Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The single thing always got me. I'm sure there are at least a couple of single people that are also going to match at the program. With MIR, they act as if you are more likely to be robbed and stabbed in the face before finding a date or having any enjoyment in St. Louis. I've been there multiple times. If you aren't an idiot, it is a very nice town with plenty to offer.

No! You are wrong! You can only have fun on the coasts!

But to be serious any major city or good college town is going to be halfway decent. There's a difference between having concerns about being single and needing a great nightlife big city experience. Being single =/= needing a NYC or Chicago nightlife.

For me the bigger things that come with location are weather, diversity, outdoor activities, and proximity to family and friends

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully this thread will be more active after 2/22

We will make it more active. Just keep bumping it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yea, I saw that. Chicago programs seem to be a favorite of the AM trolls. Just based on the last month or so, I would say the most trolled programs and the gimmicks that are often used include...

1) NW & UChicago - "low tier programs" and who could forget "Uchicago >>>>>>> >MGH"

Yeah, what's wrong with those people?

2) Duke, Wake, Mayo, insert strong program in BFE location - "nothing to do but mammo in boonies" "you will remain single forever"

Never heard the phrase BFE before, not sure what the point of putting it in Egypt is. Duke's location is fine, Mayo the location is awful but the program makes up for it, Wake is a good program but location is a dealbreaker for me.

3) UTSW vs. anything. - "UTSW > anything "

As bad as the Chicago people. Think they might be the same people, which doesn't make much sense.

4) Emory - "Grady is a hell hole"

To be fair, for people not used to county hospitals it probably is. Still looks nicer than most NYC hospitals.

5) Hopkins, MIR, Penn, etc. - "Your city is a dump" and "heard the PD was disappointed with the caliber of applicants that interviewed there this season. "

Don't know why so much hate for Philly (one of the few real cities out there - stop pretending Boston), but can understand St. Louis and Baltimore. I think this really is a weaker season, so wouldn't be surprised if some PDs are disappointed this year (think that's a statement about the overall pool, not any particular program).

The one, the only, auntminnie med student forums...abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Haha, someone actually quoted that in Italian referring to Harlem Hospital.

Same here, only two more weeks of Derm and then a two week ACLS/other random stuff course left!:)

Only one more real rotation left in med school :)

Done with this sub-I next Friday and then 1 more real one left (outpatient med).

I can taste Match Day and Graduation.

I wish the deadline was here for rank lists, my list is just calling my name.

I have anesthesia, quality and cost effectiveness in surgery, and neuro.

I have a bs required clincal skills type course left and my ai in medicine, thats all :) I took my vacation in May so i could finish early.

2 weeks for ACLS (and other random stuff)? Man, that sounds cush. We had around a week during second year with our other courses going on.

my school puts the 2 day ACLS course in with our ER rotation during the first week.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's been a wild ride the last year and a half. In one month we'll hit the startling conclusion. I am glad I had you guys to talk to all year long, I'd def like to put faces to the names once this is all over and the anonymous BS can end.

Who knows, maybe one or more of us ends up in the same place.. and if not.. we can have an SDN bash at RSNA in a couple of years haha.

it's been a wild ride the last year and a half. In one month we'll hit the startling conclusion. I am glad I had you guys to talk to all year long, I'd def like to put faces to the names once this is all over and the anonymous BS can end.

Who knows, maybe one or more of us ends up in the same place.. and if not.. we can have an SDN bash at RSNA in a couple of years haha.

I've met a few of y'all on the trail but it would be fun to have an SDN bash. Whoever ends up in the best location for intern year should just invite the regulars from here and just tear up the town haha.

Once Feb 22nd rolls around the anonymity doesn't really matter anymore.

I've met a few of y'all on the trail but it would be fun to have an SDN bash. Whoever ends up in the best location for intern year should just invite the regulars from here and just tear up the town haha.

do programs submit their lists on the same day?

Yup. Then the algorithm takes 1 or 2 days max and we wait 3 weeks for no reason lol

Yeah isn't that ridiculous? I wish that we would get our answer immediately instead of waiting for no reason!

The algorithm does not take 1-2 days. It goes sequentially through ~1000 applicants for ~1000 spots, checking each combination against a list. At worst performance it is ~1,000,000 comparisons. It could run on an iPhone in a few minutes.

That's radiology alone of course, but even adding in the rest and complications like couples matching, can't be more than an hour.

The algorithm does not take 1-2 days. It goes sequentially through ~1000 applicants for ~1000 spots, checking each combination against a list. At worst performance it is ~1,000,000 comparisons. It could run on an iPhone in a few minutes.

Yeah I had no idea how long it takes. I just threw out a time that was much shorter than the time we have to wait.

How many times do they run the algorithm to make sure there are no mistakes?

I wonder if they press a single button. One of those dramatic arm in the air slamming down on the key while yelling, "Compute!" type deals. I picture it making the sound from "Press Your Luck" and then it just pops up and says, "IT IS DECIDED!"

Wasn't someone ranking mt sinai Miami prelim highly? Anyone apply to unlv? Haha

My prelims are in Milwaukee and lacrosse so not as desirable but they do have cheap bottle service in mke :)

Wasn't someone ranking mt sinai Miami prelim highly? Anyone apply to unlv? Haha

My prelims are in Milwaukee and lacrosse so not as desirable but they do have cheap bottle service in mke :)

Depending on where I end up for rads there's a decent chance for mt sinai miami.

I received an interview to unlv but couldn't make it. It was probably for the best haha

Depending on where I end up for rads there's a decent chance for mt sinai miami.

I received an interview to unlv but couldn't make it. It was probably for the best haha

"i did prelim at marquee...err unlv"

finally back after 2 months of interviewing. let the waiting game begin. here's to hoping for a hawaii TY!

Haha, you might regret it - the Hawaii TY is supposed to be brutal. What's the point of living in paradise if you never get to see it?

does MIR really expect anyone to fill out that survey before next wed?

Anyone notice that Lincoln Med apparently now has a TY year? Pretty sure that's new. Says it's in the NRMP, but not sure if they added themselves to ERAS.

I also put Mt. Sinai prelim high on my list.

is it safe to reactivate our facebook profiles now if we got rid of em out of paranoia of being monitored?

is it safe to reactivate our facebook profiles now if we got rid of em out of paranoia of being monitored?

Lol.

Now until Match Day is a dead zone. But when programs find out who they got they might start digging again.

I made a whole new profile prior to app season. Old profile went all the way back to college and it was just easier to start fresh.

Lol.

Now until Match Day is a dead zone. But when programs find out who they got they might start digging again.

I made a whole new profile prior to app season. Old profile went all the way back to college and it was just easier to start fresh.

Well once theyre stuck with me that's their problem :p

but i mean as far as them scouting me before decisions are made, that's what i was worried about. Not that I have anything to hide, but every now and then someone would post something stupid on my wall that could look bad out of context.

AM is such a headache to read now.. i dont even try

Yea it sucks that people suck so bad and ruined AM. I wish people were just decent.

Yeah, AM has a ton of dbags.

I might just make a rank list thread here if people are interested.

I think for fun we should post our #1 and #last. No need for a whole list :)

I think it's interesting seeing where people put places, since we all have different reasons for out choices. The problem with AM is I never know what to believe.

I think for fun we should post our #1 and #last. No need for a whole list :)

That makes sense. UCSF/UChicago for me, my full list is on AM under "kingofreviews" if anyone is interested.