Questions about moving to St. Kitts for vet school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetGF

Reaction score
My partner and I are considering moving to St. Kitts so she can attend vet school and I wanted to find out some things to help us make an informed decision.
1. Will I be able to live with my partner during her time there? I keep seeing posts on other websites that you can only stay for 6 months out of the year.
2. Will I be able to work on St. Kitts? Some travel sites state that you cannot apply for a work permit once you get to the island...is that true? If I can't work are there volunteer opportunities so I am able to keep my resume "active"?
3. Recommendations for purchasing a car. We would rather live close to campus and not buy a car but, I have heard it is necessary. What are your thoughts?
4. We would be moving with our two dogs. What dog food is available on the island? I know that sounds pretentious but our dogs are our children.
5. Is the internet and electricity reliable? For instance, would I be able to pursue my master's effectively?

I have done a ton of research but the questions above are the ones I can't find a clear answer.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My partner and I are considering moving to St. Kitts so she can attend vet school and I wanted to find out some things to help us make an informed decision.
1. Will I be able to live with my partner during her time there? I keep seeing posts on other websites that you can only stay for 6 months out of the year.
2. Will I be able to work on St. Kitts? Some travel sites state that you cannot apply for a work permit once you get to the island...is that true? If I can't work are there volunteer opportunities so I am able to keep my resume "active"?
3. Recommendations for purchasing a car. We would rather live close to campus and not buy a car but, I have heard it is necessary. What are your thoughts?
4. We would be moving with our two dogs. What dog food is available on the island? I know that sounds pretentious but our dogs are our children.
5. Is the internet and electricity reliable? For instance, would I be able to pursue my master's effectively?

I have done a ton of research but the questions above are the ones I can't find a clear answer.
Thanks
1. Yep, you can! There’s some sort of visa thing you have to do but I have two friends that brought spouses and they’ve stayed on island pretty much the whole time (2 yrs now) and haven’t had to leave.
2. You can’t get an official job unless it’s something more specialized. Many VIPs work under the table at local restaurants/bars, as mechanics or pet sitters, or there are a few jobs (like Hill’s store) that you can get hired on for.
3. I bought a car right away and am so thankful I did. I like having the freedom to go wherever, whenever I want. Some people do get by without one, but honestly I think you miss out on a lot of what the island has to offer if you don’t have one. The good thing is is that the resell value is really great. I’m selling my car for what I paid for it. You just gotta be sure to find a reliable one (test drive it & have a mechanic check it out!). And there’s always rental options if you want to try that out before investing in a car.
4. There’s a Hills store on campus and that’s the most reliable and affordable option! The grocery stores carry a few brands like Pedigree and Purina (puppy chow, One—no ProPlan), but what they have in stock can vary by what they get in their shipment (goes really for anything in the grocery stores). So unfortunately if you see it one week, you might not see it the next.
5. The internet and electricity do go out occasionally. Not insanely often, but it does happen. There’s always the option to look into places that have generators and campus has generators, so it’s never a problem there. However, with Covid VIPs aren’t allowed on campus currently. They probably will be again though once restrictions start lifting!