Rank Order List [2012-2013]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mid-tier school. Steps 260+. AOA. 3 SLORs (2 away H)

20 applications. 20 invites. Went on 10 interviews.

1. Vanderbilt
2. Cincinnati
3. Pitt
4. Denver
5. HCMC
6. Northwestern
7. Brown
8. BWH/MGH
9. Emory
10. Bellevue

Members don't see this ad.

I like it! let me think about it, if you have a suggestion for how to incorporate it let me know.

Currently the algorithm is (# times ranked)(1/avg rank)((# of number 1 rankings), unless the program has only one #1 ranking in which case it is multiplied by 1.5 instead of 1.

Something along these lines: If a programs has at least 3 rankings and half or more are greater than or equal to 3 then it gets a small boost. I'm not sure how much, maybe 1.25x?

For example, something like St Lukes NYC vs UC Davis could be affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps not 100% on the SDN skew but anyways of the road med school in the SE, ~75/25 A/B's in pre-clinical, Clinical 50/50 A's/B's Step 1 - 210s, Step 2 250s. EM Months (Home/2x Aways), H/HP/H on the 3. Had 2 SLORs from faculty, 1 composite from home and additional from 1st away (2nd away was in november so didn't ever get a SLOR and it didn't seem to ever be an issue). Had very positive comments from interviewees on SLORs.

Married with no kids, looking for program that is going to be somewhat family friendly and certainly not a singles club. Want to get along with residents/faculty and not close any doors long term (not sure if I wanna do academics etc). Ultrasound was probably the most important aspect of the training alone I really cared about as all faculty I trained with in med school encouraged strong ultrasound. No ties outside of SE but not looking to stay in any one region.

Applied 60ish, Invites 30s, Interviewed at 12. Of note I did not have my step 2 score back when I applied; also interestingly enough of the 20 additional places I added to apply to I ended up interviewing and liking a large number of them. Also didn't get interviews at some expected/safetyish school in the SE.

1) Ohio State - Best combination of program, ultrasound, people, city of the places I interviewed. Really enjoyed the entire time here and would be thrilled to end up here. Best Peds experience around.
2) Wake Forrest - Really enjoyed the PD, strong program in the SE, casual faculty, really enjoyed the residents. Cons - Smaller sleepy city
3) UTSW - Dallas - Was my number 1 for a long time was really impressed by the program and the people. New Parkland being built to open in next 2 years. In the end moved it down a bit just because of perhaps less academic opportunities outside of Texas.
4) Pitt - Great program, EMS top notch, had a great time with residents, multiple facilities all nice, city is super neat if you ask me. Cons - Bit of a singles club, work 22/21/20 10s resp. each year.
5) Orlando - Great reputation, strong faculty, PD seemed like he cared a ton about each resident. Cons - Florida, still using T-sheets (will be converting at somepoint)
6) Duke - Ultrasound is strong here, as well as simulation, liked the PD. Cons Wasn't sold on Durham or commuting
7) Emory - Great place, perhaps not for me after rotating here, no longitudinal peds, ward month etc.
8) Medical College of Georgia - Wonderful program, faculty, residents, ultrasound very good. Bit of a hidden gem if you are willing to live in Augusta.
9) Resurrection - Rotated here, great autonomy lots of procedures, tons of sick patients (large nursing home population). Cons - Very underwhelmed with U/S program (would probably had it top 3 otherwise)
10-14) UVA, Christiana, Baystate, Umass, JPS - Some good and bad about each program will answer specific questions if anyone is curious. More or less didn't click with residents or didn't click with the area.

I like it! let me think about it, if you have a suggestion for how to incorporate it let me know.

Currently the algorithm is (# times ranked)(1/avg rank)((# of number 1 rankings), unless the program has only one #1 ranking in which case it is multiplied by 1.5 instead of 1.

You have Indiana in there and indianapolis as two separate programs. They are the same ;)

btw..the fact that we are doing this..shows just how bored we are hahaha. Man, i just wanna match.

I posted a raw list earlier on page one just to give future DO applicants some metrics. My top two were firm from the start, and chosing between the two was torture. At the end of the day, the family support for my me and wife was the narrow tiebreaker.

