[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It remains, combined with location, probably one of the most important and heavily weighted factors when choosing a program for most applicants. Despite all the extensive debate, I don't think there is a clear consensus on "which is better" which is why it is always brought up.

Don't stress out applicants. The number 1 program is where you match! If it happens to be a 3 year program then great, you'll get an extra year of salary and experience! But if it happens to be a 4 year program, fear not, in exchange for an extra year of salary and experience you get the privilege of another year of residency, where all your mistakes are essentially freebies and you don't really get sued for anything you do.

Win-win.

Well unless you end up at UNC. I think they make the ED interns scribe for the PA residents, or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I'm moonlighting a ton as a 4th year resident. The whole 3+1 argument vs 4 year straight out doesn't really hold much water to me because I feel like I am still getting solo attending experience.

Not a fair argument because 3rd years in a 3 year program can also moonlight a lot and get solo attending experience. This isn't unique to 4 year programs. If anything, the fact that 3rd years can get out there and moonlight successfully working on their own independently more so proves that an extra year isnt necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Well unless you end up at UNC. I think they make the ED interns scribe for the PA residents, or something like that.
Made me laugh

UNC was the first program to reject me this cycle, despite me having tons of connections to the area and doing an away at their sister program at CMC.

Maybe it’s petty and I’m a terrible person, but it’s been very entertaining to watch them get made fun of all over the internet for this ridiculous Midlevel nonsense.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Made me laugh

UNC was the first program to reject me this cycle, despite me having tons of connections to the area and doing an away at their sister program at CMC.

Maybe it’s petty and I’m a terrible person, but it’s been very entertaining to watch them get made fun of all over the internet for this ridiculous Midlevel nonsense.

I don't think there is really any connection between CMC and UNC as far as the EM residencies are concerned.

I don't think there is really any connection between CMC and UNC as far as the EM residencies are concerned.

Yea I don’t Mean to say they’re connected in an official GME capacity.

But CMC does serve as a home institution for UNC med school, and a sizable chunk of their med students complete their clinical rotations there.

No more rank orders?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Posted anonymously via Google Form.

9) DC- MedStar Health/Georgetown
top 5 PD; greatest gentlement to converse with (we spoke about raising families then transitioned into a friendly debate over handball)---Bhat is AWESOME, female eladership, wildly sick patient population

cons: not as many opportunities for residents compared to the previous 8 on this list. Dont kill the messenger

I trained here and just wanted to be another messenger on the "opportunities for residents" part as the person who wrote this seems to be referencing post-residency opportunities.

Speaking for myself and the many grads I know, post-residency opportunities are extremely good. When I was there I recall something like 1/3 of alumni went academic, 1/3 went community, and 1/3 did fellowships. Grads have landed great jobs in super tough markets, gone rural, worked urban, worked internationally, publish tons, publish nothing, and everything in between. With the exception of maybe hyperbarics and palliative care I think grads have done every fellowship you can do from EM. Given how sick the patients are at this program, several residents have gone into crit care fellowships and also sports as they have one of the few sports med fellowships housed in an EM department.

Part of this success is that the training is quite good. The other part is that the program leadership genuinely cares about grads post-residency plans and helps get them where they want to go.

Best of luck to the person who wrote the above comment as well as everybody else in the match! You'll all be a-ok.

Reactions: 1 users
I trained here and just wanted to be another messenger on the "opportunities for residents" part as the person who wrote this seems to be referencing post-residency opportunities.

Speaking for myself and the many grads I know, post-residency opportunities are extremely good. When I was there I recall something like 1/3 of alumni went academic, 1/3 went community, and 1/3 did fellowships. Grads have landed great jobs in super tough markets, gone rural, worked urban, worked internationally, publish tons, publish nothing, and everything in between. With the exception of maybe hyperbarics and palliative care I think grads have done every fellowship you can do from EM. Given how sick the patients are at this program, several residents have gone into crit care fellowships and also sports as they have one of the few sports med fellowships housed in an EM department.

Part of this success is that the training is quite good. The other part is that the program leadership genuinely cares about grads post-residency plans and helps get them where they want to go.

Best of luck to the person who wrote the above comment as well as everybody else in the match! You'll all be a-ok.

TBH residents/attendings coming to a defense of a program just makes it look worse.

TBH residents/attendings coming to a defense of a program just makes it look worse.

I think there's value to first-hand information. I have some regarding post-residency opportunities/life. Hence my post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/230's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/HP/Unsure
AOA: No
Med School Region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: GHHS, Teaching Experience, my personal statement was mentioned at almost every interview

Main considerations in making this ROL: Program Faculty/Resident Fit, Teaching Opportunities, Location/Access to outdoor activities, Acuity/Volume of Training site

1) MI- University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor)
Pros- This program really dazzled me. I have a lot of respect for the former PD and the new PD Dr. Huang is fantastic, had one of my best interviews all season with him. I got the impression that this was a place where people cared deeply about the quality of their work and were passionate people. The ICU experience here is incredible with the EC3 critical care area in the ED as well as the # of ICU rotations. They also have a teaching fellowship which is important to me. The training is also feels well balanced with academic medicine at the U, more community medicine at St. Joe's, and a more rural/underserved experience in Flint MI. I also find Ann Arbor super charming, but I'm a small town gal so take that as you will.

Cons-I really liked the residents here, but they are probably on the more serious side than most of the other places I interviewed at. I think I could make great friends there but if you are hoping for a beer funneling bro experience this may not be it. Also I was asking one of the residents about if any one in the program is involved in service/community outreach, and he said "oh, you don't have to do that in residency if you don't want to." (ouch) but then he went on to tell me about how one of his co-residents goes to Detroit to help remove white supremacy tattoos from former inmates, so I decided that his opinion was not representative of the program as a whole.

2) MA- UMMS Baystate
Pros- This program felt like a bunch of wonderfully sweet and goofy people I would love working with and get good training. It has been said many times how wonderful their PD is but seriously guys their PD both looks and acts like Mr. Rogers and I truly believe he takes care of his residents. Speaking of the residents they were also super great, one of them wore light up glasses on our tour and brought games for down time afterwards during the interview. There are many people in MedEd here (again, interest of mine) and I probably nerded out a little too much about how I listened to one of their faculty's podcast, alas. The hospital also has a ton of acuity in volume because of its catchment area. Also-I am straight but they seem very supportive of the LGBT community and have several LGBT faculty members, which is awesome.

Cons-To quote the PD "We love serving our community in Springfield, but you are not allowed to live here." Springfield seems to have a violence problem (great for training) but not a lot of culture. However, some of the surrounding areas are quite lovely (Northampton,) but it is definitely not a big city scene if that's something your into, and the housing is also on the pricier side.

3) VA- Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Program
Pros-Carilion has a huge catchment area and tons of very sick patients, and I feel confident I would be very well trained here. In addition to the main hospital in Roanoke there are also opportunities to work at very rural hospitals and the program seems very open to moonlighting. I really liked all of the residents and faculty I met*, they seemed like cool, down to earth people

Cons-*The PD is both a pro and a con for me. He seems like a very passionate person who would go to bat for his residents and wants the program to succeed. I also think this is because he seems like kind of a narcissist and probably just views that as a reflection of himself and it is important for his ego, but I'll take it. Roanoke, VA is also a bit of a pro/con; the surrounding area is beautiful and has tons of hiking, but my little foodie heart hurts a little about the restaurant scene (which is not barren but certainly on the sparser side.)

4) ME- Maine Medical Center
Pros- The unopposed ortho/ENT/anesthesia residency situation is pretty sweet. Portland is a super cool place and ME itself is gorgeous and has tons of outdoor opportunities. There are tons of great faculty here and I think it would be great place to train.

Cons-Liked most but not all of the residents. The opportunities here are good but overall the ED is on the smaller side and a little lower in volume. Also I thought the diversity sales pitch on interview day was pretty weak; both Maine as a whole and the residency class is very homogenous and I think diversity is lacking. There are female residents, but on the whole a lower ratio than a lot of the other places I interviewed at.

5) VA- University of Virginia Medical Center Program
Pros-Probably some of my favorite faculty. The PD is very sweet and approachable and has a lot of experience after serving as the APD for several years. New ED is nice. The residents were also super nice. I like their longitudinal tracks and that they have MedEd fellows there. They have a robust toxicology program which is not a specific interest of mine but certainly seems useful. Charlottesville is a great little city with like a million vineyards and great hiking access.

Cons-Very academic & consult-y with not as many community/rural experiences. Volume also on the lower side. And these things together make it a little lower on my list and I wish it could be higher.

6) GA- WellStar Kennestone Regional (Marietta)
Pros- I was honestly expecting to hate this program and was very pleasantly surprised. The PD is kinda quirky but I'm all about it and I had some really great interviews with faculty here. The residents seemed very happy and kind. They really talked up the acuity of their hospital & opportunities for tons of procedures (I do have some reservations about this, I would hope that they are being thoughtful about who they tube and put lines in and are not just doing it for sport, which some of the conversations edged on at times.) There will be a brand new ED in the spring and they have a concierge service to run errands for you which is wild. There was also good diversity with people of color and LGBT residents, which is a plus for me. Also the hospital is not in downtown ALT but many of the residents live in the Atlanta suburbs and commute to Marietta and they seemed happy with that arrangement.

