur, which sir thought was not significant, but as the patient was so damn eager to get some TREATMENT we advised him an MRI of the thigh. He had to take a date for the investigation at the civil hospital MRI centre,which came out to be at about 15-20 days later.

he said he couldn't wait that long for the test and would like to go to a private MRI centre to get it done early, we said itis ok with us, so he left for the private radiology centre for MRI, came back in the evening, told us that he would get the plates and reports the next morning.

he died of sudden cardiac arrest that night!! and so fast from the onset of any discomfort that no boldy reached to treat him.

Once upon a time in india there lived an arrogant professor of surgery. He was equally famous for his surgical skills and bad temper. Medical students, residents, nurses and his colleques respected him for his power and authority.

This surgeon had all traits of a real surgeon.
Eagles eyes.
Ladies fingers.
Lions heart.
and
mean mind.

He was always a terrorist in the operating room. Everyone loved watching his surgical skills but no one could stand his bad temper. He was a perfectionist and he could never tolerate even minor mistakes done by scrub nurses or his surgical assistants who are his residents. If a resident who is assisting him makes any wrong moves or passes him the wrong instruments during the procedure, he will knock his resident knuckles with a strong blow with whatever instrument in his hands at that time. People have experienced bruises because of this beating from him.

There was no surgical trainee who has graduated without scars in his/her knuckles by his abuse. This historical abuse was a known fact to everyone and people came to training in that program with accepted risk. No one could do anything about this issue. This professor believed in hard learning like military training.

There came a new resident to his program. This guy was different. He took no shi$ from anyone.
This new resident did not get a chance to scrub with his chief for the first week. In the second week, he got a chance to scrub with his professor for a major case. Both of them scrubbed and case went smoothly for first 15 minutes.

OR was very quiet.
16th minute.....

This resident made a very small mistake like passing a forceps instead of scissor. Lion started yelling and knocked this poor resident's knuckle with passed forceps.
scrub nurses were watching the tense situation which was not unfamiliar to them.
but, something happened that day which was very different.
This resident grabbed the forceps from the professor immediately and hit him back with the same forceps hardly on his knuckles. tit for tat.

OR nurses were stunned.
They could hear the OR clock ticking...

Surgeon paused for a moment with a flash of fear in his eyes and then continued operating.
resident continued assisting the procedure.
There was no conversation or yelling occured during that case after that tense situation.
and also no one ever heard about that professor hitting any surgical trainee with a forceps after that particular day.
People thought old lion has lost his vigor. but, only few people who were in the OR that day knew the real reason. :laugh:

Some people are born surgeons and born heros.

Ha Ha- I love that guy!! He sure didn´t get any good references thuough!!!!!

And ya- that is the Prototype of Chief Surgeon/ Surgery Professors here in India!! The one at my place would throw instruments he didn´t like across the OR!

DrGarfield said:

And ya- that is the Prototype of Chief Surgeon/ Surgery Professors here in India!! The one at my place would throw instruments he didn´t like across the OR!
WOW :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
DrGarfield said:

Nah! I did not ask for any references from him. :cool:

Dr.G - I really dont know what kind of experiences you are asking for in this thread. medically related or general life experiences? I have so many experiences in my life which have either taught me good and bad things and made me a wiser person. I dont want to write everything here and take over your thread. May be i will add one more medical experience which could help some medstudents here.

Every doctor or medstudent knows that history taking and clinical examination are the most important weapons in clinical diagnosis. we can come to diagnostic conclusion with thorough history taking if you interview the patient like sherlcok holmes. but, you need evidence with your clinical exam details to prove your theory.

I have seen some medstudents and doctors examining their patients. Patient will enter the exam room fully dressed with two shirts, sweater and jacket. They would have examined the patient completely without touching the patient, taking off any clothes and not removing the shoes. It is really a magic to examine a patient just with your scanning eyes. I vividly remember an incident in medschool which taught me a lesson about thorough clinical exam.

During my third year in clinical rotation, i was assigned to present this case to my professor of clinical medicine.

A 40 year old healthy patient came with pain and swelling in his little finger which was bothering him for quite some time. He did not have any other complaints and his complete history was staright forward. I just checked his pulse, put my stethoscope on his chest and completed a very superficial exam and could not wait to present an easy case. I thought i am gonna impress my professor that day.

My professor came to examination room after giving me 30 minutes of oppurtunity. I started presenting my case. He listened very carefully. Then, he asked me about clinical exam. I replied to him as normal exam. I gave my diagnosis as sprain of little finger.