STATS
-DO Student: ~670/630 comlex 1/2, mid-250's usmle 2, 2nd in class, SSP, EMS experience
-Applied 44, Offered 19, Interviewed 13
-Regional focus: North East, desire to be close to family, Married with plans for a little one!
** no program deserves to be last... I truly enjoyed every one of them and would have been happy anywhere. Case UH and U of R were my only clear top pgorams. I let location be my guide for the most part :)

TOP 3
1. University of Rochester - PD was great as were faculty and residents. Proximity to family was what sealed the deal, but as you can see by # 2, I really have two #1s. I'm letting fate decide.
2. Case Western UH - frankly this was my other #1. i rotated here and fell in love with the faculty and residents. A newer program that feels VERY established. Residents are top notch and faculty loves to teach. Plenty of elective time, and the leadership really seems to care for resident well being. The new ED was by far the best on the trail. Would be equally happy matching here and a part of me hopes I do.
3. UMass - strong program, excellent leadership

REST OF THE BEST
4. Metrohealth - strong residents and great ED experience, but I wondered about their off service rotation strength, Great interview. Loved the faculty. UH was more well-rounded in my opinion.
5. Wake Forest - stellar program, dated ED, too far from home. PD was great.
6. UB - surprised me! Really enjoyed their program but they still have 12h shifts. Too many other clinical sites for my taste, but a great and varied clinical experience.
7. Tufts/Baystate - amazing volume, the new ED is GREAT, really second only to UH's IMHO
8. Geisinger - amazing PD and faculty, great welcoming group of residents
9. UConn - best sim center I saw, gorgeous campus
10. Penn State - volume a little low for my tastes but great all the same
11. Summa Akron City
12. Wright State
13. Dartmouth

Hardest decisions I've ever made. I'm letting fate send me and my family where we need to be. UofR for family and a solid program, Case UH for unreal faculty and resident support. Though matching at all will be amazing lol. :luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"n" is 47 right now, which is like 3% of all applicants last year :) pretty good!

Updated and fixed POWER SCORE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnzZUifXW_SgdHZobW5UbUpzMEZuQmNPNnB3enAyS3c#gid=0

How do you account for fact that certain programs may interview 250-300+ while there may be ones who interview less than 100? They will have perhaps more than triple the chance of being mentioned/ranked in these threads and thus an inherently larger power score.

Anyone else feel like certain programs also tend to attract applicants who are much more likely to post their ROLs/stats as well?

Maybe this "power list" that has hijacked this thread can be moved to a new post? Lets keep this thread going as people just posting their rank lists. Save the formulating of artificial lists for elsewhere.

I have nothing against what is going on, I just think it could have a dedicated thread for discussing the algorithm, biases, etc

Maybe this "power list" that has hijacked this thread can be moved to a new post? Lets keep this thread going as people just posting their rank lists. Save the formulating of artificial lists for elsewhere.

I have nothing against what is going on, I just think it could have a dedicated thread for discussing the algorithm, biases, etc

Good idea. I'll still post the updated link daily on this thread (as it's nice to have one place to look to see everyone's rankings), but any discussion of the algorithm etc should happen on the other thread. If anyone wants to delete their discussion posts that are on this thread to clean the it up, feel free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnzZUifXW_SgdDRocV9WTUNkM1AwQm9DUWVkZDgtaWc#gid=0

Last edited:
How do you account for fact that certain programs may interview 250-300+ while there may be ones who interview less than 100? They will have perhaps more than triple the chance of being mentioned/ranked in these threads and thus an inherently larger power score.

Anyone else feel like certain programs also tend to attract applicants who are much more likely to post their ROLs/stats as well?

Yeah I think this is a good point. I would assume programs that take 20 residents per year would likely interview more applicants than a program that only takes 6 per year. I think you should factor this into the algorithm.

Step 1: 220s; Step 2: 240s. Mostly H 3rd year, EM H x2. Random extracurriculars, research in undergrad. Applied 25, Offered 21, Interviewed 11.

1. Brown- (+) Amazing support and mentorship for their residents both clinically and professionally. Will contribute to tuition for MPH/MBA and help arrange shift schedule. Loved the residents who seemed really happy at the program. Moonlighting, teaching and flying opportunities. Cool tox, critical care, and international medicine faculty. Really liked Providence and close to Boston. (-) Providence is somewhat expensive for being a smaller town.

2. Cincinnati-(+)Absolutely loved the people I met here, the opportunities that are available to their residents, and the support they seem to get from the department and the faculty. Really liked how approachable both the dept chair and PD were. Cool flight opportunities, with safety highlighted. Seems like you would leave here really solid. (-) Holidays are treated like normal scheduling and off-service rotations may not be as strong. Cincinnati is not the most happening place.