Cons-I think this seems like a great place to train for someone who is committed to being an awesome community doctor who has no interest in academics. I still feel like I would get solid training here but they are not as plugged in to research or MedEd and I think I would have to work harder to prove myself and be involved in those things. Also as a private hospital and a newer program I think they are facing significant turf battles. Their ultrasound director mentioned the residents are having trouble getting in US guided nerve blocks bc anesthesia wants to come down and bill for those, which is a huge negative for me. The turf war has also resulted in their current lack of OB rotation (which I'm pretty sure they still haven't resolved because their have been no updates, and that worries me.)

7) KY- University of Louisville
Pros- I really liked the residents, and Louisville was a way bigger/cooler city than I thought and I could totally get behind living there. Acuity and volume seem good and they are open to moonlighting.

Cons-I'm not sure I can get behind their educational philosophy. One of the residents described it as "the Montessori school of residencies" and while I want the space to have my own ideas and make independent decisions as a resident, I think I'm going to need a little more mentorship than that. Also most of my interviewers were unprepared for my interview and didn't read my file beforehand, and we didn't interview with the PD so I feel like I don't know her quite as well.

8) TN- University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga Program
Pros- High volume/acuity for training. Chattanooga is outdoorsy and has a lot of cute restaurants and bars.

Cons- Very few female faculty and the (one of three) female faculty members that I interviewed with said the female residents still experience overt sexism on their off-service rotations. Overall I felt the PD had a pretty weak sales pitch of the program and was just like "hey we exist, come here if you like." Also only 2 residents came to the dinner and one of them was SUPER weird and that had a pretty negative impact on me.

9) SC- Prisma Health-Upstate/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville Program
I had a uniquely rough experience on my rotation here that I don't think represents the program as a whole. I know several people who have personally had great experiences. The PD is truly amazing and there are many, many great faculty here. They have a great academic-community hybrid program that I think provides a great depth of training. I just worked with several female faculty members that were very hard on me, in a way that really disappointed me because I always hope that women will support women but I didn't find that to always be true. A lot of my evaluation comments were about how I was quiet and soft-spoken and the were worried that I lacked confidence and I did not have the same experience on my other 2 rotations so I'm just not sure what happened there but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anything Else To Add?
Introverts hang in there! It is hard to meet so many new people on rotations sometimes but you can thrive in the ED as a friendly introvert. I think overall my ability and personality shined through on my rotations, but as I mentioned above I struggled a little bit with being quiet at first because I don't roll up to a situation with jazz hands immediately (ok-maybe still a little bitter.) I also think my mentors over-estimated how well I would do on rotations because they have gotten to know me and didn't really think this would be a problem, and it turned out to be in some cases. Also because of this I think I severely under-applied and only got 9 interview invites, but I'm very hopeful I will match and everything will turn out ok. I also felt like the places I got interviews from was extremely random as far as the competitiveness of the program, so I would recommend applying to a wide range of safeties, match and reach programs.

Programs you applied to:
Applied to 37 total; rejections below

Programs whose interviews you declined:
None

Programs whose interviews you attended:
All listed above

Programs from which you withdrew before hearing anything:
Oh to be so lucky (none)

Programs that rejected you:
Forever wait listed-Boston Medical Center

Officially rejected from U of Maryland, Northwestern, U of Florida Jax, Orlando Health (twice in fact), UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, University of New Mexico, UT Murfreesboro, University of Utah, Medical University of South Carolina, University of Chicago, University of Illinois-Chicago, Henry Ford, Oregon Health and Sciences University,

Rejection by ghosting: Georgetown, University of Arizona-Tuscon, University of Wisconsin-Madison, LSU- New Orleans, UT San Antonio, University of Vermont, Virginia Commonwealth University, Christiana Care, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Medical College of Georgia, Detroit Receiving Hospital

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/270's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: HP/HP
Med School Region: East Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Large amount of mentoring/volunteer work as well as research (for EM at least). Life experience having wife and son in elementary school (felt as if this helped relating to attendings during interviews/making small talk)

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location near Philly

1) PA- Temple
Pros: Great volume and autonomy given to residents. Super busy ED with a lot of various types of trauma. Residents have good rapport with each other and attendings, and definitely fit the "work hard/play hard" mold. Shifts are 9-10 hours for interns, 8 hours for seniors. Love Philly as a city. EM is well-respected at the hospital and administration sticks up for the residents. Program leadership is super down-to-earth and friendly.

Cons: Busy ED could likely lead to higher risk of burnout (though this is helped by the shorter shift lengths and good relations with fellow residents/attendings). Patient population is mainly low socioeconomic status African American with little diversity outside of this, though the pathology is good. Not quite as much resident-med student teaching (something I am interested in doing during residency). Main ED doesn't see Peds patients so a few shifts every month are done at Peds hospital (CHOP/St. Christopher's).

2) PA- Crozer-Chester Medical Center Program
Pros: Good patient diversity with urban/suburban/rural patient populations. Community feel with some higher level facilities (burn ICU, DuPont peds, Neuro ED, etc.). Residents seemed happy. Scheduling changes from year to year and is voted on by residents, but only interns and 3rd years cover nights so 2nd years don't have any night shifts during ED months. Overall scheduling sounded pretty chill. Young faculty that seems excited about continuing to build program. EM seems to be well respected at the hospital. Love Philly and the Philly suburbs around the hospital.

Cons: Team Health recently took over so some faculty turnover and changes. Schedule making did seem somewhat weird with the voting system. PD was meh. Crozer doesn't have a great reputation as a health system in the Philly area.

3) PA- St. Luke's Bethlehem
Pros: Really got along well with the residents and the attendings all seemed really nice and care about the residents. PC is great. Good clinical teaching and autonomy. Seem very focused on wellness. Would definitely see myself being happy here and still think I would get good training.

Cons: Location isn't great. ED volume/# of residents ratio seems low when compared to other programs with similar volumes or # of residents (though talking with rotators they said volume wasn't an issue). Wasn't a huge fan of the PD as much as others seem to be (seemed like a car salesman type). Trauma seems like a lot of "old people on blood thinners".

4) PA- Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine Program
Pros: Good teaching both from attendings and senior residents. Really good ICU training and Toxicology exposure. Good facilities and expanding the ED.

Cons: 4 year program. Location isn't great. Program leadership seemed very formal and "down to business" more than friendly with the residents. EM not involved in trauma at the main hospital (sounds like they will now be involved in secondary hospital).

5) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Pros: Great facilities and attendings seem excited about program. Tower Health has a lot of resources. Residents have a lot of say in enacting change.

Cons: Newer program that still seems to be going through growing pains. Seems like it has a lot of potential once they get through those. Did not get to interact with many residents so couldn't get a great idea of the general "vibe".

6) PA- Wellspan York
Pros: Great facilities and residents/faculty were welcoming and seemed to get along. Circadian shift schedule which I prefer. No anesthesia residents so a lot of airway experience. Good opportunities for teaching medical students. Program seems to have a lot of resources.

Cons: Location is kind of middle of nowhere. Peds floor month rather than Peds ICU. Didn't connect with the residents as much as other programs, though they seemed like good people.

7) PA- Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program
Pros: Got along with residents and faculty seem to support residents. Good clinical teaching and shift schedules (9 hours). On campus housing is available. Seemed to have good Peds training and community medicine opportunities. Good opportunities for teaching medical students.

Cons: Location is kind of middle of nowhere. A lot of "old people fall on blood thinners" trauma. Had an issue with board pass rates a few years ago (enacted changes to help with that). Some inter-departmental friction between services according to one attending.

8) PA- Geisinger Health System Program
Pros: Good clinical teaching and supportive attendings. Residents got along well with each other and seemed happy. Good opportunities to teach medical students. Decent diversity of pathology.

Cons: Location is incredibly rural and middle of nowhere. Lower ED volume. Somewhat of a "bro" atmosphere among the residents. Very inbred program with most attendings having graduated from the program (could possibly lead to lack of outside ideas).

9) NJ- Hackensack University
Pros: Strong wellness emphasis. The residents seemed happy and attendings seem supportive. Good schedule and teaching opportunities with new med school. Well-respected hospital system.

Cons: Trauma experience seemed weaker. Sounded like a lot of calling specialists as most of the patient population is more well-off and are coming into the ED after being referred from their doctor to see a specialist in the hospital. Really not a fan of the NYC suburbs and cost of living, which is a large reason why it is towards the bottom of my list.

10) NJ- Atlantic Health (Morristown)
Pros: Residents got along well with each other and seemed well supported by faculty. Good cheaper housing options considering the cost of living.

Cons: Schedule has a lot of 12 hour shifts which I am not a fan of. Residents seemed to really like to party, which while I do enjoy I also have a family so it felt like I was at a different stage in life than many of them. Really not a fan of the NYC suburbs and cost of living which is a large reason why it is towards the bottom of my list.

