Questions about KCU Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReginaGeorge

Reaction score
Hi, I have some questions about KCU-Joplin I was hoping someone could answer.

Where do students go for 3rd and 4th year rotations? It seems many stay in Joplin - is it possible to stay in Joplin and do rotations there for all 4 years?
Do you feel any disadvantages being students at the new campus?
How do Joplin students compare with KC students in terms of board scores and matching?
It seems a majority of Joplin students do not want to specialize/take the STEP, is this accurate?
Are you happy at Joplin or would you have liked to go somewhere else?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have some questions about KCU-Joplin I was hoping someone could answer.

Where do students go for 3rd and 4th year rotations? It seems many stay in Joplin - is it possible to stay in Joplin and do rotations there for all 4 years?
Do you feel any disadvantages being students at the new campus?
How do Joplin students compare with KC students in terms of board scores and matching?
It seems a majority of Joplin students do not want to specialize/take the STEP, is this accurate?
Are you happy at Joplin or would you have liked to go somewhere else?

Thank you!
Hey there, current 4th year at KCU Joplin--
1. You can find all the possible clerkship sites for 3rd year here Clerkships
2. It is absolutely possible to stay in Joplin and do all rotations there for all 4 years. Joplin has 2 hospitals that students do their rotations at-- Freeman or Mercy. If you go to Freeman, it's very easy to stay in this area because the clinical education people there will basically coordinate your schedule for you for 4th year if you want. I've done all my rotations at Freeman except a couple this year which I coordinated with a hospital back home. I've also felt no disadvantage to going to the new campus.
3. I'm not sure about how Joplin students compare with KC students as far as board scores and matching. For Matching, Joplin had a very solid match list for a DO school. For STEP, I doubt it's very different campus-to-campus because we have all the same lectures for each campus.
4. I can speak to my friend group and our step/specialty choices-- 10 people come to mind- 9 of us have taken both step 1 and 2. 3 of us want to do general surgery, 2 orthopedic surgery, 1 family medicine, 2 OB, 1 IM, and 1 pediatrics.
5. Overall, I'm happy in Joplin! It's really a nice community. We're also an hour north of Northwest Arkansas which is awesome for really anything you want to do (hiking, entertainment, etc). None of my gripes or complaints have anything to do with going to JOPLIN.

I go to KCU but at the KC campus. i doubt there is much of a meaningful difference in board scores between the two campuses. i think the KC campus is in a better city, but Joplin has better local rotation sites. Beyond that its probably mostly a wash

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m at KCU, 3rd year in Joplin. Yes, you can stay. You rank sites. Just rank Joplin first and second. Hospitals are great. Solid experiences.

Joplin is cheap, you are busy, it’s fine for the time you are here.

My scores, and the scores of my peers are way above average. Joplin and KC are one cohort, not separate. Same classes. Same exams. Same material.

The majority now take Step. Lot of people want to specialize and you are pretty much forced to with the merger.

I’ve been happy. Good friends. Gym. Decent nightlife when you want it. There are pros and cons for every program. Make it what you want. Cost of living is a steal.

Look at residency stats on our website. We had ortho, derm, uro, ent, lot’s of surg, etc. It’s been a great program. Joplin campus is newer, the rooms are newer. The sinukation center is great. The cafeteria has good food. I have minimal complaints.

Anyway, good luck.

How do you get matched to the clinical sites? Does everyone get where they want to go? Also, if you do clinicals in another state would you have to go back to the campus often?

How do you get matched to the clinical sites?
You rank them in order of preference roughly second semester of OMS2. You can write a letter to the director of medical education for your most preferred site. You can also write a letter explaining financial/social hardship and request one particular site.
Does everyone get where they want to go?
No, but something like >90% get in their top three I believe.
Also, if you do clinicals in another state would you have to go back to the campus often?
No. You have to go back at some point in 4th year for a CSA and for graduation.

Reactions: 1 users