General Admissions & OTCAS Question on listing courses in progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobihaha

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm currently in the final stages of finishing my OTCAS application but I have a question regarding listing courses in progress. I'm missing pre-reqs for three of the schools I'm applying to (SJSU, St. Augustine and Colorado State University) with the plan of taking them over the summer if I get accepted into their program. For example, I would take neuroscience at SJSU summer 2018 if I get accepted. However, I'm a little unsure of how I should list my courses in progress. From each schools website I've read that I must list my intended courses and they must be completed prior to fall. Should I list all my intended courses for each school, to show the school that I acknowledge I must take another class and plan on doing so. Or should I not list them? I've called OTCAS twice and was told each time not to list them. First, she said it might look bad for other schools to see that I am applying to multiple schools (which is unfair because we need to apply to multiple schools to increase our chances). Second, she said if I list planned courses and do not end up taking them, for example I get into SJSU and do not take the course I listed for St. Augustine, she's not sure how each school will respond to this. I'm not sure what to do at this point, is anyone else in the same situation? My gut tells me to list each course...

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 classes I still need to take and I just created a new semester for Spring 2018 since that's when I'm taking them and listed them as planned. So you're going to have to list the prereqs for each school in whatever semester you plan on taking them. As far as the schools seeing the other prereqs for different schools, I don't think that really matters? I'm sure it's assumed you're applying to more than one program and some people are still taking classes towards a bachelors so listing extra classes shouldn't matter. Idk if it will matter if you end up not taking them when you list them as planned though.

Personally, I would list them. The OTCAS person guiding you isn't very reassuring.

I have 2 classes I still need to take and I just created a new semester for Spring 2018 since that's when I'm taking them and listed them as planned. So you're going to have to list the prereqs for each school in whatever semester you plan on taking them. As far as the schools seeing the other prereqs for different schools, I don't think that really matters? I'm sure it's assumed you're applying to more than one program and some people are still taking classes towards a bachelors so listing extra classes shouldn't matter. Idk if it will matter if you end up not taking them when you list them as planned though.

Personally, I would list them. The OTCAS person guiding you isn't very reassuring.
Thank you for the reassurance! :) I'm going to list them. I don't see why I would be penalized for listing prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the reply!! I have the same question, but for my OCTAS transcript entry I didn't see the option of putting down 2018? So I'm wondering how you did it, thanks!!

Thank you for the reply!! I have the same question, but for my OCTAS transcript entry I didn't see the option of putting down 2018? So I'm wondering how you did it, thanks!!
You can't select 2018 from the drop down menu? I was able to put Spring for the term and 2018 for the year. And then just add the classes and say in progress/planned. That's strange if 2018 isn't an option since people can have a bachelors in progress and taking classes next semester so it needs to be an option

If it's a school you've already attended you can add a new semester and choose 2018 from the drop down menu. What I did for SJSU, is I added it as one of my colleges attended and then was able to list neuroanatomy as planned for summer 2018 (with the hopes that I get into SJSU). Hope this helps!

The only issue I could foresee (and I'm not sure if this is the case) is that I think OTCAS requires a transcript from every college you add to the list, so I don't know how it will work if you list a college you haven't actually attended yet. Also, last year, I heard that a lot of people ended up taking the course through UCLA rather than SJSU, so those might be some reasons to leave it blank, but I think you would be fine either way.

I'm applying to SJSU so I'm in the same boat. I think I'm just going to try to let the department know directly that I am planning to take the course.

Last edited:
The only issue I could foresee (and I'm not sure if this is the case) is that I think OTCAS requires a transcript from every college you add to the list, so I don't know how it will work if you list a college you haven't actually attended yet. Also, last year, I heard that a lot of people ended up taking the course through UCLA rather than SJSU, so those might be some reasons to leave it blank, but I think you would be fine either way.

I'm applying to SJSU so I'm in the same boat. I think I'm just going to try to let the department know directly that I am planning to take the course.

I was curious about that too but when I called OTCAS they said I did not need to send in a transcript for a school I haven't attended yet. I'm sure we're fine as long as they know we intend to take the course.