11) NJ- Inspira Health Network (Vineland)
Pros: The brewery at the pre-IV dinner was good?

Cons: Honestly this was the only program I interviewed at where I felt like the education was sub-par and that I wouldn't be happy there. Only ranked because I felt it was a slight step up from SOAPing. There is no trauma that comes in to the main hospital site. Trauma is done at Christiana (which is good), but not seeing trauma the rest of the time seems bad for learning. A lot of off service rotations are not at the main hospital. New Inspira hospital being built that looked nice, but told "yeah, residents will NOT be rotating there". Shifts are 12 hours and residents seemed stressed/overworked. One of the chiefs in particular seemed to resent fellow residents. I didn't get along at all with the residents or faculty. Interviews were all panel-style and very awkward. Not a fan of "rural" South Jersey location.

Anything Else To Add?
Overall my list is largely based on my Philly location preference. Education-wise I felt like Temple stood above the rest in terms of training, then all the others were pretty good with some strengths and weaknesses, and then Inspira was clearly below the rest. I feel like most EM programs give pretty good training without huge differences, so it really comes down to fit and what your priorities are.

Programs you applied to:
23 total programs around the Philadelphia/North East region. The ones above as well as Einstein Philly, Christiana Care, Cooper, Jefferson Health Northeast, Johns Hopkins University, Newark Beth Israel, Rowan SOM/Jefferson Health/Our Lady of Lourdes, Rutger NJ Medical School, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Sidney Kimmel Medical College TJUH, St. Joseph's University, University of Pennsylvania

N/A

Check ROL

N/A

Johns Hopkins University, University of Pennsylvania, Cooper

Note from @Stephanopolous : To anyone who would like to contribute or change anything, you can also PM me your ROL or any other information that was left off your submission on the spreadsheet. Your anonymity will be maintained.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 260's/260's (USMLE)
AOA: Yes
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Not at all

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location, community/county>academic, fit with residents, and SO's opinion of town

1) FL- Orlando Health
Pros: Loved the residents, staff, ED, WEATHER, and the fact that there are not many other residencies there. Get to see everything and do everything.

Cons: far from family, little higher COL than where I am currently.

2) VA- Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Program
Pros: Had a good time with the residents, family is close, huge # of outdoor activities, pretty much unopposed, low COL, mid sized city.

Cons: none

3) VA- University of Virginia Medical Center Program
Pros: Spent time here and loved the staff and residents! Brand new gorgeous ED. PD is super nice. Close to family. Not a big city.

Cons: consults a bit more than I would like but tbh it's not bad, and the other services like to teach.

4) UT- Murfreessboro
UT- Murfeesboro
Pros: PD had a clear vision that I loved. Pretty much unopposed. Great work life balance. Felt like they were a "real world" ED place. Would be higher but SO likes other cities better.

Cons: just farther from family.

5) WV- West Virginia University Program
Pros: fam close. great faculty and residents. Rural rotations.outdoors stuff. PD was cool.

Cons: Have to go to a Big 12 school lol

6) OK- University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine (Tulsa) Program
Pros: Loved this place and residents. Chair and PD were amazing. Feels more like real world medicine where you consult actual attendings and not other residents. Get to do like everything. Cheap COL.

Cons: OKC for peds month but tbh that's not a big deal.

7) VA- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program
Pros: PD and residents were all nice and V chill. Seems like a great setup. Close to fam.

Cons: Would be higher but SO didn't like Richmond too much.

8) SC- Prisma Health-Midlands/University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Columbia Program
Pros: Huge global health opportunities. PD seemed awesome. Really busy. Warm weather. Low COL.

Cons: None

9) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
Pros: Family close. Super nice PD and residents. Rural rotations.

Cons: Cold. Maybe volume? But with Creighton ED closing I doubt that will be a problem.

10) AR- University of Arkansas
Pros: PD was so stoked about everything in life. Lots of nature stuff around Little Rock. Residents were nice. Definitely enough volume.

Cons: Far from fam

11) MO- University of Missouri- Columbia
12) MN- Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
13) IA- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Program
14) MI- Beaumont Health (Royal Oak)
15) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
16) MI- Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine (Kalamazoo)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/240's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Unsure/Unsure/Unsure
Anything else that made you more competitive: ED scribe prior to med school, sparkling personality

Main considerations in making this ROL: Vibe over everything else, location, quality of training, support system near enough

1) KY- University of Kentucky
Rotated here and loved the people, town, vibe, etc. Very hands on, good exposure to trauma and critically ill patients. Low cost of living in Lexington. Good moonlighting opportunities.

2) GA- Emory
I feel like everyone else has already said everything you can about Emory. I agree with above.

3) MA- UMMS Baystate
Really loved the emphasis on wellness in the department. Residents seemed very capable and overall happy. High acuity hospital. Overall loved my day here. Not the biggest fan of the area but I'd get over it.

4) PA- Albert Einstein Healthcare Network Program
Seem like a badass group of residents who can basically handle anything by 3rd-4th year. PD boasts that residents can go anywhere and succeed following graduation. Really loved Philly more than I thought I was going to. Support system in the area. Cons are 4 years and rumors that residents are overworked.

5) MS- University of Mississippi
Really debated where to put this one. Rotated here and had a good month seeing really sick patients. Just hated Jackson. However, it's semi close to home so a good support system during the 3 years. Residents seemed cool and capable.

6) PA- Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine Program
Seemed like a really good program. Would be happy to match here. High pay with low cost of living. Cons are 4 years and location for me. Still close enough to family though.

7) RI- Kent Hospital Program
Decent program, wasn't blown away. Ranked here more-so because of location and off service rotation experiences. Residents all seemed happy and chill though. Got along well with everyone on interview day.

8) GA- WellStar Kennestone Regional (Marietta)
Very busy ED with good exposure to sick patients. The residents all seemed cool. Great benefits. Still working things out since it's a fairly new program. Got weird vibes with some faculty.

9) TX- Christus Health/Texas A&M College of Medicine/Spohn Hospital Program
Honestly really loved this program, just hated Corpus Christi itself. Residents were all cool and seemed badass. They boast very high procedure numbers. Low cost of living with great benefits. Again, location really dropped this one for me.

10) IL- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
Good program in a not ideal location for me. Put off by the no plan B/birth control thing.

11) FL- FSU (Sarasota)
New program but seems to be headed in a good direction. Near family. Sarasota memorial is super nice and well off. Patient population not very diverse. As a single person Sarasota isn't really ideal location.

12) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
Just got a weird vibe overall here.

13) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon
Not impressed. Ranked it because I would rather be here than SOAP. Only pro for me is location because I love Tampa and could live there.

Anything else to add?
Nothing. I am very average and proud of it.

Programs you applied to:
Way too many to list here

LSU Shreveport, Inspira

Everyone listed

Oh so many

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 220's/250's (USMLE) 600's/600's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: P/Honors/P
Anything else that made you more competitive: Lol, I wish.

Main considerations in making this ROL: Proximity to home, my spouse, opportunities in medical critical care specifically and especially for in house fellowships, ability to buy a house in the area, quality of life and training, benefits and perks, exposure to trauma, COL, quality of residents, 3>4, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment.

1) MS- University of Mississippi
Pros: 3 years, good volume, farm and "urban" trauma, huge referral area, phenomenal COL, residents were great in similar mindset/values as my wife an I., easy to buy a house, PD very glad to hear I wanted to be there, huge plus for the IM based CC fellowship in addition to existing surgical and soon to be anesthesia one, not too referral heavy for a more academic place, handle most of the trauma, flight opps, discount on food and access in the hospital to it, resident food lounge thing. Gas station BBQ.

Cons: Jackson isn't the best city down south, but I'll take it.

2) VA- Eastern Virginia Medical School Program
Pros: Residents were very nice, family oriented, most had dogs, really love the area. ED staffed by private group with a little more cash to spend on perks like journal club with fam invited, catered lunch for didactics, resident retreat. New years or xmas off in addition to 15 days. IM Critical Care fellowship open to EM. Day float ICU rotation, and on that note lots of rotations very m-f 9-5 feel. Flight opps from day one. 2 month orientation. Send interns to SAEM and others. Dragon dictation, epic. Extensive alumni base, old program, well established. Allegedly can get an Emergency response vehicle with lights and sirens.I like the multiple sites longitudinally instead of one hospital each month vibe. Beach eating.

Cons: Location is great, but far from home. Concern for trauma exposure given hx of malignancy in surgery program.

3) GA- WellStar Kennestone Regional (Marietta)
Pros: Very busy, great perks, close to home. I rotated here, and got to do a lot during my month, but I could have done more. I enjoyed the PD and faculty and they seem like they have a great vision for the place if they could just work it out with the rest of the hospital. Close to Atlanta as well. Southern cooking.

Cons: If it wasn't so close to home for me and my wife, this may be further down the list. I didn't love my interactions with some faculty during my rotation month, the OB thing has to get figured out, and the program is just really new. Oh, and friggin' traffic.