He asked, " Did you examine this guy?"

I said, "Yes!" (which was a lie)

Then he stood up and asked the patient to undress completely with just underwear on. There was a BIG 6cmx 6cm dark pigmented skin lesion sitting over his left thigh. The diagnosis was eventually malignant melanoma with secondries to his little finger.

From that day in my medschool i have not done one clinical exam without stripping a patient in whole. No clinical examination is complete without a thorough clinal exam. I learnt a lesson that day. :)

newyorker said:
Nah! I did not ask for any references from him. :cool:

Dr.G - I really dont know what kind of experiences you are asking for in this thread. medically related or general life experiences? I have so many experiences in my life which have either taught me good and bad things and made me a wiser person. I dont want to write everything here and take over your thread. May be i will add one more medical experience which could help some medstudents here.

Every doctor or medstudent knows that history taking and clinical examination are the most important weapons in clinical diagnosis. we can come to diagnostic conclusion with thorough history taking if you interview the patient like sherlcok holmes. but, you need evidence with your clinical exam details to prove your theory.

I have seen some medstudents and doctors examining their patients. Patient will enter the exam room fully dressed with two shirts, sweater and jacket. They would have examined the patient completely without touching the patient, taking off any clothes and not removing the shoes. It is really a magic to examine a patient just with your scanning eyes. I vividly remember an incident in medschool which taught me a lesson about thorough clinical exam.

During my third year in clinical rotation, i was assigned to present this case to my professor of clinical medicine.

A 40 year old healthy patient came with pain and swelling in his little finger which was bothering him for quite some time. He did not have any other complaints and his complete history was staright forward. I just checked his pulse, put my stethoscope on his chest and completed a very superficial exam and could not wait to present an easy case. I thought i am gonna impress my professor that day.

My professor came to examination room after giving me 30 minutes of oppurtunity. I started presenting my case. He listened very carefully. Then, he asked me about clinical exam. I replied to him as normal exam. I gave my diagnosis as sprain of little finger.

He asked, " Did you examine this guy?"

I said, "Yes!" (which was a lie)

Then he stood up and asked the patient to undress completely with just underwear on. There was a BIG 6cmx 6cm dark pigmented skin lesion sitting over his left thigh. The diagnosis was eventually malignant melanoma with secondries to his little finger.

PHP:
From that day in my medschool i have not done one clinical exam without stripping a patient in whole. No clinical examination is complete without a thorough clinal exam. I learnt a lesson that day.
:)

newyorker
I can imagine the picture of your clinic
should be something like this!! Isn't it???

mno0018l1.JPG

Hey NYer, you can write about any experience that is either Instructive or Dramatic enough to share- Medical preferred but non- medicals welcome!

And write as much as you wish- There is nothing like Overtaking- or like My thread! A thread is not a thread if everyone doesn´t write in it!!!

This is one of my most memorable bitter-sweet experience which i posted in SDN in 2002. read on....

2002--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was on call yesterday.

A new patient was admitted to my service yesterday.She is a 85 year old woman came to my floor as new admission.I had some info about her that she is mother-in-law of CEO of the hospital.As a resident on call I went to interview her and do the admission.After initial introduction, I asked her permission to do my history & physical exam.She refused for that and said that she had her own private doctor to examine her.I stressed that it is my duty to examine and order the management for her.She bluntly refused.A nurse was accompanying me at that time.

I left the room and called my attending to inform her about the situation.She replied to me to inform the patient that it is the hospital regulation to have the admission performed by a resident.

After I hung up the phone the nurse blocked me from re-entering the room and asked me not to pursue with the admission. She hesitantly broke the news that patient passed racial comments and did not want to be examined by a doctor of brown color.

I was stunned.Tears nearly appeared in my eyes.I felt very small.Afer some difficult moments i composed myself.

I re-entered the room and re-introduced myself and asked that lady why she did not want to be examined by me.I politely and point-blankely asked her whether my color,nationality or race is the reason.
I also said to her that I am the resident on call that night...if unfortunately she develops any medical condition like cardiac arrest I am the only doctor available to save her and her private physicians cannot reach in time to save her.(She had all the medical problems in the world)
She did not expect this kind of response from me.She denied everything and still did not want to be examined.

Finally,My attending came with me to convince her and make sure that I examined that lady.I tried to convince myself that it is not a racistic behavior..it is due to her postoperative confusion or due to medications etc.My attending also convinced me with the same reasons.This incident made me very sad . my friendly American nursing and paranursing colleques who came to know about the incident also felt bitter.

