Rc score 200

OPTICIAN21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone: I just finished taking the OAT and I cant believe I got a 200 on RC. The breakdown was bio 290, Gen Chem 320, Orgo 310, physics 310 QR 300. TS 310 AA 290 . I really don't know what to do. I was hoping to start this year. I found a thread on here with one other person having the same problem with the RC. If anyone has experienced something like this or close to it and has still has gotten accepted please leave me feedback. or if you heard of anyone getting in please let me know. any advice really would be appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I want all of you to know that I understand all of the concerns and red flags that may worry all of you. But just because i might of scored a 200 on my RC DOES NOT make me a ***** or less competent or even going to make me less of a knowledgeable doctor than any of you. :nono:
Nobody called you a *****. What we said is that a 200 is more than a "red flag." It is extremely compelling reason for a program to believe you will not succeed. As other stated before, if you get slightly better than "random guessing" you would have above a 200.

No one has the right to judge me when they don't even know my full academic profile. but since i started this thread in my defense i have graduated with semesters being on the deans list and i have taken 4 or more science rigorous classes which definitely shows i am ABLE to read and handle the load of work in optometry school. I have my own reasons not to take the OAT again and apply next year. I have been accepted to IAUPR because i did meet there AA OAT score and GPA requirements. So i got accepted legit.
And that is just it. I am not saying you personally shouldn't have been accepted to any program. You are correct, I did not have the displeasure of being on the admissions committee and make the difficult decision to admit or reject you, I don't know anything besides the OAT scores you posted. An applicant is much more than a series of numbers.

The troubling thing is you met IAUPR's minimum requirement, you WERE NOT an EXCEPTION to their admissions, you are on point with the rest of the applicant pool there.

I am not going to criticize their program too much, because honestly I don't know much about it besides the info ASCO gives. I am sure if you have the drive and motivation, you can complete the program there, pass the NBEO, and become a competent OD. However, do not kid yourself to say IAUPR is on par w/ the rest of the colleges of optometry out there. Look at the numbers and speak with their students and alumni. If you decide to dedicate the next 4 years of your life there, more power to you.

One point I would like to point out is that there are MANY students that get accepted with above average OAT scores and ABOVE REQUIRED MINIMUM GPAs that fail out, don't pass the boards, and CAN NOT handle the work AND are jerky optometrist.
This is pure heresay.

Dont forget once we start first year in optometry school WE ARE ALL EQUAL like it or not.
Don't go on the offensive. Take what we are saying, digest it, and see if it makes sense. We are not here to bash on you, or IAUPR.

But fact is, we are not all equal. I will only enter a program that is committed to excellence. One where the faculty not only cares about my well being, but will be there to help me succeed. They will not be there just to make sure I meet the minimum to be an OD, but will push me to become a leader in my field. My classmates all have proven their capabilities by demonstrating excellence in undergraduate and exam scores. Odds will be in my favor.

I want all of you to know that I understand all of the concerns and red flags that may worry all of you. But just because i might of scored a 200 on my RC DOES NOT make me a ***** or less competent or even going to make me less of a knowledgeable doctor than any of you. :nono: No one has the right to judge me when they don't even know my full academic profile. but since i started this thread in my defense i have graduated with semesters being on the deans list and i have taken 4 or more science rigorous classes which definitely shows i am ABLE to read and handle the load of work in optometry school. I have my own reasons not to take the OAT again and apply next year. I have been accepted to IAUPR because i did meet there AA OAT score and GPA requirements. So i got accepted legit.

One point I would like to point out is that there are MANY students that get accepted with above average OAT scores and ABOVE REQUIRED MINIMUM GPAs that fail out, don't pass the boards, and CAN NOT handle the work AND are jerky optometrist. Dont forget once we start first year in optometry school WE ARE ALL EQUAL like it or not.

First as a preface, this post is not to attack you or your academic profile. I sincerely hope that your score was simply just a fluke on the part of the test, and that score is not a true representation of your academic abilities.

However, the fact that IAUPR's standards are so low that they would accept you without seeing whether or not the test actually WAS a fluke is terrifying for the future of this profession.

We are not all equal once we start school. We all have to pass the boards (and at IAUPR, this might be a bit more challenging). For people who have a hard enough time with undergrad, how can you realistically suggest they won't have as hard, if not a more difficult time in optometry school. We're not all starting from the same position because we have different backgrounds. Some backgrounds will lead to easier futures while others will not.

Zygote, I believe there are students with below average scores that are capable of successfully completing an academically rigorous program. And those students do represent that 1 or 2 students out 100 that get accepted every year. THOSE are the student underdogs who I am supporting and enocouraging. I never once said, completely dismiss their academic records and just give them a spot. I never stated PASSION should substitute ABILITY either, I believe those two characteristics should be present in a candidate. However, I strongly feel schools are not requiring enough experience prior to optometry school to elminate those that are in the field for the wrong reasons. And sometimes these "unhappy" ODs are a result of not knowing what the career truly entails and such. So to comment on how you go on SDN to inform academically questionable students about the rigors of the program, that is generous of you. But at the same token, shouldn't optometry schools also require stricter requirements in the amount of experience in the field so they don't accept students who will waste 4 years of their lives and money...just to find themselves on SDN years later discouraging others from entering the field?