4) LA- Louisiana State University (New Orleans)
Pros: Hands down the best program I visited. If it wasn't 4 years it'd be number one or two. Great exposure to everything, new orleans is awesome, PD is great and enthusiastic, cares about social issues and missions and puts their money where their mouth is, hospital is absolutely incredible. I think QOL would be really great here. Cajun food.

Cons: 4 years kind of ruins this place unfortunately, especially since I want to do critical care. I don't need an extra year separating me and a real income if I can help it.

5) FL- Mt. Sinai (Miami Beach)
Pros: Location is great, peds experience is at level 1 trauma, PICU experience off service also good, thinking of starting cc fellowship, small cohort year to year, friendly, likely will learn spanish, Miami, good mentor ship, daycare on site. We have "family" in the area and that's a huge plus for us. I enjoyed the faculty a lot. Connection with current AAEM president and will likely be able to make fellowship wherever I want. Cafe con leche.

Cons: Slow summer season, cost of living. Medical director is a bit intense.

6) FL- Aventura Hospital
Pros: Super nice faculty, PD CCM training and experience, strong fellowship placements so far but they have to work for it, good location, tight knit resident community, free food, free parking, mentorship model is cool (family style), Tuesday nights off at least first year for protected conference time. Also, cuban food.

Cons: Slow summer season, 12 hour shifts, HCA program, smaller hospital (400 beds), fast track work as a resident,, COL, lots of off service first year, away for peds month in a hotel

7) SC- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center Program
Pros: It seems like the PD really wants this program to be great and has recruited a lot of very talented people who are in the area to stay, the residents were really great, food was phenomenal, free breakfast and lunch at the hospital, very busy ED, close to the beach with affordable COL. Family friendly, organized. Beach food.

Cons: No critical care fellowship opportunities there, may set up well for one outside, but that means moving after three years. HCA. New program.

8) LA- Louisiana State University (New Orleans)
Yes this is on here twice. Not a mistake. This is my EM/IM ranking for the program.

Pros: Same as above, but for EM/IM the pros are that it's tight knit resident wise, great training, 6/6 split training, no supertern year,

Cons: No direct path to EM/IM unless I want to spend my whole life in training. I'd prefer to never go past PGY5/6, and the thought of having to go onto 7/8 is just too much. If this was EM/IM/CCM 6 year program it'd be #1 no doubt about it.

9) NC- Campbell University/Cape Fear Valley Medical Center
Pros: Residents were great, really seemed to like being trailblazers, didn't seem overworked, decent perks, admin listens to them, huge volume and very excited to build programs in the area, possible CC fellowship in the works a couple years out. Huge volume and exposure to a lot of really sick people. Proximity to Ft. Bragg and military style injuries.

Cons: 4 years, not graduated a class yet, osteopathic focus is unfortunate (and I say this as a DO), new program. Fayetteville is ROUGH.

10) PA- St. Luke's Bethlehem
Pros: The nicest residents on the trail so far, very nice and all get along well, many with families and kids. Attendings seem to be eager to teach and very focused on seeing residents succeed. Level one trauma. Access to critical care residency in house. 1.5 hours to philly and NYC. An hour to the mountains for skiing/snowboarding. Child care available on site/nearby; also sick kids in day care can be watched for $25 bucks a day. Third largest area in PA.

Cons: this is just too far from home. If it was less than 12 hours maybe it'd stand a shot but too far is too far. A little quiet in bethlehem and not really the biggest volume.

11) PA- Albert Einstein Healthcare Network Program
Pros: Very busy hospital for the area and location, busiest in Philly, #1 trauma in state, 3/3/3 schedule, Peds at CHOP (#1 in USA), family system mentoring but residents didn't get much benefit so really tbd, great fellowship placement for grads (seem to get what they want), good reputation, 40 year program, nice PD, goes to bat for residents.

Cons: This is the first program on my list where I'm not sure I'd be so happy to match. It's far, expensive, and Philly just really isn't our place. The residents seemed really overworked, tired, and there's no good reason for this program to be four years for any reason whatsoever. High COL.

12) MS- Merit Health Wesley (Hattiesburg)
Pros: Really good cost of living, residents are nice, theres a lot of moonlighting opps, medium acuity, transfer center, access to fitness with pool, sauna, gym and classes, food is always accessible, coffee shop in hospital, good graduated responsiblity system: on your own training, "battle ready" fourth year; pd said there may be opportunities to moonlight as CC doc, college town. Brett Farvre seen on the reg on the bike path.

Cons: This place just really has no bells and no whistles. It's just as plane jane as can be, 4 years, in the middle of nowehere MS, with no direct or easy path to fellowships. It's at the bottom only because it doesn't really have much to offer us other than the standard of everywhere else. It really wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

Programs You Applied To:
Gosh, a lot. Originally around 70, ended up with only 4 IVs late october, panicked and added more, ended up getting a rest of invites from original group plus one or two from added ones.

Rowan, St. Vincents PA, Robert Guthrie

I was waitlisted at U Louisville but never got off unfortunately, not sure where to list that so I put it here.

All those listed above

None

Man lol. A friggin lot. Off the top: UNC (lol thank goodness), Orlando health (also lol at the non cc'd rejection not rejection rerejection late half-apology email train), wake forest, UT murfreesboro, U Penn, Northwestern, some texas ones, some chicago ones, and so on. Mostly it was a bunch of silence from everywhere. What a ride.

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/260's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/Honors/Honors
Med School Region: West Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: volunteering and organized medicine work centered around a niche interest. various hobbies

Main considerations in making this ROL: in no order: urban location, interesting cities, proximity to friends/family, resident vibes, support for my niche interest, availability of outdoor activities, fellowship opportunities, program prestige

1) NJ- Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Pros: Strong 3 year program basically in Philadelphia, a city with almost everything I'm looking for. Program chair with very active leadership role, obviously dedicated to residents and patients. Hyperbolic humanitarian commitment seemed to define this program. Lots of on-shift teaching. Explicit support for niche interests. Hospital catches patients from very broad demographics. EM program is acknowledged as strongest in hospital.

Cons: Lots of shifts/month without circadian scheduling. Not sure about the urgent care shifts. Separate trauma rotation

2) CO- Denver Health
Pros: Legendary name with obviously very strong training and serious humanitarian angle. Great outdoor activities in Denver. Residents seemed quirky, active, and interesting. Two training sites with very different populations. Feel as though I would be able to practice anywhere after training here.

Cons: 4 years. Lots of shifts/month. No friends or family in area. I don't ski.

3) LA- Louisiana State University (New Orleans)
Pros: Strong program in the most interesting city in the country. Nascent social medicine program seems very promising. Quirky, cool residents. Family/friends in the area.

Cons: 4 years. No circadian scheduling. Could only go on so many swamp hikes before it got old. Concerned about name recognition in other states and not sure I could live in New Orleans forever.

4) NY- NYU School of Medicine
Pros: Another strong program with humanitarian bend. Legendary faculty. New York is sort of cool. Split training sites offer broad experience

Cons: 4 years. Very little support system in area. High COL. Limited trauma exposure

5) CA- Stanford
Pros: Good name recognition and lots of resources to explore niches. Close to Bay Area where I have support systems. Great outdoor access. Highest resident salary might offset COL.

Cons: 4 years. Palo Alto is boring. Not convinced Stanford resources translate into great EM training. Felt a little pretentious vibe. Minimal training at county site.

6) PA- Albert Einstein Healthcare Network Program
Pros: In Philly. Training seems adequate. Diverse patient population. Great US training

Cons: 4 years, shifts start as 12s and slowly reduce, residents did not seem enthusiastic about program

7) NY- New York- Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Pros: 3 years. Brooklyn's alright. Training seems adequate. Residents were enthusiastic. Great US training.

Cons: Not much support in area. Working 12s throughout. Trauma exposure seems limited.

8) OR- Oregon Health & Science University Program
Pros: 3 years. PNW has a lot to offer. Training seems adequate. Enthusiastic leadership

Cons: Issue with residents getting enough deliveries. High COL, long commute, issues with parking. No support system in area

9) CA- UC San Diego
Pros: The beach. Some support systems in area. Training seems adequate

Cons: 4 years. Not a fan of the culture of San Diego. Didn't seem like there were opportunities for my niche interest

10) FL- Jackson Memorial (Miami)
Pros: 3 years. The beach. Adequate training. Residents were very fun. Opportunity to develop medical Spanish

Cons: No support in area. Very limited opportunities for my niche interest. New program. Lots of commuting

11) OH- Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program
Pros: 3 years. Adequate training. Split sites offers broad training experience

Cons: No support in area. Do not think I'd enjoy living in Cleveland. Limited opportunities for my niche.

