Academic dismissal DO, Post Bacc or Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadow97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I messed up. failed 3 subjects in the first semester (one by 1 point) no other issues. was hoping they would let me repeat next year, but they dismissed me with admission to their medical master's program for Fall 2019. I appealed to the Dean but that's the option they gave me. I could not adjust my studying habits early in the semester, by the time I figured it out, it was too late. I have very good grades for tests in the later part of the semester. I have an excellent MCAT but very low GPA in Undergrad. Debating Caribbean big 4 or post bacc. any suggestions? If I do post bacc (not in that school) and retake MCAT (not really worried about it) would I get a fair consideration or am I better off just going to Big 4, if I can get in now.

Members don't see this ad.

Either go to their masters or find another career, sorry

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I messed up. failed 3 subjects in the first semester (one by 1 point) no other issues. was hoping they would let me repeat next year, but they dismissed me with admission to their medical master's program for Fall 2019. I appealed to the Dean but that's the option they gave me. I could not adjust my studying habits early in the semester, by the time I figured it out, it was too late. I have very good grades for tests in the later part of the semester. I have an excellent MCAT but very low GPA in Undergrad. Debating Caribbean big 4 or post bacc. any suggestions? If I do post bacc (not in that school) and retake MCAT (not really worried about it) would I get a fair consideration or am I better off just going to Big 4, if I can get in now.
Sorry shadow, I think that you've had your chance. Actually, you do have the chance to redeem yourself. Ace the master's program and then you're likely to get into another med school. This is better than being outright dismissed.

Whether you failed by 1 point or 50 is irrelevant. You failed to demonstrate minimum competency.

Going to the Carib is just asking to never be a doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
You might have to wait a few yeas going taking more classes and retaking the MCAT but it's possible.

You might have to wait a few yeas going taking more classes and retaking the MCAT but it's possible.

I tentatively agree, though I'm no expert.

Personally, I know two people who made it through medicine after failing hard: one was put on academic probation for a 1.0-ish GPA for one semester and another was formally dismissed from an institution for behavioral / academic reasons. They both made it through eventually - one even reaching radiology.

If they're giving you a chance to take their masters program and if successful, be readmitted, then JUMP at that chance.

If they're giving you a chance to take their masters program and if successful, agree to recommend you for other MD programs in TX, then I'd argue that's a chance you should also take.

Have you asked them explicitly what will happen if you do take their masters program and do X well? Y well? Z? And if so, what have they said?

Reactions: 5 users