This morning when I rounded with my attending to that same lady she had not changed a bit. She did not even look at me. I left her room unhappily.

Then I enterd the next room to see another patient who was ready to be discharged today.He is also white American.He is not a VIP.He is an ordinary New York American.He thanked profusely and hugged me for my care during his stay in the hospital.He appreciated my sincerity.His wife and family shook my hands and gave a small gift to me with a card as a token of appreciation .I could not resist the temptation to open that gift package.I opened that gift in front of them.

A beautiful neck tie with American flag and statue of liberty picture was smiling at me.
Sadness in my heart was replaced by unmeasurable joy.

Then,I realised America cannot be judged by a single person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

newyorker said:
This is one of my most memorable bitter-sweet experience which i posted in SDN in 2002. read on....

2002--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was on call yesterday.

A new patient was admitted to my service yesterday.She is a 85 year old woman came to my floor as new admission.I had some info about her that she is mother-in-law of CEO of the hospital.As a resident on call I went to interview her and do the admission.After initial introduction, I asked her permission to do my history & physical exam.She refused for that and said that she had her own private doctor to examine her.I stressed that it is my duty to examine and order the management for her.She bluntly refused.A nurse was accompanying me at that time.

I left the room and called my attending to inform her about the situation.She replied to me to inform the patient that it is the hospital regulation to have the admission performed by a resident.

After I hung up the phone the nurse blocked me from re-entering the room and asked me not to pursue with the admission.He hesitantly broke the news that she passed racial comments and did not want to be examined by a doctor of brown color.

I was stunned.Tears nearly appeared in my eyes.I felt very small.Afer some difficult I composed myself.

I re-entered the room and re-introduced myself and asked that lady why she did not want to be examined by me.I politely and point-blankely asked her whether my color,nationality or race is the reason.
I also said to her that I am the resident on call that night...if unfortunately she develops any medical condition like cardiac arrest I am the only doctor available to save her and her private physicians cannot reach in time to save her.(She had all the medical problems in the world)
She did not expect this kind of response from me.She denied everything and still did not want to be examined.

Finally,My attending came with me to convince her and make sure that I examined that lady.I tried to convince myself that it is not a racistic behavior..it is due to her postoperative confusion or due to medications etc.My attending also convinced me with the same reasons.This incident made me very sad . my friendly American nursing and paranursing colleques who came to know about the incident also felt bitter.

This morning when I rounded with my attending to that same lady she had not changed a bit. She did not even look at me. I left her room unhappily.

Then I enterd the next room to see another patient who was ready to be discharged today.He is also white American.He is not a VIP.He is an ordinary New York American.He thanked profusely and hugged me for my care during his stay in the hospital.He appreciated my sincerity.His wife and family shook my hands and gave a small gift to me with a card as a token of appreciation .I could not resist the temptation to open that gift package.I opened that gift in front of them.

A beautiful neck tie with American flag and statue of liberty picture was smiling at me.
Sadness in my heart was replaced by unmeasurable joy.

Then,I realised America cannot be judged by a single person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
great story Newyorker
clapclapclap.gif

I have the same tie
Was it something like this??
yhst-43916179615676_1840_48382316.gif

NY'er, that post wasn't gobor, very interesting.

sunny123 said:
NY'er, that post wasn't gobor, very interesting.

Dont worry man. gobor is coming soon. :laugh: :laugh:
NYer is not gonna disappoint sunny.

A lot of patients from the Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad come to Civil Hospital for treatment- a large majority of them comes there without any particular disease or ailment- it´s just a reason for them to come outside of the jail environment, they sometimes fix times with their relatives outside so that they can come to hospital at that day and time and can bring them some home made food too- to be savoured while on the hospital campus- this all goes with- of course some Side income for the Policemen who accompany them.

A guy around of 30 years came to the our clinic one day- he had a Pedicle fixation implant of spine in his body which was placed around 4 years back when he was not in jail for an accidental injury. He said it discomforts him and he wanted it removed. I asked him what is the trouble it is causing him- as there was none clinically- he said he just wants it out! He was in there for last 3 months on a charge of attempted murder. Well, we all could understand that he just wanted it removed so that he can stay in the hospital for long time and get his relatives to meet and get some rest- but we were not there for deciding all that- the thing needed removal and we had to do the job! We admitted him- there are special prisoner wards in there.

