questions about the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boarditis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished 2 weeks on urology as part of my surgery rotation and loved it. This is a great field and I cant imagine finding anythign where I love the medicine more. I have a few questions however that I would love insight into.

I have always heard that uro is alifestyle surgical field but from what I saw the residents and to a lesser degree the attendings were slammed.

So what are the lifestyle ranges you have in this field? I know its not derm but is it a manageable lifestyle for most attendings and those in private practice?

Also what is the compensation like for this field. I always find it hard to believe the salary figures you see online. How much can you make here and what type of niches can you carve out to enhance that? What are the ranges any of you have heard for those out for a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know what people think of the new prostate screening guidelines. The commission said that they will likely revise it again in the future, probably reducing screening even more. What kind of impact will this have on the field?