Surgical Handbook for surgical intern, future Uro Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would like a piece of advice from urologists....what HANDBOOK should I use for my surgical intern year? And why ?
I would like something to help me survive clinical management mostly, not to ace pimping questions

Most suggested among gen surg residents are: mont reid, surgical oncall, washington manual of surgery...any other?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how much a manual will help. I had Washington but basically never opened it after the first few weeks. Most of what you are doing as an intern is scutwork---discharges, replacing electrolytes, ordering labs, managing nursing requests on the floor, managing IVF. It sounds scary now, but this stuff will become second nature to you within like 2 weeks. Most of it requires minimal thought.

I would buy the ICU Book and read that -- you will probably spend at least a few months in the ICU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the world of surgery, particularly urology.

Intern year mostly has its own education in itself. The most important business of the intern is doing what is told and saying what has happened. So, a manual will not be quite useful. Being practical and having attention have more importance than the knowledge. However, Washington Manual is a good fast-reference while in need. I also used that in my junior years. On the other hand I suggest you having a regular reading time daily from Campbell's. One or two pages a day will be ok. I hope you a nice residency period :)

Thank you! :):)

Washington manual is a good resource. When starting a new rotation I would read the relevant chapter the night before (usually only a couple of pages) just to have an idea of what was going on. Marino's The ICU Book was also a good reference, and something I still pull out every now and again.

I'd also echo @mestielest suggestion regarding reading Campbell's. You don't need to kill yourself with it- the chapters can be really dense and dry. Developing the habit of reading daily, even if for only 20 minutes, becomes much harder as you progress, and if you start that routine as an intern you'll thank yourself later.

Thanks a lot, all of you! Honestly, I appreciate yours tips:)