3. UPenn-(+)Another program that seems really solid, with cohesive residents. Everyone there seemed really happy with their training and opportunities. Lots of support for their residents with awesome research and CHOP right next door. Some options to get involved with air medicine. Scheduling is very well thought-out and maximizes people off on weekends and holidays. Philly is relatively affordable for a bigger east coast city. Very cool resuscitation elective. (-) Floor and psychiatry blocks first year. Multiple competing programs in the city and community site somewhat of a drive away.

4. Indiana- (+)LOVED the residents- everyone cooks. Very serious about their educational opportunities. Diverse sites, all close together, one of which will be getting new ED facilities. Amazing new sim center. Lots of resident pride in their program. Good critical care focus and improving academic opportunities. (-)Couldn't get a good read on the PDs though residents seem to love them. No one would admit any faults of the program (and there's got to be something that could be improved).

5. WashU- (+)Very well-off department that treats its residents very well with lots of extras. Very focused on resident wellness. Has some very smart people and strong departments throughout the hospital. St. Louis has a ton of free resources from parks and museums to their zoo. Very well thought-out scheduling of weekends and vacation. (-) Not too much difference in the ED between years 1, 3 and 4; seemed like a 3 year curriculum stretched into 4 years. St. Louis. Was told that they often get pushback from other departments who think very highly of themselves.

6. OSU- (+)Lots of elective time for a 3-year program. Hawaii elective. Really meshed well with the residents and the faculty. Lots of teaching opportunities. (-) Columbus. Peds in month chunks, not dispersed throughout adult shifts.

7. OHSU- (+)Portland is absolutely gorgeous. Cool residents. PD really focused on working with residents and new approaches to education. Strong research. (-) Residents seemed to be there for location alone. Sounds like they give up a lot of procedures to other specialties. Routinely stay for a while after shifts doing paperwork per a few residents. Expensive parking.

8. Duke- (+)Very energetic newish program director who has a lot of ideas. Duke and associated specialities to learn from. Nice vacation schedules. (-) Only met 1 resident at the dinner and 3 at lunch so didn't get a good feeling for the program. Questionable peds experiences.

9. Akron General- (+)PD and Chair seemed like they would do anything to help you meet your goals. Lots of nice benefits and extras. 18 eight-hour shifts/mo plus 3 "academic shifts" were you can study/work out/sleep/catch up on life. (-) Residents seemed to focus on getting into community practice as quickly as possible with nothing else. Less trauma and ultrasound opportunities. A little more laid-back than what I'm looking for.

10. Detroit Receiving- (+)Sick population. Got along well with the residents. Lots of elective time for a three-year program. 13 blocks/year. ED/CC block. Simulation. (-) Detroit seems to be getting much better, but not the place for me. Homogenous patient population.

11. Univ of Louisville- Not going to break this into pros and cons-just not my type place. Very proud of their autonomy to the point of being a little scary. If you want a place where you are going to learn purely from experience without much oversight by attendings, this may be the place for you. Less EMS than other places. Louisville was actually a really nice town that is in the process of being redeveloped.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

DO 1st time applicant. Step 1 220's, Step 2 240's (Dont even remember my COMLEX score, but it was average). Applied to 37, interviewed at 11.

1. Christus Spohn (Corpus Christi, TX)
2. UTHSC (San Antonio, TX)
3. SIU (Springfield, IL)
4. University of Nevada (Las Vegas, NV)
5. UTH (Houston, TX)

The rest of the 5 are in alphabetical order (not how I ranked them)

Case Western/Metro Health (Cleveland,OH)
Earl K Long (Baton Rouge, LA)
St.Vincent Mercy (Toledo, OH)
Texas Tech (El Paso, TX)
University of Buffalo (Buffalo, NY)
University of Nebraska (Omaha, Nebraska)

So I debated for a long time whether I should post as well. I am couples matching to add a little twist to the mix. Fiancee is going into Peds, so nothing crazy. Did well on both steps and did well in med school overall. Looked at big cities but had some ties to midwest and west coast. Rotated at Christ Advocate in Chicago, thought it was AMAZING. If I wasn't couples matching it would certainly be # 1.Only listed my top 10, interviewed at a lot more and just hoping I will be within the top 10.

