Army Dental Army National Guard in regards to MDSSP and HPLRP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeroni

Reaction score
I am a new dental graduate and have been in the military for over 10 years now. At the start of dental school I was told I can take MDSSP for a total of 8 years of commitment and then take HPLRP after graduation adding the 6-7 years to my commitment. This is all fine I had planned to stay in the Guard for 20+ years anyway. The problem is now my AMEDD office has had a complete turnover in personnel and now I am being told that I have to finish my 8 year commitment for MDSSP before I can apply for HPLRP for loan repayment; making me pay on my loans for 8 years before they start. This doesn't make since to me since I can not find any regulation stating this and the regulation hasn't changed since I started dental school in 2017. Are there any other dentists that can give advice on this subject or are going through loan repayment in the Guard that used MDSSP as well? I keep this dental specific because it seems that as a physician you have residency and therefore defer loans anyway, so you have little to no payback time to be able to apply for HPLRP if taken the full MDSSP program. I could be wrong about that but I will gladly take any and all advice.

Thank you in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

How do medical students that do not take STRAP have the ability to do HPLRP after residency- when still having MDSSP.

I was told I can do HPLRP after dental school but the year I receive HPLRP will not count towards my MDSSP obligation. This is for the Guard.