Anything else to add?
Gut feeling played a huge part in my ranking

Programs you applied to:
I don't feel like listing all this out, but I applied to about 60 programs, obviously very geographically broadly, mostly to mid-upper-tier programs and ones in urban areas. I received 12 interview invites and I think 8 waitlist invites which I never got off of

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/270's (USMLE)
AOA: Yes
Anything else that made you more competitive: honored all classes/clinicals, lots of research and teaching experience, prior graduate degree, class leadership + extracurriculars/volunteer

Main considerations in making this ROL: fit & feel, location, partner's opinion & his ability to find a job, academic > county/community, job/fellowship placement

1) MA- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham & Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Undeniable resources at a powerhouse academic institution. Leaders training leaders. Intern bootcamp month. Chance to learn medicine from some of the greatest during off service rotations. Have a strong interest in medical education so this was a great fit for me. Interest academies for specialty exploration. Learn how to be a badass doc PLUS be a leader. High acuity at MGH. Amazing job placement. Surprisingly down to earth residents.
Cons: mostly Boston COL would like to see more female leadership. Eye and Ear institute pulls a lot of the eye/ear complaints out of the ED at MGH

2) CO- Denver Health
Yes it’s true: legendary program. Love the city of Denver and so does my partner. This program has a significant amount of time at the academic UC ED as well as Denver Health. This really sold it for me. Brand new ortho rotation at Winter park where they’ll give you housing for a month. 1st and 2nd year residents that I met were super cool. Awesome leadership. Excellent job placement. Love the idea of having neonatal resus and OBGYN as 4th year rotations so they’re fresh for when you’re on your own.
Cons: some of the 4th years seemed a little burnt out to me. I can’t really tell what this is from. I know there have been a lot of curriculum changes that they didn’t get to fully benefit from, plus some of the members of the 4th year class left, leaving the rest to pick up those shifts. Why do they only have 3 weeks vacation in a 4 year program?
No shift reduction over the 4 years. SIM is probably their weak point. Circadian scheduling doesn’t really allow for a lot of consecutive time off.

3) IL- McGaw of Northwestern University (Chicago)
With Dr. Adams prior role at MGH/BWH, this program feels similar to HAEMR. Trauma at Cook county. Excellent job placement post-residency. Probably the most fun I had at a pre-interview dinner. Again, leaders training leaders. Program is very tied in with the medical school, so lots of chances for UME
Cons: not the most underserved patient population in Chi. Lots of driving to outside hospitals in Lakeshore, Gary, and Cook county. Not my partner’s favorite location

4) RI- Brown University Program
Strong academic institution with great community exposure. Very tied into the medical school so lots of opportunities for teaching. One of the nicest PDs on the trail. Benefits of the living in the NE without the COL. Lots of fellowships at this program so good exposure to various fields. Great female leadership.

5) MI- University of Michigan Health System (Ann Arbor)
This was a surprise for me! I loved the program more than expected. Strong residents with a laid back vibe. I liked the old program director a lot, but I hear the newly appointed PD is also excellent. Great critical care experience. Residents are unionized so they have amazing benefits. Number #1 in emergency department NIH funding, lots of research interests represented here.
Cons: Drive to Flint for county exposure

6) TN- Vanderbilt
Partner likes Nashville as a location so this is higher up on my ROL than it normally would have been. My interview day was incredibly unorganized so I left with a bad impression. However, I know this program has great opportunities in medical education. Lots of fun events in Nashville.

7) IL- University of Chicago
Underserved patient population with high acuity. Dr. Babcock is AWESOME. One of the residents was telling me a story about a traumatic event that happened in the ED and the immediate and unsolicited support of the leadership to allow for a few days off.
Fixed wing flight program is super cool. Seems like all the residents got to travel to amazing locations across the world. Badass for sure.

8) MA- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School
very cool 3+1 curriculum. residents that did the 4th year have done some amazing things. Best food at the pre-interview dinner on the trail.
Cons: again boston COL is crazy high. Definitely do not love the million sites they rotate through. Lots of commuting in a city that's expensive to have a car

9) OH- University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
I'm so sad to have ranked Cinci this far down. This program is perfect, but the mandatory (I asked on my IV, they said it's mandatory) helicopter program was a deal breaker for me.
A historic program that truly lives up to its name, but with a laid back vibe. They have been churning out future PDs, Department Chairs, and have incredible job/fellowship placement.
Amazing peds experience. Amazing clinical training in the SRU. streamlined curriculum. Seriously badass. Such an easy stress free interview process with the hotel provided and shuttles to dinner and interview. Wish this had worked out.

10) CT- Yale New Haven

Another strong academic program. Strong SIM. excellent research opportunities.
cons: New Haven. It's not the worst city, but not exactly what we're looking for.

11) UT- University of Utah Program
AMAZING outdoor activities. This is definitely my best "wellness" program. I would be very happy living here with easy access to the mountains. Residents and leadership seem chill.
Cons: SLC is not the most diverse city. Absolutely not a knife and gun club. One interviewer mentioned they see roughly one GSW per month. Would be higher on my list if I was more interested in community medicine.

12) NC- University of North Carolina
I liked the PD. Residents were really nice. Nice curriculum with great community training.
The whole NP/PA situation is weird. Chapel Hill isn't super diverse, but seems like a nice place to live with Durham & Raleigh nearby

13) NC- Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Wake Forest is felt similar to UNC but with a more academic flair. Very little off-service time. Winston-Salem is small and if I'm going to move to NC, I'd rather go to UNC to live in the triangle of CH-Durham-Raleigh

14) IN- Indiana University School of Medicine
Indiana is an excellent program that does not deserve to be this low. My partner’s opinions forced it lower than it deserves to be. Excellent 3 year program with circadian scheduling, great resident benefits. Amazing clinical experience in academic and county settings. Awesome faculty. COL low. Strong residents. Beautiful county hospital.

15) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
I wish I vibed with this program. I remember thinking in my interview day that I just wanted to go home. 4 year program that works HARD. Tons and tons of months with call. Lowest salary in Chicago. Yes Cook county is badass, but you rotate on Cook trauma if you match at NW or UChicago. I’d be happier at either of those programs so Cook fell on my list. Just didn’t mesh here. I knew others that loved it so maybe it was just me??

Boston Med Center, Duke, George Washington, Hennepin, Georgetown, WashU, UT- Austin

Explicit rejections: NC- Carolinas Medical Center Program & PA- UPenn
Ghosted by Baylor, UTSW, Temple

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/270's (USMLE)
Med School Region: East Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Large amount of mentoring/volunteer work as well as research (for EM at least). Life experience having wife and son in elementary school (felt as if this helped relating to attendings during interviews/making small talk)

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location near Philly

1) PA- Temple
Pros: Great volume and autonomy given to residents. Super busy ED with a lot of various types of trauma. Residents have good rapport with each other and attendings, and definitely fit the "work hard/play hard" mold. Shifts are 9-10 hours for interns, 8 hours for seniors. Love Philly as a city. EM is well-respected at the hospital and administration sticks up for the residents. Program leadership is super down-to-earth and friendly.

Cons: Busy ED could likely lead to higher risk of burnout (though this is helped by the shorter shift lengths and good relations with fellow residents/attendings). Patient population is mainly low socioeconomic status African American with little diversity outside of this, though the pathology is good. Not quite as much resident-med student teaching (something I am interested in doing during residency). Main ED doesn't see Peds patients so a few shifts every month are done at Peds hospital (CHOP/St. Christopher's).

2) PA- Crozer-Chester Medical Center Program
Pros: Good patient diversity with urban/suburban/rural patient populations. Community feel with some higher level facilities (burn ICU, DuPont peds, Neuro ED, etc.). Residents seemed happy. Scheduling changes from year to year and is voted on by residents, but only interns and 3rd years cover nights so 2nd years don't have any night shifts during ED months. Overall scheduling sounded pretty chill. Young faculty that seems excited about continuing to build program. EM seems to be well respected at the hospital. Love Philly and the Philly suburbs around the hospital.

Cons: Team Health recently took over so some faculty turnover and changes. Schedule making did seem somewhat weird with the voting system. PD was meh. Crozer doesn't have a great reputation as a health system in the Philly area.

3) PA- St. Luke's Bethlehem
Pros: Really got along well with the residents and the attendings all seemed really nice and care about the residents. PC is great. Good clinical teaching and autonomy. Seem very focused on wellness. Would definitely see myself being happy here and still think I would get good training.

Cons: Location isn't great. ED volume/# of residents ratio seems low when compared to other programs with similar volumes or # of residents (though talking with rotators they said volume wasn't an issue). Wasn't a huge fan of the PD as much as others seem to be (seemed like a car salesman type). Trauma seems like a lot of "old people on blood thinners".

4) PA- Lehigh Valley Health Network/University of South Florida College of Medicine Program
Pros: Good teaching both from attendings and senior residents. Really good ICU training and Toxicology exposure. Good facilities and expanding the ED.

Cons: 4 year program. Location isn't great. Program leadership seemed very formal and "down to business" more than friendly with the residents. EM not involved in trauma at the main hospital (sounds like they will now be involved in secondary hospital).

5) PA- Reading Hospital Program
Pros: Great facilities and attendings seem excited about program. Tower Health has a lot of resources. Residents have a lot of say in enacting change.

Cons: Newer program that still seems to be going through growing pains. Seems like it has a lot of potential once they get through those. Did not get to interact with many residents so couldn't get a great idea of the general "vibe".