1. Mount Sinai
2. Christ Advocate
3. NYU
4. Cook
5. U of Michigan
6. BI - NYC
7. Harbor
8. Georgetown
9. Detroit Receiving
10. Beaumont

I'll play, stats are usual SDN, preferences don't correlate as well: Top 40 program, lots of relevant ECs, 230s/260s, 3rd year Honors, Senior AOA, EM H/HP. Applied 22, got 20, went to 15. 4-year bias, looking for an academic job. I like Dr. Gisondi's statement from the Northwestern presentation "3 year programs should have to justify being able to train you as well as a 4 year program." And RRC requirements are not that justification, they're a minimum standard.
+/- below are nearly verbatim post-interview notes with a couple clarifications where my shorthand wouldn't make sense.

1 University of Washington +Massive catchment area, active EM/CC fellowships, education research, integrated Peds, lots of faculty trained at other programs on this list, PD’s 2nd program (Michigan), I like the all-female leadership, it makes for a more progressive, less cowboy culture (this might also just be Seattle). -New program, so lots more uncertainty. Rainy winters.

2 Northwestern +11mos ICU time, PD/Chair philosophy on education/resident wellness is the best sales pitch on the interview trail, 2nd program (BWH/MGH), branding/job placement/"polished product," coaching "soft skills" as part of curriculum, "constructed curriculum,” took over UChicago’s level 1 trauma area -Some complaints that it's becoming inbred, fwiw

3 Brigham and Women's Hospital/Massachusetts General Hospital +Mentorship/Harvard resources, lots of elective time, lots of sim resources, covers first/last rent -Boston has lots of level 1 trauma centers to spread the work, but at least this program covers 2 of them.

4 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center +Red Sox, most advanced IT/technology integration on the list (Larry Nathanson), multiple affiliate hospitals for "real world" practice experience, established EM/CC fellowship with boarded fellows, 3+1 with less oversight/better pay than Hopkins, Harvard -3 year curriculum with only 6 weeks electives, most sites are community/smaller academic but acuity is very high (lots of elderly), only 4 mos CC (and 4th is new next year)

5 New York Presbyterian +Wilderness opportunities, Protected evidence and US shifts, crazy resources, Off-service burn, ped/adult anesthesia, Curriculum for how to teach, you can live in Washington Heights for Spanish immersion -few traumas/procedures, New Yorkers

6 Hopkins +FAST Track: 3 year curriculum with built in pre-fellowship/part-time attending year (20 hrs/week--it seems this may allow a 1-year fellowship to be completed during the 4th year?), Taj Majal just opened-->huge/new, zero hallway beds, but not extravagantly nicer than other majors (BWH comes to mind, Cornell as well, definitely Pitt and Cinci are as nice), laid-back unlike history might indicate, Baltimore is probably one of the cheapest cities in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region to train (resident salary can buy a row house) -Baltimore still isn't that big/developed, is a checkerboard of nice/bad areas, commute from DC or suburbs would be rough, Crazy bureaucracy--> resident example was no TVUS in department because protocol can't get through red tape (though to be fair, I haven't seen any other departments who can do it)

7 Brown +Graduated responsibility curriculum with resuscitation-heavy 3rd year, large catchment area and high volume, integrated Peds, 7 mos critical care, great/engaging PD, new education fellowship launching, lots of 4th year elective time with optional tuition remission, cheap COL (super low rent/buy options) -Relatively new education department, not as developed in fellowships but very open to resident development of new pathways, RI is very libertarian/conspiracy theorist laden (came up in conference)

The rest of the list was arranged completely by geography, and is listed alphabetically:

Cincinnati +Super sick patients, cheap COL, prestige program, helicopters, tons of money and toys, SWAT/USSS, lots of EMS, probably nose-to-grindstone best pure clinical training out there -No other strong residencies, not attached to major academic center, presentation seems to apologize for being in Cincinnati

Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center Program +PD understands curriculum design, EM/CC well-integrated, lots of sick patients, 1 month at Shock/Trauma, very welcoming residents/staff -DC is expensive, there was a ridiculous line in the closing talk about being the “most important" hospital/city/country in the universe (who says that?)