On the 4th day of admission he was still not operated- i went to visit him and asked just by the way- " I see no relatives of yours coming to visit!" this made that tough as a nail looking guy break into sobbing like a kid. I was surprised to see him weeping like that- he kept on for a while and then said- "I asked these policemen to get them my message, but they don´t convey it to my family. They don´t even know that i am in a Hospital. I send them to my home which is not too far from here thrice, but they all come back without getting anyone along! I thought the bastards want money- I gave one a fifty rupees note i had and asked him to get a Rickshaw and bring someone from my home in it with him- but the guy may be got drunk on my money but didn´t ever bring my family to see me! these are all bastards!"

Well, I could not do anything but console him and went out- where the policemen are always on guard- I asked the constable who was in his charge about his status- he said, " Sir, this guy is so terribly missing his family and we are also feeling so sorry for him- I went to his home 3 times, told his people about his status and that he is in hospital waiting for a spine surgery- but all his relatives say that he is a murderer and they don´t want to see his face and that he is Dead for them all! I even went with the rickshaw and tried to coax his father and his wife to come but they would not! I don´t want to break his heart by telling him the words his family utterred for him, so I let him believe that we are not trying for him!"

I felt sorry for the poor guy- but in a couple of days he got the reality-may be from the cop- and then he said he doesn´t want the surgery anymore and went back to jail!

Crime doesn´t pay!

There are some unforgettable patients in my short medical career. But, this guy is one of my favorite unforgettable patient. I met him during my orthopedic internship in the same hospital in madras where i learnt to push the stretcher properly.

He was a young, handsome athlete who came to our clinic with acute lower back pain. He was in severe distress and crying like a baby accompanied by his pretty wife. This guy had that back pain for few days which he developed during one of his forceful competition. We gave him pain control, admitted him for further work up and imaging studies.

I was responsible for admitting him that day. During my thorough personal history taking i came to know that he was recently married like 2 months before that acute back pain started killing him. On further questioning about sexual history he started revealing the fact about his erectile dysfunction due to his recent onset back pain. He was in tears when giving that history to me. I could understand how painful would that be for a young, healthy athlete who was just married to a beautiful woman. I reassured him and left the room with heaviness in my heart.

On further imaging studies we found that guy had huge disc herniation ( reason for erectile dysfunction) and was a candidate for APLD ( automated percutaneous lumbar discectomy) which was done for the very first time in south india. The next day he was rolled into the OR.

I was the orthopedic intern who was an outstanding surgeon ( who stands outside the operating field and just watches the procedure being performed)
My chief and his senior assistant were busy performing the surgery and were excited to perform the new technique for the first time.

They went near the herniated disc and relieved the pressure.....at that moment everyone saw the eiffel tower rising from that patient's pelvic region. That was one of the huge penile erection i have ever seen in my life so far. The whole surgical team and nursing team were astonished. some nurses felt so jealous.

I felt whole heartedly happy for him and his beautiful wife. :)

Nimmy.. no illustrations please. :D

Ya- that is called Cauda Equina Syndrome and actually a percutaneous surgery is Contraindicated for that- It has to be an open Emergency procedure as the neurons need to be relieved within Optimally 6 hours of presentation and legally within 24 hours of presentation.

DrGarfield said:
Can you please write about some of your good/ bad/ inspiring/ funny/ mysterical/ ANY experiences in your life??
My dad once walked in on me while I was sniffing nail polish. I froze like a deer on a country highway. I was 16.

I've also done many stupid things while inebriated and they're all too embarassing to post here.
I hope this has been inspiring :)

^ Sniffing acetone huh?? Didn't you pass out? The commercial stuff must be less concentrated than the laboratory stuff.

sunny123 said:
^ Sniffing acetone huh?? Didn't you pass out? The commercial stuff must be less concentrated than the laboratory stuff.
lol I didn't think you could pass out from it... but it was a little euphoric. But luckily I got over my revlon addiction after that incident :)

Haha... euphoric... that's a nice way to put it :laugh:

BTW, is that the Indian version of the Queen mother in your avatar?

sunny123 said:
BTW, is that the Indian version of the Queen mother in your avatar?

hah I knew I'd get that... no, that's Hyacinth Bucket from the bbc show 'keeping up appearances'

Tinker Creek said:
lol I didn't think you could pass out from it... but it was a little euphoric. But luckily I got over my revlon addiction after that incident :)

Ya- in the laboratories you can find Purer forms now! ;) :p