Random Words/Terms Review of First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as most of us are approaching to their dedicated study period for step 1, I thought I would start a thread to boost our memorization of First Aid. I am not one of those smart folks with good retention and I need some repetition and time to memorize. So if you guys happen to find some unfamiliar words/terms that strike you, just put those words in this thread and someone can add some explanation. How does this sound? So I will start. (Let's stick to First Aid .)

Cabergoline?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
marfans, ADPCKD, erhlosdanos??
Marfan's - problem with fibrilin-1(World Q), detachment of the retina from the bottom upwards ("looks up at Mars"), long arms, arachnodactyly, think of lanky basketball player, more common in general population than you would think

Ehlers-Danlos - problem with collagen (World Q), stretchy skin, think circus contortionist

Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease - structural problem with kidney, physical effects don't occur until later in life, patient in 50's(World Q? - don't remember the details)

Reactions: 1 users
Marfan's - problem with fibrilin-1(World Q), detachment of the retina from the bottom upwards ("looks up at Mars"), long arms, arachnodactyly, think of lanky basketball player, more common in general population than you would think

Ehlers-Danlos - problem with collagen (World Q), stretchy skin, think circus contortionist

Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease - structural problem with kidney, physical effects don't occur until later in life, patient in 50's(World Q? - don't remember the details)
Do they cause MVP?

Do they cause MVP?
Whoops, didn't see the post behind it. MVP is the #1 cause of of mitral regurgitation, after SBE and collagen diseases..so I would think Ehlers-Danlos would be in there. Marfan's presents with it I think, ADPKD..not sure about it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Another important thing to remember regarding ADPKD is its association with saccular aneurysms.

Yeah whatever pi stands for...

I thought the dissolved salt and stuff also has a oncotic pressure?

Page 529 (FA2015)
bb0ac2aafb12bf5598a8f1c2da21729a.png
The pi stands for oncotic pressure I believe which as stated should be zero (no filtered protein).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also, don't forget fragile X syndrome for MVP.

Erlichiosis--> think rule of ones - Erlich(iosis) Bachman (he's a loner, and if you haven't seen silicon valley shame on you), lone star tick, affects monocytes

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cause of development of carpal tunnel in dialysis-related amyloidosis?
Due to accumulation and tissue deposition of amyloid fibrils consisting of beta2-microglobulin (beta2-m) in the bone, periarticular structures, and viscera.
In pregnancy and hypothyroidism it develops due to fluid retention and swelling.

Last edited:
Using nitroprusside can cause cyanide toxicity, but you use nitrites in cyanide poisoning. Confusing...

Nitroprusside works by binding to hemoglobin to release cyanide, methemoglobin and nitric oxide

And nitrites work in CN poisoning by oxidizing hemoglobin to methemoglobin to form cyanmethemoglobin

What's the high yield info on confidence intervals?
  • narrower interval = more confident
  • More samples = more confident = narrower interval
  • does not include 1 = significant
  • are there any relevant formulas?

Does not include one for RR/HR but does not contain zero for means

If you have two 95% confidence intervals, for example, the narrower interval indicates more precise results, not more confidence (they're both 95% CIs, so confidence is the same). This is a careful distinction to make. Alternatively, if you have a 90% CI versus a 95% CI, the 90% CI provides less confidence.
Increasing the sample size doesn't change the confidence level, but it can increase the precision of your estimate (and narrow the confidence interval for a given confidence level). Same idea as above; confidence does not equal precision when you're using statistical terminology.

I would probably remember that increasing the confidence level widens the confidence interval, assuming all else is constant (99% CI is wider than a 95% CI, for example).

Does not include one for RR/HR but does not contain zero for a difference in means

Also a CI for an odds ratio indicates significance (at the 100%-CI% level) if it doesn't include 1. You can also apply this idea to any question of clinical significance. If they tell you a mean difference of at least 5 is clinically significant, you just need to see if the CI is entirely above 5 (same for any other parameter they're estimating).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah whatever pi stands for...

I thought the dissolved salt and stuff also has a oncotic pressure?

Page 529 (FA2015)
bb0ac2aafb12bf5598a8f1c2da21729a.png

If the salt was filtered hypertonically, that would create a pressure that attracts water. However, it is important to remember that they are filtered isotonically; with a few specific exceptions, sodium and water move together hand in hand.

If the salt was filtered hypertonically, that would create a pressure that attracts water. However, it is important to remember that they are filtered isotonically; with a few specific exceptions, sodium and water move together hand in hand.
Yes I know it's isotonic so NET pressure(of the salts, ignoring proteins) is 0. I think it is wrong to say that BS has no oncotic pressure. It does but it is equal to the pressure from the salt in the capillaries.

It doesnt matter tho... wont show up on a test

High yield smells:

Garlic smell = Arsenic
Almond smell = cyanide
Musty/mousy smell = PKU
Burnt sugar smell = MSUD
Fruity smell = DKA

Can anyone add anymore?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I know it's isotonic so NET pressure(of the salts, ignoring proteins) is 0. I think it is wrong to say that BS has no oncotic pressure. It does but it is equal to the pressure from the salt in the capillaries.

It doesnt matter tho... wont show up on a test

To be probably excessively semantically technical, I looked it up to confirm and oncotic pressure by definition does only refer to pressure exerted by proteins, specifically albumin. Isotonic salt pressure does exert a pressure equal to that within the capillaries, but it wouldn't be an oncotic pressure.