Oregon Health & Science University +Most beautiful (if impractical, being on a hill) hospital to walk around, friendly PD, cool town full of restaurants and coffee shops, busy residents are “not strictly needed" so focus is on education -Portland is seriously only restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and the outdoors (this would all be great, but might be a better vacation destination than place to live), residents are understaffed relatively, so don't have overlapping time off often

Stanford +$tanford: $3k moving, $2k/annual, $1k food bonuses, R1 = $55k, lots of research money, integrated CC fellowship and highly reviewed ICU months, lots of affiliated schools for projects, frequently published residents, Everest base camp/Denali research -Palo Alto ~1hr from SF, Silicon Valley startup-fever (±), 3 year = 20+ 12hrs/month, "4 days off per month"

University of Chicago +Flight program w/int'l flights, very nice/fun PD, multiple hospitals with tons of pathology, developing Education curriculum -Dropped level 1 status at UChicago, Hyde Park difficult to access from nicer parts of Chicago

UPMC +Jeep, CC-friendly, Steelers, super nice facilities, happy residents, nice neighborhoods -Not cutting edge in terms of ED care, CC not integrated, no ICU players in the EDs, "run like a business”

UCSF +Housing stipend, nice facilities, high volume at SFGH, high acuity at M-L, PD runs ACEP Teaching Fellowship, 2nd program (Duke), residents rent a house in Tahoe for skiing -COL is crazy (even with stipend)

Yeah I think this is a good point. I would assume programs that take 20 residents per year would likely interview more applicants than a program that only takes 6 per year. I think you should factor this into the algorithm.

The more competitive programs seemed to be doing something close to 10-12x spots, based on number of dates and number of applicants at those dates.

Step 1: High 210s
Step 2: Low 220s
SLORs: 1 away, 1 home

44 applications, 19 interview offers, 15 interviews (all ranked)

1) Birmingham, AL - family-feel, awesome facilities, solid faculty, lower hours but encouraged moonlighting.
2) Louisville, KY - this place produces program directors, seems like learning the hard way works here, cool city.
3) Chattanooga, TN - very ED focused program, a well developed small town.
4) Richmond, VA - trauma / critical care heavy, surprisingly livable downtown (the Fan / Carytown).
5) Columbia, SC - recruits like crazy so you feel special, works you hard (12hr shifts throughout) but supports your personal development.
6) Temple, TX - Awesome large program that has been training EM for 2 decades now with nice new ED, non-existent family-friendly town but only 1 hour north of Austin.
7) Roanoke, VA - newish program without graduated class but with outstanding vision and facilities, plus the town was quaint yet modern (similar to Chattanooga).
8) St. Louis, MO (WashU) - I could see myself living in the Central West End and walking to work in the fortress that clearly has resources, but its unnecessarily a 4 year program that has you competing with world-class all-other departments.
9) San Antonio, TX - completely new program that has such an energy from good leadership which will make it difficult for someone like me to get an interview there next year, new hospital/ED being built which is surprisingly quite suburbanish.
10) Corpus Christi, TX - one word: procedures, no competition from other residencies, kind faculty
11) Augusta, GA - very military focused and becoming more so by increasing time at VA, strange ED that boxed you off from patients which sounds great but my future jobs won't be like that.
12) Little Rock, AR - very southern and nothing wrong with that but I don't hunt, fish and ride horses every weekend, also seems to have an inbreeding problem (often takes tons from own school), nice new ED
13) Orlando, FL (Health) - had a northern feel with many NYers claiming the cost of living was low (which for the south it is actually high), also had a party-vibe as well which doesn't match me personally.
14) Greenville, NC - a small town where most people still have a 20 minute commute, nice people but I kind of got the feeling many who matched there did not rank it highly either.
15) Shreveport, LA - the whole state of Louisiana is going through a rough transition of selling off the state hospitals, old ED, actually made me pay for pre-interview dinner: no big deal but shows signs of nonexistent funding, seemed a bit desperate to have me which I will jump for joy if it means I get to become an EM trained physician!

Step 1: 230s
Step 2: 250s
EM Grade: Honors X 3
Other rotations: Mix P/HP/H
Top 20 med school
Couple of ongoing EM research studies, published in surgery and peds

Really struggled between choosing my top 4. All mixed around during the finals days but I would be happy at any of my top 10.

1. Carolinas
2. UNC
3. ORMC
4. OSU
5. Umass
6. Pitt
7. Palmetto
8. Maryland
9. UWisconsin
10. MetroHealth

3 more programs that are good but don't want to put them at the bottom as they don't really deserve to be there, more of location issue.

