Radiology 2012 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(Although fwiw, I did not receive any post-interview contact from NW other then a reply to a thank you email, so I'm not overly optimistic about my chances to land there, but we'll see)

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:[/QUOTE]

Did you get that reply from the PD? He seemed like a nice guy but did not reply to my email. May they did not like me enough!

Members don't see this ad.

(Although fwiw, I did not receive any post-interview contact from NW other then a reply to a thank you email, so I'm not overly optimistic about my chances to land there, but we'll see)

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

Did you get that reply from the PD? He seemed like a nice guy but did not reply to my email. May they did not like me enough!

No, he didn't respond to mine either. It was from the associate PDs. In other words, I don't think they liked either of us :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
UMich made residents pay for the applicants' booze. Residents didn't seem to know about this beforehand though, which made for an awkward moment when the bill came. Yikes.

I'm pretty sure we met, but I don't remember where. I thought it was in January, maybe at one of the east coast programs. Talked about weird things happening on the interview trail/pre-interview dinners and NYU's filling wine to the top after every sip :laugh:

+1. Seems like Brigham, MGH, UCSF, and NW are popular on here and auntminnie. Big surprise lol. Hopefully we get our top choices!

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

Had to be at BWH. That and NYU were my only east coast ones in Jan. Did we sit next to each other at the dinner?

No, he didn't respond to mine either. It was from the associate PDs. In other words, I don't think they liked either of us :laugh:

Lols...I know for a fact that Northwestern calls its top-9 every year and I am not one of those! Lets hope for the best....Just wana match somewhere on my list!

Lols...I know for a fact that Northwestern calls its top-9 every year and I am not one of those! Lets hope for the best....Just wana match somewhere on my list!

i would take all the post interview contact hoopla with a grain of salt b/c we all know that programs go below their top whatever# no matter who we're talking about. best of luck dude, if you wanna be at NW, here's to hoping we're co-residents!

Anyone interview at BWH on 1/24? Trying to put some faces to posters on here.

Less than 2 weeks until we find out if we match :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ME3 is coming out shortly and will be a great pre-match distraction! Also, I never played The Elder Scrolls Series and recently bought Oblivion which should be fun.

I never visited any radiology residency forums ever during my application, interviews and ranking process....visited AM only after submitting my rank list and I feel that it was a right decision. Discussions at AM are extremely stressful. Am I thinking the right way?

Yeah I cant wait for ME3. I havent decided if Im gonna buy it or 'try' it..

I am currently p[laying SWTOR and Amalur

I never visited any radiology residency forums ever during my application, interviews and ranking process....visited AM only after submitting my rank list and I feel that it was a right decision. Discussions at AM are extremely stressful. Am I thinking the right way?

AM can be helpful if used the right way and during the right time.

I used it way before application season to find out more about programs. I don't have a home program so no radiolgy mentors. Pitt is an example of a good program that I hadn't really heard much about previously.

The interview invite thread was helpful to see when interviews went out. I was still stressed out when I didn't have a lot of interviews at the beginning but knowing that most programs I was really interested in weren't going out till later helped out somewhat.

Jan and Feb pre ROL submission AM becomes ridiculous and used it for entertainment purposes only

Found out through the grapevine that I will probably not match at my home program. Anybody had this sort of experience? Any suggestions on how to deal with the disappointment?

Found out through the grapevine that I will probably not match at my home program. Anybody had this sort of experience? Any suggestions on how to deal with the disappointment?

get excited about the other places

How would someone tell you that? That seems weird unless you're at somewhere where there's 30 applicants and you were the lowest ranked of them or w/e.

How would someone tell you that? That seems weird unless you're at somewhere where there's 30 applicants and you were the lowest ranked of them or w/e.

I was told by a colleague that a faculty member said to others that I probably not returning for the radiology program. I interpret that as not being realistically ranked (i.e. lower than the historical lowest ranked position).

I agree with PokerDoc's advice. There are many great programs and you can be happy at multiple places. That's the attitude I'm taking in at least.

I was told by a colleague that a faculty member said to others that I probably not returning for the radiology program. I interpret that as not being realistically ranked (i.e. lower than the historical lowest ranked position).

I see. I actually think that programs are going to slide further on their lists than they have in past years but I agree with other posters, there's a lot of great programs out there.

I think its important for all of us not to get married to the idea of one particular program.. prepare for one of several and find something to be excited about all of them.. that way match day is a positive no matter what.

I think its important for all of us not to get married to the idea of one particular program.. prepare for one of several and find something to be excited about all of them.. that way match day is a positive no matter what.

I agree. Really hoping to stay in my top 6, won't be upset if I drop to 9. Don't want to think about 10-13

I would be happy at my top 6 or so but shouldn't fall past 3 which are almost equal to me.

I love my Top 4....all very exciting for me....and there are exiting things until top 9 of my list but excitement decreases after that so hoping for the best!

I see. I actually think that programs are going to slide further on their lists than they have in past years but I agree with other posters, there's a lot of great programs out there.

I feel the same but just wondering if you have any solid reason for saying that?

I feel the same but just wondering if you have any solid reason for saying that?

PDs have told me apps are down about 20% but the top applicants are applying to more programs. I've seen some people at 8 or more interviews. I think the top programs are all interviewing the same people, so I think for programs march 16 might be a bloodbath... that's good for applicants, though.

PDs have told me apps are down about 20% but the top applicants are applying to more programs. I've seen some people at 8 or more interviews. I think the top programs are all interviewing the same people, so I think for programs march 16 might be a bloodbath... that's good for applicants, though.
Agree. I've heard anecdotally people are interviewing at way more places as well.

Agree. I've heard anecdotally people are interviewing at way more places as well.

