Readmission after Dismissal and SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I hope you all are doing well. Was just dismissed from medical school earlier in June due to academics. I strongly feel that my mistakes are fixable and I would like another shot at medical school. I am wondering if readmission is possible if I were to:
  1. Retake my MCAT and get a higher score (on the old MCAT I got a 30)
  2. Do a special masters program
Anyone know of anyone in my circumstances that was able to gain readmittance?

Another question I have is, assuming I do get readmitted (I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, especially with how negative the outlook is on this forum when it comes to readmission), how bad would it affect residency match?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a letter of support from your Student Affairs Dean?
In a situation like this, it would really help.
If you don't submit one, you can bet that any school considering your application will contact the school to get the scoop. You need to know how your dismissal will be characterized since most students are not dismissed in the first year for purely academic reasons. They are allowed to remediate, sometimes with a leave of absence. Even when dismissal is considered, the student is usually allowed the opportunity to withdraw.

Have you contacted your school to ask them to re-consider you? How about their response to a re-application?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

So I actually received a financial aid exit package. I was looking at it today and it said that I had officially withdrawn from the institution around the end of May. Does that mean my leave from medical school is considered a withdrawal? And if so, what does that mean in terms of reapplication? I feel like schools would still look into it regardless, maybe contact my old school about what happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

So I actually received a financial aid exit package. I was looking at it today and it said that I had officially withdrawn from the institution around the end of May. Does that mean my leave from medical school is considered a withdrawal? And if so, what does that mean in terms of reapplication? I feel like schools would still look into it regardless, maybe contact my old school about what happened.
Students who are about to be dismissed are often given the option of withdrawing. You need to clarify whether your leaving was characterized as a dismissal or voluntary withdrawal.
Either way, your best chances at admission are at your original school.
If you apply to other schools, you can expect that your original school will be contacted if you do not have a letter of support from the dean of the original school in your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
You had your chance and now it's time for Plan B.

You'd be DOA at my school.

Hi all.

I hope you all are doing well. Was just dismissed from medical school earlier in June due to academics. I strongly feel that my mistakes are fixable and I would like another shot at medical school. I am wondering if readmission is possible if I were to:

Another question I have is, assuming I do get readmitted (I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, especially with how negative the outlook is on this forum when it comes to readmission), how bad would it affect residency match?

Hi all.

Did you appeal your dismissal?