Top tier school

Have midwest ties and would prefer to end up there

Step 1: mid-230s
Step 2: mid-250s
EM Honors x2
Published in non-EM

Applied to 33 (couldn't cut down my list prior to application because I had no idea what I wanted in a program at the start). Got 25 interviews. Really wanted 4 yr academic program by the end of the season. Had a very hard time deciding between my top 5. They went up and down a million times prior to submission and I'd be absolutely thrilled at any of them (would actually be very happy at almost all these programs).

1. Michigan
2. Cincinnati
3. Northwestern
4. UNC
5. MGH/BW
6. Wisconsin
7. UTSW - Dallas
8. OSU
9. GW
10. Wash U
11. Duke

So here's my story: Middle tier US MD school with no EM program. Did two aways and no home rotation. I am told my 2 SLORs were very good. Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 260s. I made my rank list based on location first and then program quality/fit. I only interviewed at 3 year programs.

1. Detroit Receiving
This program surprised me by how solid it was top to bottom. Older program, been around a long time, very strong identity within the hospital system. My favorite curriculum out of all the programs I saw. ED-CC month in year 2, good amount of ICU time, peds throughout at CHM, rotations at 2 other community EDs, 1 elective month per year, all in a 3 year program with a reasonable shift schedule. Pathology is great, and the residents were very enthusiastic. New program director, I felt like I connected with his vision for the program and would fit in well here. They are working on adding a sports med fellowship, which is one of the few I am considering.​

2. Henry Ford
Similar history, strengths, and inner city pathology as DRH. Big EM research place, which admittedly isn't really my thing, but it's good to be around people who can teach you well, and the teaching here is top notch. Kind of a weird curriculum, intern year you only see low acuity in your ED months and has a ton of off service. Orientation month at the end of first year. Lots of electives as a 3rd year, including chances to go to Hawaii or Jackson Hole. Residents were really close, and were downright rowdy at the dinner. 10 hour shifts.​

3. William Beaumont
Great hospital facilities. Residents are well taken care of (great salary/benefits combo). Attendings were really great teachers. Lots of great medical cases but lacking a bit in trauma. Residents have a lot of latitude to manage their patients. Conferences are solid, and sometimes have great guest speakers. New ultrasound fellowship. Brand new sim lab. In house peds ED with 30k visits/year. Also do ED rotations at a community hospital in Troy. 10 hour shifts, residents typically stayed ~1 hour late, sometimes more. Not sure how many shifts/month.​

4. St. John's
Nice program, with a solid group of residents. Good mix of inner city/suburban patient population. Lighter shift schedule.​

5. Sinai Grace
ED is well respected and you see some amazing pathology here. Not so great facilities, but they are building a new ED right now. Lots of trauma.​

6. Kalamazoo - Western Michigan
I really loved this program. The EMS involvement here is unique and really appealing. Rotate at two EDs with different strengths, so you get a good diverse exposure. Residents had a lot of positive things to say about this place. If it were not in Kalamazoo I would have ranked it higher.​

7. Saginaw - Central Michigan
Nice program, great family atmosphere, great program director. I wasn't a big fan of the city, however.​

8. Orlando Regional
Really solid program, nice city to live in. Full range of pathology.​

9. UF Gainesville
Up and coming program with great teaching and academics.​

10. UF Jacksonville
Great county style program. Tough intern year, but eases up after that. I wasn't too thrilled with the city though.​

11. USF
Great ED setup. Great ultrasound teaching.​

12. Florida Hospital
Community program with good local connections.​

OK guys--here is the update for tonight of the compilation spreadsheet. All ROL's above this post are included.

We are now up to an "n" of like 55, so this is probably starting to actually become useful. I have found this to be actually really interesting as more ROLs have been submitted.

Thanks to everyone for the algorithm suggestions! The POWER SCORE now takes into account the number of PGY1 positions as a measure of competitiveness.

Here is the updated link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnzZUifXW_SgdDRocV9WTUNkM1AwQm9DUWVkZDgtaWc#gid=0

Last edited:
Sorry, but how is this spreadsheet useful? Just seems like a way for everyone to get nervous for the next 2 weeks.

Good Lord, you people need some serious help. Go start a steady infusion of your favorite microbrew and relax. ;)

USIMG from a 'big 4' Caribbean school, originally from CA. High 230s/high 240s, good grades all the way through. 3 EM rotations, P/H/HP. Nothing special about my past, my experiences or my extracurriculars. Applied to 80 and received 8 interviews.