6) PA- Wellspan York
Pros: Great facilities and residents/faculty were welcoming and seemed to get along. Circadian shift schedule which I prefer. No anesthesia residents so a lot of airway experience. Good opportunities for teaching medical students. Program seems to have a lot of resources.

Cons: Location is kind of middle of nowhere. Peds floor month rather than Peds ICU. Didn't connect with the residents as much as other programs, though they seemed like good people.

7) PA- Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program
Pros: Got along with residents and faculty seem to support residents. Good clinical teaching and shift schedules (9 hours). On campus housing is available. Seemed to have good Peds training and community medicine opportunities. Good opportunities for teaching medical students.

Cons: Location is kind of middle of nowhere. A lot of "old people fall on blood thinners" trauma. Had an issue with board pass rates a few years ago (enacted changes to help with that). Some inter-departmental friction between services according to one attending.

8) PA- Geisinger Health System Program
Pros: Good clinical teaching and supportive attendings. Residents got along well with each other and seemed happy. Good opportunities to teach medical students. Decent diversity of pathology.

Cons: Location is incredibly rural and middle of nowhere. Lower ED volume. Somewhat of a "bro" atmosphere among the residents. Very inbred program with most attendings having graduated from the program (could possibly lead to lack of outside ideas).

9) NJ- Hackensack University
Pros: Strong wellness emphasis. The residents seemed happy and attendings seem supportive. Good schedule and teaching opportunities with new med school. Well-respected hospital system.

Cons: Trauma experience seemed weaker. Sounded like a lot of calling specialists as most of the patient population is more well-off and are coming into the ED after being referred from their doctor to see a specialist in the hospital. Really not a fan of the NYC suburbs and cost of living, which is a large reason why it is towards the bottom of my list.

10) NJ- Atlantic Health (Morristown)
Pros: Residents got along well with each other and seemed well supported by faculty. Good cheaper housing options considering the cost of living.

Cons: Schedule has a lot of 12 hour shifts which I am not a fan of. Residents seemed to really like to party, which while I do enjoy I also have a family so it felt like I was at a different stage in life than many of them. Really not a fan of the NYC suburbs and cost of living which is a large reason why it is towards the bottom of my list.

11) NJ- Inspira Health Network (Vineland)
Pros: The brewery at the pre-IV dinner was good?

Cons: Honestly this was the only program I interviewed at where I felt like the education was sub-par and that I wouldn't be happy there. Only ranked because I felt it was a slight step up from SOAPing. There is no trauma that comes in to the main hospital site. Trauma is done at Christiana (which is good), but not seeing trauma the rest of the time seems bad for learning. A lot of off service rotations are not at the main hospital. New Inspira hospital being built that looked nice, but told "yeah, residents will NOT be rotating there". Shifts are 12 hours and residents seemed stressed/overworked. One of the chiefs in particular seemed to resent fellow residents. I didn't get along at all with the residents or faculty. Interviews were all panel-style and very awkward. Not a fan of "rural" South Jersey location.

Anything Else To Add?
Overall my list is largely based on my Philly location preference. Education-wise I felt like Temple stood above the rest in terms of training, then all the others were pretty good with some strengths and weaknesses, and then Inspira was clearly below the rest. I feel like most EM programs give pretty good training without huge differences, so it really comes down to fit and what your priorities are.

Programs you applied to:
23 total programs around the Philadelphia/North East region. The ones above as well as Einstein Philly, Christiana Care, Cooper, Jefferson Health Northeast, Johns Hopkins University, Newark Beth Israel, Rowan SOM/Jefferson Health/Our Lady of Lourdes, Rutger NJ Medical School, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Sidney Kimmel Medical College TJUH, St. Joseph's University, University of Pennsylvania

N/A

Check ROL

N/A

Johns Hopkins University, University of Pennsylvania, Cooper

270 on step 2 and you're ranking Crozer #2? That place is garbage, I hope you don't match there.

270 on step 2 and you're ranking Crozer #2? That place is garbage, I hope you don't match there.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah completely blown away by that rank. I don't think HCA even gets as bad a rep as that dumpster fire.

Also, that paragraph of Abrazo is really undersold. An attending said go anywhere else? Yikes. Biggest red flag you can have. The midlevel apprenticeship is just the icing on the cake. Hopefully they have to soap.

Interesting to see John Peter Smith (JPS) again has poor reviews here and on the spreadsheet. Heard quite a lot of unpleasant info about the program this year from both rotators and interviewees while on the trail. Malignant attendings, minimal teaching on shift, not much job placement help to some upper levels residents etc. I remember they also got hit hard a couple of years ago in the "where did you have a great EM rotation" thread. As a former Texan with family still in that area, this is sad to see. The acuity and volume is definitely there, so not sure why they are not doing better. What is going on over there?

Interesting to see John Peter Smith (JPS) again has poor reviews here and on the spreadsheet. Heard quite a lot of unpleasant info about the program this year from both rotators and interviewees while on the trail. Malignant attendings, minimal teaching on shift, not much job placement help to some upper levels residents etc. I remember they also got hit hard a couple of years ago in the "where did you have a great EM rotation" thread. As a former Texan with family still in that area, this is sad to see. The acuity and volume is definitely there, so not sure why they are not doing better. What is going on over there?

Interviewed there last year. Really wanted to rank it first, but everything was true. The residents were really weird and the PD made it seem like a huge burden to interview people and he was generally really off putting. Had another really unpleasant interaction with a different faculty member on same day as well. One of the medical students there on my interview day matched there and he was the most unpleasant person I met on the trail. I remember him leaving that day saying that he probably won't rank them at all, talking crap about the place. Maybe they just attract a certain type of person.

9) OH- University of Cincinnati Medical Center/College of Medicine Program
I'm so sad to have ranked Cinci this far down. This program is perfect, but the mandatory (I asked on my IV, they said it's mandatory) helicopter program was a deal breaker for me.
A historic program that truly lives up to its name, but with a laid back vibe. They have been churning out future PDs, Department Chairs, and have incredible job/fellowship placement.
Amazing peds experience. Amazing clinical training in the SRU. streamlined curriculum. Seriously badass. Such an easy stress free interview process with the hotel provided and shuttles to dinner and interview. Wish this had worked out.

What is it about the helicopter experience that turns you off? I thought ACGME rules stated it had to be optional

Always a shame to see. One of the overlooked aspect of residency recruiting. You can have a lot going for you, but if your student rotation is poorly run, it can kill you with recruiting. So easy to fix too, hire the right APD or clerkship director to really put time and effort into the students, and you could turn it around in a year. The malignant attendings... now that's a bigger and harder thing to fix.

What is it about the helicopter experience that turns you off? I thought ACGME rules stated it had to be optional

From what I recall from the interview it was presented as mandatory. Have you ever ridden in a helicopter before? It can be an absolutely miserable experience for someone who gets motion sickness. HEMS also does not have the greatest safety record, either. I know that Cincy has state-of-the-art choppers and takes safety seriously, but it likely is only a matter of time before an accident does occur.

I think it would be a neat experience but most areas of the country do not employ flight docs. The value of flying 80 missions probably only comes into play if you plan to stay on as faculty at Cincy or any of the other few locations that have such an established HEMS program.

Interviewed there last year. Really wanted to rank it first, but everything was true. The residents were really weird and the PD made it seem like a huge burden to interview people and he was generally really off putting. Had another really unpleasant interaction with a different faculty member on same day as well. One of the medical students there on my interview day matched there and he was the most unpleasant person I met on the trail. I remember him leaving that day saying that he probably won't rank them at all, talking crap about the place. Maybe they just attract a certain type of person.

Wow. Not sure why some programs fail to understand how their actions lead to bad PR that can tank them. These threads get thousands of views, not to mention word of mouth.

Last edited:
Wow. Not sure why some programs fail to understand how their actions lead to bad PR that can tank them. These threads get thousands of views, not to mention word of mouth.

Yep. Sometimes programs are just so blind to public perception and how interconnected the world is now. Part of having a good rotation or interview experience is having pride in what you do and wanting to have a good experience for the student. But the other half of that is basic marketing how you are as a program. You can't treat people like garbage and expect them to believe you treat your residents well.

Reactions: 4 users

The worst part is that they will blindside you with a bad SLOE. My mid-rotation feedback with the APD was, "You're doing great. Your post shift evals have had only positives things on them. Keep up the good work." I wish I knew that was secret code for mid 1/3.

It's really my fault though... I should have listened to their resident at ACEP who told me not to rotate there. Seriously, she told me "Don't rotate here." I don't know why I didn't listen because that's a huge red flag.

It all worked out though. I'm so happy where I matched and couldn't imagine training anywhere else.

The worst part is that they will blindside you with a bad SLOE. My mid-rotation feedback with the APD was, "You're doing great. Your post shift evals have had only positives things on them. Keep up the good work." I wish I knew that was secret code for mid 1/3.

It's really my fault though... I should have listened to their resident at ACEP who told me not to rotate there. Seriously, she told me "Don't rotate here." I don't know why I didn't listen because that's a huge red flag.