High yield smells:

Garlic smell = Arsenic
Almond smell = cyanide
Musty/mousy smell = PKU
Burnt sugar smell = MSUD
Fruity smell = DKA

Can anyone add anymore?

Fruity smell, especially grape, of sputum or wound can be Pseudomonas

To be probably excessively semantically technical, I looked it up to confirm and oncotic pressure by definition does only refer to pressure exerted by proteins, specifically albumin. Isotonic salt pressure does exert a pressure equal to that within the capillaries, but it wouldn't be an oncotic pressure.
Ahhh I see now...

Osmotic pressure is solutes dissolved into water - I used this word earlier on but that's not what pi is
Oncotic pressure is a type of osmotic pressure, specifically for proteins

High yield smells:

Garlic smell = Arsenic
Almond smell = cyanide
Musty/mousy smell = PKU
Burnt sugar smell = MSUD
Fruity smell = DKA

Can anyone add anymore?

Fishy smell = Bacterial vaginosis
Foul smelling = Trichomonas vaginalis, whereever anaerobs involved and Giardia lamblia poop
Sweet smelling = Pseudomonas

Fishy smell = Bacterial vaginosis
Foul smelling = Trichomonas vaginalis, whereever anaerobs involved and Giardia lamblia poop
Sweet smelling = Pseudomonas

Remember the F's of Giardiasis (or as I prefer, beaver fever): fatty, foul-smelling, and floating feces, transmitted fecal-oral route

• does not include 1 = significant
Correct me if I am wrong, but FA says if the CI is for the mean diff between the 2 variables which includes 0, then there is no significant diff and if CI is looking for OR or RR and includes 1, then it is NOT significant. So it's not just simply about including 1 or not right?

Correct me if I am wrong, but FA says if the CI is for the mean diff between the 2 variables which includes 0, then there is no significant diff and if CI is looking for OR or RR and includes 1, then it is NOT significant. So it's not just simply about including 1 or not right?
u rite.

Mean difference of 0 means no difference

Relative risk of 1 means there is no increased/decreased risk

Two pathologies that are described as "currant jelly?"

Current jelly sputum - common in diabetics and alcoholics - cause - klebsielle
Current jelly stool - intususception in kids and mesenteric ischemia in adults

1. Causes for "hemorrhagic cystitis?"

2. Cause for "punched out" ulcer?

3. Cause for "linear" ulcer?

cyclophosphamide because of metabolite acrolein. Prevent with mesna (has a thiol group), BK virus, adenovirus

benign gastric ulcer+herpes?

cmv (single and superficial, as opposed to mallory weiss)

cyclophosphamide because of metabolite acrolein. Prevent with mesna (has a thiol group), BK virus, adenovirus

benign gastric ulcer+herpes?

cmv (single and superficial, as opposed to mallory weiss)
Dang, BK also causes "hemorrhagic cystitis?" Is that in FA?

Dang, BK also causes "hemorrhagic cystitis?" Is that in FA?
I just remember from sketchy where caeser was stabbed in the kidney by brutus's knife and there was a statue peeing blood behind him. I think it's only in transplant patients

1. Pathologies associated with the description of "Tram Track?"

2. Pathology associated with the mutation of GNAQ gene?

3. Pathology associated with "Ash-leaf spots?"

I just realized why it's called nitroglycerin

The structure is a glycerol backbone like in triglycerides but with 3 NO molecules stuck on it instead of fatty acids

u rite.

Mean difference of 0 means no difference

Relative risk of 1 means there is no increased/decreased risk

If it helps, it's probably easier to remember that it doesn't matter what the confidence interval is estimating to understand statistically significant results. If you have a confidence interval, any value (as a null hypothesis) within that range would be considered nonsignificant at the corresponding significance level. For example, a 95% CI for some parameter is (0.15, 2.2). We don't have enough evidence to conclude that any value within that range is statistically significant at the 5% level. Then, it's up to you to give a clinical meaning to that; i.e. if it's for a relative risk ratio, a mean, a difference in means, or any other parameter that's estimated. So, if this were for a mean, you could say that there is insufficient evidence to conclude the mean is significantly different from 1 ( or 2, or 2.19....) at the 5% level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fibrous dysplasia
I was thinking Mccune Albright. You have fibrous dysplasia (some bone problems), some endocrine problems, and cafe-au-lait spots in Mccune Albright

I confused GNAS with GNAQ (sturge weber) when I answered mudphuxx's question which is why I asked the GNAS question. Now I will never confuse it again and if it shows up on my exam I got an extra question right thanks to mudphux

Cheynes stokes breathing is the aortic stenosis of breathing (crescendo decrescendo breathing pattern)

Cheynes stokes breathing is the aortic stenosis of breathing (crescendo decrescendo breathing pattern)

I feel like a mental connection can also be made between the "pulsus parvus et tardis" of aortic stenosis and the delayed delivery of blood to chemoreceptors in CHF-associated Cheyne-Stokes

I was thinking Mccune Albright. You have fibrous dysplasia (some bone problems), some endocrine problems, and cafe-au-lait spots in Mccune Albright

I confused GNAS with GNAQ (sturge weber) when I answered mudphuxx's question which is why I asked the GNAS question. Now I will never confuse it again and if it shows up on my exam I got an extra question right thanks to mudphux
Also cause pseudohypoparathyroidism and pseudo pseudo.