Readmission after dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbitt55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So here is the situation..
I was dismissed in my fourth year of medical school for "academic" reasons 5 years ago, when In all reality it was secondary to drug/alcohol issues. I was doing great up until then. The school gave me chance after chance to come clean and seek help but I denied every chance.

Now here I am 5 years later with my life back together, clean and sober, and want to reapply for admission.

What are the chances/suggestions for the steps that I need to take to be readmitted?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If more information is needed I will be glad to give any.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I was dismissed in my fourth year of medical school for "academic" reasons 5 years ago, when In all reality it was secondary to drug/alcohol issues. I was doing great up until then. The school gave me chance after chance to come clean and seek help but I denied every chance.

Now here I am 5 years later with my life back together, clean and sober, and want to reapply for admission.

What are the chances/suggestions for the steps that I need to take to be readmitted?

Have you communicated with your prior school?

Do you know if board scores are good for that long? Do you have to retake step1/2?

Many schools do not consider previous matriculants.
Those that do will contact your previous school for the scoop. What are they likely to say?
Most students who have made it to the 4th year will be given the opportunity to withdraw before being dismissed. The fact that there was a dismissal is not positive.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

You'd be DOA at my school. Chances best at your own school. Contact the Dean.