I mean, I interviewed at 18; if I could do things all over again I would have interviewed at 13-14 probably.

I think the top programs are all interviewing the same people, so I think for programs march 16 might be a bloodbath... that's good for applicants, though.

This is music to my ears :)

I only interviewed at 10 programs and I feel pretty good about it. I feel like more would've just been a waste of money. I have a couple to a few "mid to lower-tier" programs to help ensure I match (hopefully).
I would be pumped to be at my top 4, pretty excited to be at my top 6, and ok with my last 4.

Sir, why do you think there is a decrease in radiology applicants? I also heard from a program director that there was a 10% decrease in applicants. Continuing trend or a blip in the road?

Sir, why do you think there is a decrease in radiology applicants? I also heard from a program director that there was a 10% decrease in applicants. Continuing trend or a blip in the road?

I think its normal variance. You hear all the horror stories on Aunt Minnie but no one ever talks about it like that in the real world.. I don't think people are really aware of the AM talk when decision time came around last year. I certainly haven't heard of anyone in my class saying i'm not doing Rads because the job market looks bad.

Congratulations to all the people who submitted their lists and are just waiting for the results to come out.

Just had a quick question that those who interviewed this year could maybe shine a lot on...are there certain programs that are more research-focused that will prepare you well for academic life and other programs that are more clinical-focused that will prepare you well for being a clinician wherever? Please educate me if my question makes no sense.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about actually rads programs with those numbers, right? How many transitional or prelim years you interview for? I have a pretty small sample size (n=2), but they both interviewed at 10+ TYs....I will do it if I have to, but the prospect of 25+ interviews just seems exhausting at this point!

I think its normal variance. You hear all the horror stories on Aunt Minnie but no one ever talks about it like that in the real world.. I don't think people are really aware of the AM talk when decision time came around last year. I certainly haven't heard of anyone in my class saying i'm not doing Rads because the job market looks bad.

Uci's chief resident told me their apps were down by 100 people from last year, which is just short of 20%. They're still interviewing the same amount of people. I saw people from the UCI interview at Stanford, MIR, UCLA, and UCSF. Residents talked about the job market being bad on interviews.

Congratulations to all the people who submitted their lists and are just waiting for the results to come out.

Just had a quick question that those who interviewed this year could maybe shine a lot on...are there certain programs that are more research-focused that will prepare you well for academic life and other programs that are more clinical-focused that will prepare you well for being a clinician wherever? Please educate me if my question makes no sense.

The short answer to your question is yes. Super high volume community programs like Baylor-Dallas and high volume academic programs like Mayo, UTSW, and MIR are great training for PP, although you'd certainly be ready for academics from MIR/Mayo. Stanford is an example of an academic focused program that's less good for PP bc of low volume.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about actually rads programs with those numbers, right? How many transitional or prelim years you interview for? I have a pretty small sample size (n=2), but they both interviewed at 10+ TYs....I will do it if I have to, but the prospect of 25+ interviews just seems exhausting at this point!

Yes, rads only. I interviewed at 3 TYs, all in my home state, and 3 prelim surg programs.

The short answer to your question is yes. Super high volume community programs like Baylor-Dallas and high volume academic programs like Mayo, UTSW, and MIR are great training for PP, although you'd certainly be ready for academics from MIR/Mayo. Stanford is an example of an academic focused program that's less good for PP bc of low volume.
Cool, thx. I don't foresee myself becoming some big academic dude. I just wanna work, teach others some stuff, and go home.

On an unrelated note, which programs have you found on the trail to be most competitive? I'm assuming MGH, BWH, most of cali programs, MIR, Penn fit that bill. Any others?

I think I've slowly come to realize that I'm a rads kind of person. And I want to avoid the Northeast and the entire West coast like the plague.

Cool, thx. I don't foresee myself becoming some big academic dude. I just wanna work, teach others some stuff, and go home.

On an unrelated note, which programs have you found on the trail to be most competitive? I'm assuming MGH, BWH, most of cali programs, MIR, Penn fit that bill. Any others?

I think I've slowly come to realize that I'm a rads kind of person. And I want to avoid the Northeast and the entire West coast like the plague.

I don't think MIR is as competitive as the others you mentioned, bc it's a huge program and bc it's in St Louis. I would say UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, BWH, and MGH are the most competitive, followed by Washington (Seattle), Penn, NYU, Cornell, and Duke.

That's good for you because the Midwest, excluding Chicago, and the Southeast are the less competitive regions.

I don't think MIR is as competitive as the others you mentioned, bc it's a huge program and bc it's in St Louis. I would say UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, BWH, and MGH are the most competitive, followed by Washington (Seattle), Penn, NYU, Cornell, and Duke.
cornell and nyu? i guess ppl rly wanna live in nyc...no thx

That's good for you because the Midwest, excluding Chicago, and the Southeast are the less competitive regions.
ya, from chicago, but i hate this city. looks like from location alone...ive knocked off most of the uber-competitive programs in the country, funny how that goes, lol

good luck to you, and all others here, on match day

Uci's chief resident told me their apps were down by 100 people from last year, which is just short of 20%. They're still interviewing the same amount of people. I saw people from the UCI interview at Stanford, MIR, UCLA, and UCSF. Residents talked about the job market being bad on interviews.

Yeah on interviews... but to get to those interviews, you had to apply to rads.. apps are down due to people not applying.. thus.. they never had those conversations with said residents.

Yeah on interviews... but to get to those interviews, you had to apply to rads.. apps are down due to people not applying.. thus.. they never had those conversations with said residents.
It's probably because their medicine attending keeps telling them their job is being exported to India.

I am wondering if rads application are less this year presumably cos of bad job market, which specialties have more applicants than usual this year?