It all worked out though. I'm so happy where I matched and couldn't imagine training anywhere else.

Ahem.

This is why SLOEs suck and why we need a STEP1 with cojones.

No objectivity? No way.

Ahem.

This is why SLOEs suck and why we need a STEP1 with cojones.

No objectivity? No way.

idk, a middle 1/3 isnt a bad sloe. You can still have all positive reviews and still be middle 1/3. Especially at a competitive place. You mention step 1. For example, consider a place that puts an emphasis on boards. You rotate there with a step 1 in the middle of the pack, have a solid rotation, and they give you a middle 1/3 bc thats where your boards slot you.

That isnt that uncommon. Ive seen many sloes that list boards or an end of rotation exam, two objective measures, as the reason someone isnt going to be ranked higher.

Has anyone’s school canceled match day or banned guests from attending due to corona?

yup, cancelled, but my school is ass so doesnt surprise me
Such an important day in medical school, it really sucks that this is happening. Honestly, I was looking forward to match day more than graduation.

I really could do without the SOAP reminder emails every 2 days, Does soap ever really work ? Just really hoping to match in my top 3 even though it seems most people last year ended up with like #5 o_O

I really could do without the SOAP reminder emails every 2 days, Does soap ever really work ? Just really hoping to match in my top 3 even though it seems most people last year ended up with like #5 o_O

Don't over 80% of applicants match in their top 3?

idk, a middle 1/3 isnt a bad sloe. You can still have all positive reviews and still be middle 1/3. Especially at a competitive place. You mention step 1. For example, consider a place that puts an emphasis on boards. You rotate there with a step 1 in the middle of the pack, have a solid rotation, and they give you a middle 1/3 bc thats where your boards slot you.

That isnt that uncommon. Ive seen many sloes that list boards or an end of rotation exam, two objective measures, as the reason someone isnt going to be ranked higher.

I don't know. The thing that surprised me the most being on the other side is how useless the SLOE is. I got more from the LoRs personally. Maybe you just get lucky but everytime I interviewed this year and read the SLOEs the comments were incredibly generic across the board from top tier and middle tier places. They were all almost overwhelmingly positive. The only thing that was even remotely truthful was the question that said where they plan to rank the student.

I don't know. The thing that surprised me the most being on the other side is how useless the SLOE is. I got more from the LoRs personally. Maybe you just get lucky but everytime I interviewed this year and read the SLOEs the comments were incredibly generic across the board from top tier and middle tier places. They were all almost overwhelmingly positive. The only thing that was even remotely truthful was the question that said where they plan to rank the student.
For context, I also participated this year as a chief. I basically ignored LoRs because I assume you only ask people who write good things about you. I also saw what GamerEMdoc saw and some SLOEs were glowing, but ranked them lower or middle 1/3 based on Step 1 scores. As long as I am not worried about their academic ability based on the rest of the app, I care much more about my ability to work with them day to day and what they bring to the program than I do a step score. Then again, I’m not faculty.

While I do agree that most SLOEs are useless and programs are not putting the time in that is needed, I did notice that when I compared two SLOEs from the same place often times one was detailed while the other was not. I still think you are right in pointing out that SLOEs need more attention when writing them than most places give them, but we can gain some info when comparing them to each other from the same place.

Ultimately, the concept of a SLOE is good, but it still needs some work and if we are going to use it for competitiveness, the applicant needs to know something about what is in it or we can’t blame them for applying too broadly.

every day as match approaches I get less and less confident I will match lol

Oh you’d be surprised. We were just told in an email today that if we didn’t log into a financial advising webinar that we would not get our diplomas.

Similarly we were told if we didn't buy $179 online course on medical billing and ethics we would not receive our diploma.. they couldn't work that into the 40k tuition

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 230's/230's (USMLE) 600's/625's (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Unsure/Unsure/Unsure
Med School Region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: GHHS, volunteer/school involvement?

Main considerations in making this ROL: Fit, happiness, couples match with SO, alum network

1) MA- UMMS Baystate
Pros: This program is fantastic with quality training (Level 1, sick patients, longitudinal peds, diversity, etc), and amazing residents and faculty. Run trauma every other day which is fair and ample opportunity for procedures. The PD really cares about his residents and wants this program to be a supportive family (Same goes for all the faculty there). Dr Osborne really would make for a great boss. They couldn’t care less what kind of scores or stats you have and are genuinely looking for hard workers, humble learners, and team players. They value work-life balance tremendously and have really solid didactics and conferences. Lots of really sick patients here with a lot of opportunity for procedures. Great fellowship opportunities. Well known alumni and faculty involved with ACEP and FOEMED. Feel like I would be supported in any/ all of my endeavors and they would make it happen. Strong family feel. Low COL with solid resident salary. Felt like I would work so hard and have a blast here as well. Hospital is just filled with happy, helpful, and wonderful people who love to teach/help. Both SO and I felt like this program was a great fit for us!

Cons: Springfield is dumpy and I have no family/friends closeby (though people live in other areas that seem to be nice with lots of outdoor activities). There is hiking, skiing, good food scene and big cities not too far away. Some residents noted they would like more community experience (quick pace, Rapid turnover, bread and butter acute injury/illness) because they are so good with really sick Baystate patients that they almost struggle with the simple stuff. Some felt their ortho procedures were lacking.

2) AZ- U of A Tucson (South Campus)
Pros: FACULTY!!! I really loved the faculty and leadership here. I second whoever posted that Dr Stoneking is a goddess among others faculty that do pretty incredible things in the EM world! This was my number 1 (I love global health, underserved Spanish-speaking populations, and fellowship opportunities/tracks offered here) but went to number 2 because of my SO. I loved the fusion of community and academic training and had great vibes at the pre-interview dinner. Residents seem happy, intelligent, and passionate. Tucson offers me more support in the things I love to do and is closer to home. Alumni network is outstanding and lots of opportunity and support to support your future goals. Low COL.

Cons: ED was a little run down. Don’t quite understand the trauma relationships. Summers bleh. Probably tons of Spanish which may turn some people off and slow the ED pace.

3) AZ- Maricopa
Pros: Great county program with all the zebras! Hospital really seems to value the EM departments. Residents were bad*** and seemed to be so happy to be part of the program. I felt like I would fit in well with them (seem have a younger crowd, likes to go out, extroverted) PD really cares about the residents and evolving the program to create trailblazers in the field. He comes off quirky which may be polarizing, but it’s right up my alley. Didactics were very engaging and helpful. I feel like you would be very well prepared coming out of this program with a big network. Phoenix would be a blast! Would have been my 1 or 2 if not for SO.

Cons: some concerns about the scheduling/ nights but it’s all changing per resident feedback. Phoenix summers.

4) IL- Loyola University (Maywood)
Pros: Dr Snow really sells this place and everyone is super enthusiastic about this program. It’s a well established institution so plenty of funding and opportunities to evolve in your niche. Great female leadership as well with a strong social mission as well! Seem to value wellness and one of the most interesting pre-interview dinners I’ve been to (whirlyball... definitely my first). Obviously Chicago has great pathology and I feel like it would be a wonderful place to train. For as new as it is.... incredibly impressed and responsive to residents. They value diversity within the program as well which is great. Would have support here as well!

Cons: Newer program.... obviously more kinks to sort through. No alumni network. Unsure of relationship with other specialties and residency programs/ compete for procedures?

5) NE- University of Nebraska Medical Center Program
Pros: Really wonderful residents who seem to love the program! PD definitely has a coach mentality which I love! Nebraska has all of the things And is top notch in training... resources, funding, fellowship opportunities, trauma, etc. This program brings in people from all areas of the country. Midwest would be easy livin (low COL, easy to get around, etc).

Cons: Omaha is super segregated and is kind of a white Midwest bubble but also was pleasantly surprised when visiting because it’s becoming more progressive and “trendy”. SO didn’t have interviews close by.

6) DE- Christiana
Pros: Christiana is an amazing place for EM training and is a really well respected department. Faculty and residents are extremely involved on a national level and they can really build their dream job. No sales tax!

Cons: Delaware. Just didn’t seem to click quite as well with the residents and had a strange vibe. Not for me or my SO but would still be happy here!

7) NV- Sunrise
Pros: Honestly don’t have bad things to say about this program and think it’s a hidden gem. People may be turned off by HCA/newer program, but I think it creates great community docs in an area with some crazy pathology. Sites at a level 1 (Sunrise) and community (Mountain View) (about 30/70) and they are trying to be 50/50 one day. Residents were very smart and fun to interact with. Didactics hold you accountable (pre-reading) are engaging. Lots of procedures all the time! Las Vegas is a super cool place to live with lots of outdoor activities, great food, nightlife, low COL, no sales tax, etc. PD may come off a little off-putting to some but he is truly brilliant and cares about his residents and loves to challenge them. A few of their faculty are bad*ss and really sincere and well known. Great work-life balance. Have family that lives here. (Switched between ranks 6 and 7).

Cons: the community site is overwhelmed with patients and doesn’t seem to have enough resources, staff, beds, etc. Off service specialties not great. Still newer and evolving. No alum network.