Now, I do believe there needs to be some level of academic ABILITy to successfully complete the program, but admission should not be based ONLY on that criteria. As Optician21 stated, there are students who did have above average grades and OAT scores but end up failing out (is this lack of interest in the career? personal problems? or inability to complete the work?...who knows...but it's a reality). Just as well as there are not so average students who successfully complete the program and go on to become competent optometrists. And those who do pass the boards and other such exams for optometric licensure do not ALWAYS make the best optometrsits either. So all I am saying is people should not be so quick to judge and make assumptions because there are always exceptions to the case.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone: I just finished taking the OAT and I cant believe I got a 200 on RC. The breakdown was bio 290, Gen Chem 320, Orgo 310, physics 310 QR 300. TS 310 AA 290 . I really don't know what to do. I was hoping to start this year. I found a thread on here with one other person having the same problem with the RC. If anyone has experienced something like this or close to it and has still has gotten accepted please leave me feedback. or if you heard of anyone getting in please let me know. any advice really would be appreciated. Thank you
Did you rescore your RC, what's the result?.

I don't know why this thread was such a biggie. If you look up IAUPR's profile from opted.org the average GPA is 3.05 and OAT 290 TS/ 290 AA. Technically this applicant was above par for the school. :eek:

The 200 should have been a flag but is anyone really that surprised?

OPTICIAN21, not attacking or bashing you at all just wanted to echo the fact that you might want to consider applying next cycle with a better OAT to some other schools, your NEBO success may well depend on it. Your call, you'll be an OD either way, just consider the differences in the caliber of education you will receive.

I am still interested in why you think the OAT is "biased."

This is a very interesting thread but I think that it's hard to expect an extreme from the outcome of OAT scores. We cannot say that OAT scores play a small part and should be considered lightly during admittance and we also cannot say that if you do poorly on the OAT, then you will be a horrible practitioner.

I am a horrible standardized test taker but I try to not make any excuses. Furthermore, I feel confident, as well as being realistic, that I will make it into school and come out maybe middle of the class.. as I have been always just a little above average among my peers. Aside from what's written on paper and what's on my records, I believe that I will be an outstanding practitioner- which has many dimensions. Scores, ranking, etc is only 1 dimension of being a great optometrist.

A GPA of 3.5, OAT scores of 320- I will try my chances for next year, apply early, and go to a school that I have confidence in. Do not settle.

I did rescore the OAT but I still haven't heard anything.

Please take the advice of retaking the OAT and applying for the matriculating year of 2010. You will have a higher chance of getting into a school that is not experimental or have low board passing rates.

As you did poorly on the OAT (as have I), I need to make sure that the school will prepare me in every way to pass boards- the first time around. If you do poorly on the OAT, how do you think you will do on boards if the school has a history of low passing rates- or NO history of any passing rates.

Just to put it out there, in your support, I took the oat and got a 290 on reading (which didn't cut it for the school of my choice despite my 350 AA and 380 science avg). I retook it yesterday and got a 360 on Reading - without preparing any differently. I think this just goes to show that you can't always base so much on these scores. **** happens.

i suggest you take it again too. good luck

Just to put it out there, in your support, I took the oat and got a 290 on reading (which didn't cut it for the school of my choice despite my 350 AA and 380 science avg). I retook it yesterday and got a 360 on Reading - without preparing any differently. I think this just goes to show that you can't always base so much on these scores. **** happens.

i suggest you take it again too. good luck

To fair, although you may not have prepared any differently, the simple fact that this is the second time taking it definitely changes things. You are preparing, on top of your previous preparations. You also know exactly how the test goes, so that gives you a edge this time.

Also, I hear they reuse some of the passages.

Congrats on the score :thumbup:

Im in a similar boat as you. I am a lisenced optician and have about 5 years experience. I just took my oat today for the first time and scored below 300 in my RC section. Im not sure if I should take my exam again. I already had an interview with PCO and they told me they GENERALLY take scores above 300 in all sections. This doesn't mean you definately cannot get in. Dont be discouraged with what people have to say. Be positive and if it doesn't work out this year, take a year off and take the exam again.

QR:340
RC:270
Bio:350
Chem:330
Orgo:350
Phys:310

TS:350
AA:330

Im new to the OAT, so can you tell me if the passages are about science or non-science? And what strategy did you use?

Thank you

Im new to the OAT, so can you tell me if the passages are about science or non-science? And what strategy did you use?

Thank you
Science passages, I start by looking at the questions first then go back to the passeges and scan the answer