Questions Regarding Army National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwoodds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into options regarding the National Guard. I was doing the 'online chat with AMEDD officer' and he told me to send an email and someone would be in touch with me, so I did but have not heard anything back. Can someone tell me the best way to get in touch with an AMEDD recruiter? This is the email I sent, if you can answer any of these questions that would also be helpful:

I was recently accepted to dental school and have been investigating the MDSSP and HPLRP programs with the ARNG. I’m trying to find more information than what was offered on the web site. I am 41 years old, will be 45 when I graduate dental school. I have seen an age cut-off of 35, is there an exception for dentists? Assuming that I am still eligible, can you answer the following questions?

1. While taking MDSSP, you are expected to do the standard 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year, but are ineligible for deployment, correct?
2. Do you receive standard ARNG pay in addition to the MDSSP during school? What is the total pay?
3. Are you eligible to purchase the Tricare family medical/dental insurance while under MDSSP? If so, what is the cost?
4. If you accept MDSSP, are you not eligible for HPLRP until your commitment for MDSSP has been fulfilled?
5. What type of ‘basic training’ is required for these programs?

Any info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking into options regarding the National Guard. I was doing the 'online chat with AMEDD officer' and he told me to send an email and someone would be in touch with me, so I did but have not heard anything back. Can someone tell me the best way to get in touch with an AMEDD recruiter? This is the email I sent, if you can answer any of these questions that would also be helpful:

I was recently accepted to dental school and have been investigating the MDSSP and HPLRP programs with the ARNG. I’m trying to find more information than what was offered on the web site. I am 41 years old, will be 45 when I graduate dental school. I have seen an age cut-off of 35, is there an exception for dentists? Assuming that I am still eligible, can you answer the following questions?

1. While taking MDSSP, you are expected to do the standard 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year, but are ineligible for deployment, correct?
2. Do you receive standard ARNG pay in addition to the MDSSP during school? What is the total pay?
3. Are you eligible to purchase the Tricare family medical/dental insurance while under MDSSP? If so, what is the cost?
4. If you accept MDSSP, are you not eligible for HPLRP until your commitment for MDSSP has been fulfilled?
5. What type of ‘basic training’ is required for these programs?

Any info is appreciated.
You can find Active Duty and Reserve recruiters at www.goarmy.com. National Guard recruiters you would have to look up for the state you will be going to. I would google search the state and national guard. Then when you find a recruiter ask for a phone number for the officer health care recruiter.

Some of the guys on here have been in the guard and can hopefully answer your other questions.