8) MD- University of Maryland
Pros: Level 1 Shock Trauma! I am honestly shocked as to why this program is this low. It’s truly amazing and one of the best around. I was honored to receive an interview invitation here. Training by some of the strongest EM/shock/trauma leaders in the world and lots of exposure to the crazy stuff. Very academic and will get you any fellowship or opportunity you want coming out of it.

Cons: Baltimore ... but honestly no bad things to say about the program itself but I just had this feeling I didn’t belong there. Didn’t mesh with as many residents and they seemed pretty burnt out and overworked (but also proud). Certainly has a mentality of being the best and maybe that’s what turns me off about it but I truly don’t know.

9) CA- St. Joseph's
Pros: Let me just say that they really hit the jackpot with faculty here! Really amazing docs from prestigious, top tier institutions who found this county hospital and discovered it’s potential to be one of the best EM training experiences. I wholeheartedly believe it’s going to be a top program but it is newer. Lots and lots of procedures and seem to be receptive to resident feedback. County vibe with some cowboy EM attending who I feel will make the training worthwhile.

Cons: Stockton. No support In the area or options For SO anywhere nearby. New program and just not for me.

Anything else to add?
Look... I’m an average candidate who didn’t get SLOES from “top tier” programs but I think had really strong SLOEs for busting my butt AND having fun on my SubIs! Couples matching sucks but is doable and you need to hustle (and your partner does too). I received invites from calling, networking,etc. Also, follow your gut and be true to yourself.

Programs you applied to:
Too many to name ... applied to 66

MSU Grand Rapids, Aventura, Kendall regional, Mercy, Jefferson Aria

Mucho

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE) 600's/>700 (COMLEX)
EM Rotations: Honors/Pass

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 240's/250's (USMLE)
EM Rotations: Honors/PF/PF/PF/PF
Anything else that made you more competitive: Prior ED experience, interesting research

Main considerations in making this ROL: Location, 3yr, cohesive resident group, faculty support, acuity

1) SC- Medical University of South Carolina Program
Pros: Happy residents, 1:1 with attendings, global health options, longitudinal peds, level 1 trauma, 12 blocks, EPIC, PD was the best I met on the trail, Charleston is an awesome location, SO happy here, this just “felt” right for me, residents get along great and hang out outside of work

Cons: high COL, no community rotations

2) FL- University of Florida (Gainesville)
Pros: Critical care and peds are longitudinal, great benefits and support, residents get along well, 9 hour shifts during the week and 12s every other weekend (which guarantees 2 weekends off a month), all shifts are in house, EPIC, they recently increased the amount of Gator Bucks for EM residents for food, PD is phenomenal, can moonlight 2nd year, multiple fellowship opportunities

Cons: ED takes the back seat in trauma, 13 blocks a year, transfer heavy, Gainesville is a college town and does not have a major airport

3) GA- WellStar Kennestone Regional (Marietta)
Pros: 1:1 with attendings, 5k food stipend per year, covered parking, brand new 3 story ED coming this spring, concierge service, 2 week elective intern year (flight or hazmat are options), EPIC, ~18 shifts a month, 12 blocks a year, residents seemed happy with workload, procedure month Intern year seems legit, longitudinal peds 3rd year, EPIC, no ortho anesthesia or surgery residencies so procedures are completely unopposed, residents were genuine and helpful on interview day, beautiful hospital, 7th busiest ED in nation, I believe this will be a top program once they are established

Cons: no OBGYN rotation secured yet, new program, PICU rotation 2nd year is in augusta, traffic

4)FL- Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt
Pros: 17 shifts a month ish, residents have plenty of free time, Tuesdays are off, 3 hospitals which range from Level 1 to community settings, longitudinal peds, faculty came from other big residencies and know what they are doing, cool residents, $15 a day for food, beach nearby, major airports close

Cons: newer program, I did not hear great things about Del Ray hospital

5) TX- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
Pros: Parkland hospital took my breath away on the tour, amazing facilities and resources, EPIC, big reputation (Parkland burn formula), good peds exposure, best preinterview dinner on the trail, residents are very chill and easy to get along with, county + academic + community with their various training sites, event medicine at sports games, New Zealand trip 3rd yr, major airport

Cons: consult heavy, move the meat mentality, “boogie county”, lower OB and ortho exposure, not the best location for me, no outdoorsy things to do

6) FL- FSU (Sarasota)
Pros: Unopposed program with only IM residency at hospital, lots of procedures, great community doc training, no nights intern year, PD has started 2 other programs including USF, nice ED, hospital has lots of donors, beach close, great weather, elective each year, you have the opportunity to help shape a new program

Cons: lack of diversity in patient population, everyone seemed over 65, new program, no SIM yet, residents did not seem to like the area, curriculum seemed to just be reading Tintinelli’s through every year

7) SC- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center Program
Pros: happy residents, Level 1 trauma in a community hospital, great for procedures, free food on shift, high autonomy, beach close, nice weather, housing is very affordable, O’Malley (legendary toxicology guy) memorized every students application and asked about it on the preinterview dinner which was very impressive, this was contrary to most interviewers on the trail initially looking at my application as I walked through the door, promising new program, free standing ED experience

Cons: new program, 13 blocks, 12 hour shifts (but may be changing to 10s), smaller town, HCA

8) FL- HCA West Florida GME Consortium Brandon
Pros: tampa is a nice location, plenty of procedures, free standing ED experience

Cons: heavy hours, 12 hour shifts, no trauma in house, not longitudinal for peds, new program, HCA, other applicants seemed to be there because they were interviewing at USF the next day or it was a backup

9) NC- Vidant Health/East Carolina University Program
Pros: Level 1 trauma, ECU provides care for most of east NC so they see tons of pathology, university center in community setting, EPIC, moonlighting 3rd year

Cons: poor inservice exam score per PD, PD was a little off for my taste, none of the interviewers seemed to care, only 2 residents came for the preinterview dinner and they left early, residents did not seem to like it here, there is NOTHING to do in this small town, oral board prep is only once a year also per PD

10) TX- John Peter Smith Hospital (Tarrant County Hospital District) Program
Pros: amazing pathology, volume and procedures are great, food options are good

Cons: residents did not seem happy, high burnout, everything gave off a “malignant” vibe, ED is a dump, I heard from rotators that they did not like it at all here - (attendings were disconnected, rude residents, support staff seemed jaded, residents said they evaluate students basically if they like you or not, cut throat and arrogant, etc), I guess I would rather be here than SOAP?

Wake Forest, UNC, UT-Nashville, Vanderbilt, UT-Austin, Orlando Health
(Waitlisted at USF Tampa)

Applicant Summary:
Board Scores: 250's/260's (USMLE) >700/>700 (COMLEX)
Med School Region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Research, Paramedic, leadership, volunteering

Main considerations in making this ROL: Potential for career/fellowship (Crit care), location, shift schedule, fit

1) NY- SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Pro: rotated here, the name Kings County says it all, reputation, trauma exposure, county setting, clinical skills, location, not all 12s the last 2 years
Cons: nursing, 12s the first 2 years

2) NY- Stony Brook Medicine
Pros: crit care focus, not 12s, exposure to crit care as intern, 3 years
Cons: less fellowship/academic opportunity, location is less than ideal, grad placement is good but not amazing

3) MN- Hennepin
The fact that this is this high despite the fact that it would be a massive disruption in my and my familys life to move right now speaks volumes as to how good of a program this is. If I were single, after my interview day I would have genuinely asked to come back and do a SUB-I in january and email them a love letter. Amazing program, reputation, procedures, trauma, academics, shift schedule. All in one.
Con: location :(

4) IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Similar to above, unfortunately moving is not high on the table right now but would be willing to for this place. Great trauma, probably best grad placement on my list, love chicago, no 12s.
Cons: besides community rotations only trauma for a few months,

5) NY- New York- Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Sleeper hit program on interview day. Didnt see it coming at all. Doing ED TEEs, formal ultrasound attending reads 24/7, probably the best relationship with trauma that I saw + rotations at brookdale
Cons: rep/grad placement is good not great, not much CC fellowship hx, grads arent going to the types of academic centers that I want to (not a bad thing, just not what I'm looking for). 12s years 1 and 3. Was really debating moving this up to #2 for a while for the location + the pros, but ultimately decided not to.

6) NY- Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Staten Island
Pro: I rotated here and they saw the sickest patients of my 3 sub-Is bar none. Interns are very busy in the critical pod. Attendings are hilarious, felt like a great community.
Cons: honestly the rest of the hospital seems to hate the ED sometimes, horrible ICU consultants, horrible cards consultants, the most malignant surgery department I have ever seen (had a co student who went to the school that rotates here 3rd year and he confirmed the malignancy there), on top of that the rep/CC fellowship/job placement isnt what I'm looking for right now. I would very very highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to be in NYC (most residents live in brooklyn right over the bridge). Truthfully if this hospital were anywhere but NYC this would be a much higher regarded program, unfortunately and unfairly overshadowed by the bigger names surrounding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.