1. UC Davis - + Sac's awesome and so is this program, - 12 hour shifts and the shift load isn't light.

2. Kaweah Delta - + loved the energy of the core faculty and its a 3 year program in CA, - new program

3. U of Rochester - + great PD, really chill residents with similar hobbies/personalities to mine, awesome city for the outdoorsman (me), - weather

4. St John - + excellent group of people, very legit training, great mix of patients, - not well known (honestly, the only downside other than location)

5. Shreveport - + down to earth, friendly faculty and residents, lots of outdoor activities, - old hospital, not sure how a vegetarian Californian would fit into this population

6. Shreveport EM/FM - + great FM program with a strong emphasis on aesthetics and procedures, would much rather be here for 5 years than Long Island for 4 years, - the program itself seemed more like FM's project that EM merely participated in

7. LIJ - + great facilities, all of the resources one could ask for, happy residents, caring chair and PD, - its in Long Island

8. LIJ EM/IM - + all of above, very cool 6 year critical track, current residents seem really pleased with their choice, - have to add 1 more year in Long Island

Overall, I would be very happy matching anywhere that is willing to turn me into an emergency physician. Good luck to all!!

Sorry to add to the SDN Neurosis.

S1/S2 = ~250/~260, Jun AOA, No pubs, Mid Tier state school, 3 SLORS (don't know if they are good), H at home, HP at away, step 2 came out in Feb a week before ROL date.

I really hope the 220's will start posting so we can get a better view and not just my and similar neurotic submissions.

1. UNM
2. UTSW
3. Harbor-UCLA
4. Utah
5. Maricopa
6. Highland
7. Hennepin
8. Cinci
9. Texas Tech

not listing last 3 for sense of being polite.

I think it's useful for at least three things--

1. For future applicants to get a sense of how many people ranked what and programs' true competitiveness from this year based on some data and not just hearsay.

2. Also, for people to be realistic about their planning and expectations for match day. Based on the ROL's posted so far, if I was an average, or even above average applicant who had put Carolinas number one and had been counting on it being in the envelope, I would start adjusting my expectations to not be disappointed on Match Day if a different name comes out. Conversely, if I have put a program that is lower on the list number one, I can start to become a little more confident about what's coming.

3. I've been enjoying seeing certain patterns. For example, Orlando Health is the single most ranked program at this point, but not a single person has ranked it 1 or 2--mostly 5s and 6s. Everyone that ranks Carolinas ranks it highly--conversely, a lot of people have ranked Vandy really high, but some people clearly didn't like it at all and ranked it like number 12.

Just my two cents. And I think it's just fun to see actual data coming out of the craziness that has been the last 6 months.

Careful there with declaring this a measure of a programs "true competitiveness" as it seems that 80%+ of peoples rank lists seem to focus on the mid-south (mostly carolina states), california and way right coast. This only tells us where this years SDN-people-who-post applicant pool feels like telling us they like/rank....I mean, just off the top of my head I feel like Kaweah Delta has been ranked more times than Hennepin (don't quote me) and I don't like the whole tiers argument....but a program which has so far had ZERO classes is now more competitive than one of the more storied EM residencies.

Lol, all this tells me is that if you ranked Carolinas high...you really want to post it on SDN to tell everyone because its pretty ego-syntonic.

That being said, this is an interesting idea and read for sure, but its far from what you're calling it. .02.

I think this thread is reassuring, and I wish more people would post.

I know that my #1 choice interviews about 160 people for 16 spots. About 10 people have posted that they are also ranking my ideal program, but it has been at the middle or bottom of their lists. So, now I'm really only competing with 150 people for one of those 16 spots.

Careful there with declaring this a measure of a programs "true competitiveness" as it seems that 80%+ of peoples rank lists seem to focus on the mid-south (mostly carolina states), california and way right coast. This only tells us where this years SDN-people-who-post applicant pool feels like telling us they like/rank....I mean, just off the top of my head I feel like Kaweah Delta has been ranked more times than Hennepin (don't quote me) and I don't like the whole tiers argument....but a program which has so far had ZERO classes is now more competitive than one of the more storied EM residencies.

Lol, all this tells me is that if you ranked Carolinas high...you really want to post it on SDN to tell everyone because its pretty ego-syntonic.

That being said, this is an interesting idea and read for sure, but its far from what you're calling it. .02.

I can tell you that I did not rank Carolinas #1 to impress my classmates, family, faculty, or SDN. I ranked it #1 for a wide variety of reasons (family, professional, fit, etc), non of which is to look cool as an anonymous poster on this website. What this does tell you though, is that a lot of very competitive applicant interviewed at Carolinas and that quite a few of them really enjoyed the interview and their program.

Frequent lurker during interview season, but always afraid to post. Taking the plunge!

A tiny bit about me:
Step 1: 240's
Step 2: 250's
Honors in all EM rotations and pretty good application I think
Trying to stay in the midwest (I know, it can be cold but thats ok) so I was really looking for what I felt was the best the great north had to offer! Fingers crossed.

1. U of Iowa- Incredible program, but I'm kind of nervous because at least 1 person has already ranked number one on here and they only offer like eight spots I think. Yikes!!!
2. MCW
3. Indiana
4. Regions
5. Wisconsin
6. U of Chicago
7. Advocate Christ
8. Grand Rapids
9. Ohio State
9. Nebraska
10. Summa Akron
11. Illinois-Peoria
3 more that liked too but feel bad. Be happy anywhere on my list!

It doesn't matter how much the n= or how much the "formula" is tweaked. The sample population is so hilariously biased the data well never have any factual meaning. Garbage in, garbage out.

I'd rather see this thread be about the fun of reading people *subjective* opinions and ROL's.

The "formula" has its own thread, so there's no reason to keep double posting in this one.

It doesn't matter how much the n= or how much the "formula" is tweaked. The sample population is so hilariously biased the data well never have any factual meaning. Garbage in, garbage out.

I'd rather see this thread be about the fun of reading people *subjective* opinions and ROL's.

The "formula" has its own thread, so there's no reason to keep double posting in this one.

Actually, since you know the SDN data is skewed to the higher end you can probably still make predictions by taking that into account. Saying "Garbage in, garbage out" is inaccurate as that would imply the data is totally worthless rather than just biased.

I can tell you that I did not rank Carolinas #1 to impress my classmates, family, faculty, or SDN. I ranked it #1 for a wide variety of reasons (family, professional, fit, etc), non of which is to look cool as an anonymous poster on this website. What this does tell you though, is that a lot of very competitive applicant interviewed at Carolinas and that quite a few of them really enjoyed the interview and their program.

I also ranked Carolinas high and I agree with this. I thought the people and program there were great. I have a family and it seemed very family friendly also.

I'm a little worried that my top places seem to be high on people's lists. But in the end, we all will end up where we were meant to be. At least I hope! :)

I agree that the most valuable thing is people posting their impressions of programs. But I if we end up over the next few weeks with 100 plus rank lists, there's no way that having them in a spreadsheet to look at isn't valuable or interesting information. It doesn't kill anyone to skip over the posts they don't want to read.

OF COURSE the "power score" is admittedly (and intentionally) made up and kind of silly. But it's not silly to see who has ranked what where.

I agree. I appreciate the work and effort.

It doesn't kill anyone to skip over the posts they don't want to read.

I agree, I'm not suggesting there's no merit, and I wouldn't have said anything, except IMO it's kinda poor forum etiquette to continue to post about it in this thread after you've started your thread on the same subject. If anything I'd suggest, since you've already made it, keeping all the formula/number talk to the other thread and then in a few weeks when it seems unlikely there'll be anymore ROL's posted you can tack your final spreadsheet to the end of this thread for posterity.

But hey, if people want to discuss it in both *shrugs*. I won't say anything else subject.

As alluded to, this is the post all of the class of 2013, including me, seems to want to see:

I am AOA at the best medical school in the world. My step scores are both over 310. 10 applications, 11 offers, 10 interviews. Also, cured cancer and autism.

1. Place that's really competitive What a program. I love it. You know that anyone who gets an interview here and has any social skills is going to get their top three.

2. Legendary competitive program Also very good, but mostly here to show you that #1 wasn't a fluke. I'm totally competitive and will get my top 3.

3. Other program Great program. I ranked it lower than the other two because I feel bad riding on my legacy; because the last 14 generations of my family have done residency here. In the ER. And my dad is PD. Mom is hospital CEO. Brother is emergency chief. And some of the other attendings used to babysit me when I was little. No way I'll go below this program on my list.

list of programs 4-8

9. Your #1 program This was the possibly the best place I visited. But I dislike the weather. Too hot or too cold, depending. I won't be matching here and therefore won't be competing for your spot.

10. Your #2 program Wow, what a place. Perfect. but I dislike the weather and my SO would never move here. So I'm not competing for your spot. Totally get why you want to go here, though. Fantastic place